Posts by HappyKemper

In my opinion, it would be a monumental task to profile each amp in the Axe, and considering all of the possible settings for a given amp, it can get crazy. If I knew exactly how to go about profiling it, I'd give it a whirl with my Axe.

And also the monumental task of having to re-profile everything after each firmware change in the axe fx since they frequently change their amp sounds so it's impossible to have tone consistency. If eq tone matched patches are made in the Axe they have to be re-made after each firmware. The work around is jumping between several firmwares that all have different sounds but that becomes extremely time consuming.
    Having built a 100 patches that all needs to be re-tweaked and having a 100 eq tone matched patches that needs to be completely done again is a neverending Sisyphean task if one want to have new firmware features and also want to have the same consistent sound in the Axe fx.

Welcome to the forum televisual.
    Imagine if we all could be as pumped up as Hans & Franz
    :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Very nice Krikke!
    Your neighbors must be very sad you sold that amp.
    No longer will they feel the strong wind of brown tones coming their way from a blasting amp and 4x12.
    Wait, you can put the kemper on top and do the same so they don't have to worry.
    :thumbup:

The pure cab feature will not turn an frfr monitor into a guitar speaker, they are still two very different things.
    The pure cab will analyze and remove typhical strong mic artifacts that sometimes is heard, and it will analyze each profile differently depending on how much it detects, so it will never react the same on each profile.
    If you prefer the sound from guitar cab speakers (not miced sound) then play that, or do as I and have both options (cab and monitor) depending on the situation.

The kemper can get some people upset.
    A friend got several of his amps profiled and he got very upset when he discovered he couldn't tell the difference after having played several profiles when he thought it was his amps he played (others made the secret amp switching without telling him).
    :D

To me a Delay before the amp only makes sense if the amp is not too overdriven.
    But e.g. it's glorious before an AC30 that's on the edge of break-up. Dirty and organic.

+1. I prefer using the delay in front of the amp for specific styles since it gives a much more percussive, in your face, raw delay sound.
    Very different than the more subtle and polite delay sound placed after the amp.
    It's perfect for edge of breakup, light overdriven tones. Rockabilly, punk/surf and similar.

Some examples.

Dead Kennedys - Holiday in Cambodia

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Dead Kennedys-Police Truck

Dead Kennedys - Holiday In Cambodia Guitar Lesson

NAMM videos already showed a couple of examples

:)

Some of the videos found after a quick search showing the morphing feature

Morphing demo starts at 8 min

Thanks for the correct info.
    The Ax8 and Helix have the same dsp.
    They say the Ax fx 2 sound the same as the Ax8 (that use the same two dsp as the Helix).
    Ax8 and Axe fx 2 share the same algorithms and code so why would they sound different, sound quality is not in the dsp.

From Line6
    http://line6.com/support/topic/14264-helix-faq/
    "Helix is running two of the fastest non-TigerSHARC SHARCs you can buy—the 450 MHz ADSP-21469s—with dual MCUs (one for audio duties and another dedicated to nothing but UI). If I've read between the lines correctly, they're the exact same DSPs that'll be in Fractal's AX8, but I'm just making an educated guess here."

Ax8
    http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/a…g_and_multi-fx_pedalboard
    "Two dual-core 450 MHz ADSP-21469s and two microcontrollers. One is dedicated to amp modeling, the other to effects and housekeeping"

Cliff's comments about parts (much talk about power and numbers...)
    http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/a…ardware_model_differences
    "One of the Axe-Fx's DSPs is more powerful than both DSPs combined in the Helix. Our tests show that the TigerSHARC DSP used in the Axe-Fx is over twice as fast as the DSP used in the Helix clock-for-clock . Now add that our DSP is clocked 50% higher the net power is about three times greater. So a single TigerSHARC is about 50% faster than both DSPs combined on the Helix. Yes, if we decided to use both DSPs for effects then you would be able to run more effects. 99% of our customers buy the unit for amp modeling so it doesn't make sense to invest the time and resources to making this possible. Our algorithms are studio-quality and use more processing power than competing products. We've always been about quality over quantity. For example, our variable delay algorithm (chorus, flanger, etc.) uses poly-phase interpolation. EVERY competing product I have tested uses simple linear interpolation (or occasionally polynomial interpolation) which is far less computationally intensive but doesn't sound as good. This is demonstrable and measurable."

Generally speaking (not that this matters to me), what code runs on a given processor is much more critical than how powerful the processor is. The Profiler might not need a bigger chip.
    AFAWK, running a "profile player" might need much less power than running a modelled amp.

These comparisons don't really make sense to me

:)

Yes it's a fact that the sound quality comes from writing great algorithms, code and good efficient programming is needed to reduce cpu usage.
    A very fast cpu (expensive Tigersharc) is good for running a lot of things at once, but a cpu/dsp means nothing to the quality of sound.
    The dsp/cpu power wars are over since many years. A Tigersharc dsp is simply not needed for high quality algorithms and code. Some brands still like to market their product by saying how important an expensive cpu is for sound (when it isn't). For me if I want the highest quality effects I prefer other gear and plugins, not the Axe fx or kemper effects (but they offer a very good compromise in one box). A digital amp device can have the newest most powerful and expensive cpu and still sound very bad compared to a much cheaper cpu box.

Imo kemper have a very different technology platform than the axe fx and also seems to have much more cpu efficient algorithms and program code so they are not easy to compare that way. Kemper won't do dual amps but I don't see any reason at all why the kemper can't get an excellent spring reverb. More reverbs, delays and other features will come. Imo the kemper has only been out 4 years compared to Axe fx 10 years so they have 6 years of extra development. C.Kemper has said there is room for a lot of new features and that it's not cpu limited yet. They opted for that cpu for a reason, enough power available and low cost. Kemper seem to aim for a much longer product lifespan than the axe fx 2 (see product history).

Delays don't require a lot of cpu power. From what I've read from NAMM it looks like kemper will offer more delay features than many other competitors. A great sounding spring reverb is in the algorithms, and to me the Axe fx spring is not very good compared to other units (the Helix spring reverb and pitch is worse and it's also using expensive dsp, same as Ax8).

Both Axe and kemper have high quality pro effects and there are several effects I prefer in the kemper over some in the Axe fx. Some I prefer in the Axe fx and it has more quantity effects, but not more quality. Saying that all effects in one unit is better makes no sense since they are all different.

I prefer the kemper space reverb, Wah wah, chorus, rotary, compressor, noise gates, tuner, pitch & harmony sound and features.
    Kemper has a big advantage with the pitch effects with great tracking, transpose and some unique features like formant shift and pure tuning. With so expensive processors in the Axe fx (and in helix) it's a mystery why fractal after so many years are behind both kemper, Digitech and Electroharmonix when it comes to pitch effects. It's another proof that quality is about algorithms and not expensive dsp (good for quantity).