Posts by miles

Nice, VERY close to perfection! Now, where's your idea for a front USB pen drive connector?

When I have the unit in the rack, I use a little 2 ft. USB extension with a female connector—which faces forward toward the front of the rack—allowing me to access the USB port without going behind the rack. :thumbup:

I also made a wrapped snake for the KPA for tidy and easy unit relocation (I have 3 primary operation locations), but to avoid the connectors getting any tension exerted on them during these moves, I got some of those nylon wire tie down thingies (you can see them in one of the pics holding the input cable in place) that secure the snake to a couple of the chassis screws on the back. As you can see, the power cable is running in the snake, but after careful listening, I can hear no trace of it's presence within such close proximity to the audio cables.

[Blocked Image: http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af208/Futurist/Kemper/IMG_0005a_zps6c91b25d.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af208/Futurist/Kemper/IMG_0006_zps43c06282.jpg]

Yeah, they look nice

Since this thread has been resurrected, here are recent pics of my now fully knob'ed KPA—note the rubber amp feet on the sides, which I prefer grabbing when moving around the studio (plus it looks cool):

[Blocked Image: http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af208/Futurist/Kemper/IMG_0002_zps5faa79f1.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af208/Futurist/Kemper/IMG_0004_zps7db720b0.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af208/Futurist/Kemper/IMG_0006_zps43c06282.jpg]

Record each step after profiling and you will hear the loss.

To be clear, I hear absolutely no loss of high frequency in my clean profiles, I was merely suggesting a method to enhance what you may perceive as less-than-expected "air".

The way to add air—as in, the highest frequencies—that you perceive to be lacking, is to simply plug the Studio Equalizer into the X slot, adjust the High Freq to at least 14k or even much higher, then add the desired amount of High Gain (maybe 1 or 2 db).
    I do this a lot on clean and low gain profiles—not to make up for a deficit in the profiles upper frequencies, but to add sparkle in the "air band". Mid to high gain profiles don't usually need this treatment as much because you end up with sizzle and can loose warmth... unless that is what your after.
    Since this extra air extension is in addition to other potential high freq boosting throughout the signal chain, a little goes a long way, and must be added judiciously.

I haven't profiled anything on the beta, but I imagine if they fixed it it'd be mentioned on the description which it isn't.

For those of us that profile a lot, this is a bit of a drag, and with no sign of an editor/lib any time soon, the tagging problem remains to be an issue, and I'm hoping it will be fixed in the next firmware.

6 weeks now, and no response from tech support. :S

One thing I have found different about the way the KPA profiler interprets the sound versus micing a live cab is, that when the slightest amp eq change is made, it has a large effect on the KPA profile, where making that slight amp eq change on a live miced amp is more subtle.

I have been profiling my Friedman Brown Eye (again) for days, and am getting a great non-fizzy tone, but there is always an abundance of low frequency that has to be carved out with all my 4x12 hi-gain profiles due to the fact that I tend to profile with my amp's eq's generally at 4 or less. This does lead to excess bass energy which I sculpt to fit the profile, but the mid's and high's are much smoother and like-a-record.

I recommend taking your favorite profiles, and mixing-in your KPA with records you are familiar with, and hearing how either too-bright or too-bassy many profiles are, and to get a reference what great recorded tone should sound like.

Yes. It,s a very annoying problem indeed... :S
    .....but for some reason I am more disturbing by the missing of some essential functions like midi out (without can.t exist a librarian and editor) :(
    I believe that all naming and editing problems could be resolved with an editor. ;)

Even if we don't get an editor/lib any time soon, at least they could take care of this important issue. I'm surprised this obvious problem still exists.

It is indeed tedious having to do all this editing to the tags.
    Please report back from support.

I contacted them 1 week ago about this (though I really should have spoke-up sooner).
    I will post when I hear back from them.

Since the beginning, the KPA has had this problem—Lets say you are profiling a Mesa amp and a Marshall cab, and that you have already created and named the rig, and you are now creating a new profile. The new profile should carry over the names and info of the amp and cab just like the previous rig, but the tagging assistant names the new cab the same as the amp—so I end up with a Mesa amp and a Mesa cab! In fact, that's not all that's wrong.

This demonstrates the problem—I took a rig and named the info for the amp and cab this way (and saved the rig):

Amp Name — A
    Author — B
    Profiling Location — C
    Artist — D
    Source Amp — E
    Amp Model — F
    Amp Buildyear — G
    Amp Channel — H
    Pickup Type — I
    Amp Comment — J

Cab Name — 0
    Author — 1
    Profiling Location — 2
    Artist — 3
    Source Cab — 4
    Cab Model — 5
    Cab Config — 6
    Mic Type — 7
    Mic Position — 8
    Cab Comment — 9

I then made a new profile and expected that the info copied exactly, but that is not what happens—instead, here is what I get:

Amp Name — A
    Author — Miles (KPA Owner)
    Profiling Location — C
    Artist — Miles
    Source Amp — A
    Amp Model — A
    Amp Buildyear — G
    Amp Channel — H
    Pickup Type — I
    Amp Comment —

Cab Name — A
    Author — Miles
    Profiling Location — C
    Artist — Miles
    Source Cab — A
    Cab Model — A
    Cab Config — 6
    Mic Type — 7
    Mic Position — 8
    Cab Comment —

If you look carefully you see that this doesn't make sense—the KPA does this naming automatically—the Author and Artist may not be the same as the KPA owner, and neither the cab or amp comments are copied over at all. Of course you can see that the cab and amp info is mostly wrong as well, plus, on the Tagging Assistant 3/3, the Mic Type is listed twice.

I do a ton of profiling, and this tagging problem makes for lots of extra work in renaming so much wrong info. I contacted support last week about this, but no word yet.

Am I missing something here? Shouldn't all the info be copied exactly?

I use the Altiverb convolution plug-in with my KPA, and the realism that is possible is stunning... I highly recommend it. You can create space and air around a virtual amp (or any sound for that matter) that isn't possible with typical digital reverbs. It's fairly processor-intensive, and I would guess that such an effect would not likely be possible in the current KPA, but would be the ultimate effect for a future KPA.

Sony MDR-7506 for me... I find their brightness as being beneficial in tweaking rigs, and my profiles end up being slightly warmer as a result. They don't provide super long-term comfort (about an hour, and then I rest for ten minutes), but they are very common in pro studios even though there are higher priced choices... I mix with them also for their Yamaha NS10-like slightly hyped top-end. A very good real-world reference.

When I updated to 1.60 I just checked the artifacts (even did a clip for this in the famous thread) - artifacts are gone.

That was interesting how your clip in the aliasing thread didn't reveal the artifact, but my clip did reveal it—the aliasing actually isn't "gone" as I still notice it occasionally, but it is reasonably and satisfyingly reduced.

I'm glad you and others have finally solved your update problem.

can anybody reproduce this:

Strange when I go to Output page 5/5 and turn the 'Aux In Volume' some times from 0 to 10 - the sound get bad again and the overall volume output of the KPA is very low - only a full reboot brings me back.

Yeah, I hear this too, but simply turning the master volume briefly to wide open brings the level back to normal—no tonal change occurred at any point.