Posts by Vincent88

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The reason I suggested it, was because you are using your F50's power amp. That would mean you might want to take cab+mic profiling out of the equation, by using a DI profile.

All I know is that different mics can have an effect on the perceived punch, for instance SM58 has less punch than SM57 in my experience (probably due to the pop-filter). Big bands often put their amps under the stage, while monitoring the mic'ed signal. The punch remains, which suggests a good mic is chosen, among other things of course. ;) As you mention, the 'left-over' from the cab+mic profile could be killing the punch.

When I monitor the KPA through my stage wedges, I do get the punch but I have not tried it with an actual poweramp+cab.

One other thing; are you using a closed-back cab? Otherwise that might be (part of) the problem.

Personally I would take the jump. Ask yourself 2 questions:

- Do you like your mic'ed sound? (actually necessary if you are going to gig with it)
    - Do you mind not having that cool huge Orange cab and Engl or Peavey head behind you? ;)

If you can answer yes to both questions, you will love the Kemper! My plans were to profile my JCM800 2205 and Fender Blues Deluxe, but frankly the profiles that are available cover my ENTIRE sound. This is the first digital gear that actually sounds like tubeamps, even through stage monitors. The Bogner Ecstasy profile sounds even better than my real cranked JCM (even on bedroom volume!!), and the Fender models sound better than my BD. Need I say more? :thumbup:

Those air holes suggest it could be a tube poweramp... I sure hope it's not, one of the reasons I bought the Kemper was because I didn't want to rely on tubes... :S

Oh well, only time will tell.

A different way to achieve this, is to have a bank for every song. Then change the rig when you want to go from rhythmn to lead, to bridge for instance. That would mean a max of 4 sounds per song, with more stompbox versatility than a single rig. Just switch from left to right throughout the song, no need to remember which stomps to use. It's exactly how John Mayer does it.

Perhaps the user you mention that makes the poor models, has used cold biased amps that make them sound bad on just about any setting.

Also, the power tube saturation and speaker break-up help to shape the sound in a positive way. Perhaps the amp volume while profiling was too low to capture the potential of the amp, as the test signals did not quite reach the volumes that produce the best sound. So the profile has no information about the sweet spot.

A Marshall Plexi for instance, will sound pretty crappy on a low volume (IMO) but really shines if it's pushing some air!

So I believe you are right, turning the amp up to a sufficient volume seems to be vital in order to get a good profile.

The names are probably stored in the .kipr files themselves, so editing from the KPA seems to be the only way. Hex-editing apparently results in corrupted profiles that can brick the KPA so I wouldn't take that risk. :S

I don't have the Kemper yet, but I'll try to help.

Point one: I expect you have to use active monitors, as I believe the current Kemper has no powered outs. Btw, when you use your poweramp+cab, be sure to use an "empty" cab-sim for the best sound.

Two: I think the reason you should listen through studio monitors or PA, is that you can objectively A/B compare the two sounds. Without the tweeter you could miss those high frequencies that you have to refine to match the original sound. This can be vital if you don't use a cabinet on stage and go straight into the PA.