Posts by ampjunkie

Hi CUBE -- can you detail your signal path using XLRs? That may be my problem also. From the SM57, I use a XLR to TRS adapter into a mic pre, and from there to the audio interface, etc, it is all TRS. From the audio interface out, I use TRS to XLR adapter to go into the XLR Kemper return input. Maybe there is where the issue is -- I should use the TRS return input instead?

I am thinking -- probably should try going from the SM57 into the mic pres of the audio interface (all XLR), and from the audio interface out to the KPA -- use all TRS. That way, there's no adapters, etc.

BTW, I did profile using only a SM57 with no mic pre or DAW in the path -- just the XLR out of the mic into the Kemper return input XLR. Results were the same. So maybe the XLR input is somehow messed up? I sure hope not ...

I did the experiments, and in the end, all the profiles I did have the same general volume level, and nearly the same default settings. That is a good sign I guess since the basic sound was there. Though running it though the mic pre/DAW/EQ did help to give it better definition, less low-end woofiness, etc. I am thinking -- maybe there is limiting/compression going on in the distortion OD that I am using? In any case, how do I post it or attach it as a file to a posting? Thanks for everyone's help!

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the suggestions. There must be something strange going on with my signal path. I am going to try these things to debug:

1. Lower return input level. Intuitively, this should not affect anything, but I am going to try anyways
    2. Remove tube mic pre from the path. This has both input and output gain adjustments. This is how I am adjusting the levels
    3. Remove the audio interface completely and take the SM57 out right into the Kemper

I have seen varying differences in profile volumes -- esp for clean or OD tones. It's not a huge deal, but I have seen a few great profiles that are OD based (slightly overdriven) where the volume is very good and much higher than what I am getting -- and the settings are almost the same as my profile (gain, volume, EQ, etc.) -- so just wondering how this is achieved ...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't have any limiters or compressors in the path, though i do have a plugin in the DAW that is a "colored" EQ which could be doing something. However, the track levels are low as I mentioned earlier (way less than -18 DBFS), yet the Kemper return input will still say it is clipping.

The DAW uses an audio interface, and I took one of the stereo main outs (L channel) and put that into the Kemper return. I monitored everything using the Kemper headphones out.

When I profiled, I was very close to clipping the return input level. Should I try and re-profile at much lower levels? Note really sure what else I can do other than tweak the rig levels as suggested previously, but that leaves me with less room to go higher if I need to.

I can tweak the volume (far right bottom knob), but that is default set at noon as is the gain. If I set the Master vol at something like 5, and switch to a similar profile of an OD with similar gain and vol settings, my newly created profile volume is lower -- even with the same master volume settings.

The question is -- why is my profile lower in volume than other profiles with almost similar gain, volume, EQ, etc. default values? Note that some profiles I am comparing to are lower in overdrive/distortion also, yet louder in volume.

I've been experimenting on making a few profiles using an OD pedal into a clean amp, then a 2x12 mic'ed by an SM57. This goes into a tube pre, then the DAW for some minor EQ, then back out of the DAW into the Kemper return (set at 0.0dB). I had to carefully manipulate the gain staging so that the mic input gain was at a good level, then adjusted the tube pre out with the DAW track sliders at 0.0 dB so that the Kemper return input did not give an error due to clipping. I have some questions which hopefully someone on the forum can shed some light on :

[1] I noticed that the DAW levels were well below -18dBFS, so was curious why the Kemper input was clipping (and thus giving an error during profiling).

[2] After I backed off the gain so that there was no error msg for clipping on the Kemper return, everything worked great. The amp is set pretty loud, and during profiling, it does get very loud. I did not do any refining either. But I found the volume level of the newly created profile a lot lower than some other profiles that have similar gain and distortion levels. I need to crank up the master level a lot higher to match levels of other profiles. I looked at those other profiles, and no increases in EQ or amp/cab volume were done to them. Is there a way that the default volume level can be increased?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

There are basically two reasons why I disagree with the linked article:

1. It has been showed that
    a. many musical instruments carry information above 20 kHz;
    b. people (us) perceive ultra-high frequencies, using other "organs" than ears.

2. When a signal is very low in level, having a higher resolution array (24 or 32 Vs. 16-bit) leaves much more resolution available. Think of a person in a theater coughing in the last row of chairs, an actor whispering his hate while dying, or the fading echo of a strings chord resonating in a church. With 16 bit there are no more than 7-8 possible different sound levels, which of course become much more when the word lenght is higher, rendering a much more realistic sound scene.

Here's my opinion on this subject ...

1a. Yes, music instruments carry info above 20 kHz. But the power in that spectrum is very low
    1b. I would like to see any scientific study that shows people can perceive (double-blind testing) frequencies significantly above 20 kHz at the power levels that normal musical instruments demonstrate. People can definitely feel low frequencies, but I doubt they can really perceive > 20 kHz.

2. 16-bit means 2^16 different levels. That is 65536 different levels. 24-bit is even better, and is only available in consumer audio today due to much better A/D and D/A techniques (mostly oversampling and delta-sigma) which enabled using lower tolerance, cheaper components. 32b converters are rare -- because at that level, the least significant bit (LSB) is much less than the thermal noise of the passive components at room temp. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog-to-digital_converter.

In general, I am not sure high-bit, high sample-rate audio will take off. Most people can't perceive the difference. But then again, if it is perceived to be better and doesn't cost that much more, the placebo effect will certainly take hold and it could be popular....

I've conversed with Deaj in the past on different things on TGP, and he is a class act. He loves his Axe-FX II, but doesn't enter into the endless bickering and the "mine is bigger than yours" behavior that you see from many Axe-FX owners on the forums. There's moderators there too that get caught up in this also -- all too often just asking people to chill and play and enjoy the options -- yet constantly butting into threads to champion their beloved modeler and put down the competition. It definitely gets tiring. I guess their behavior mimics the company owner. :)

Definitely love Canada! One of the few who dared to move from the USA to Canada and haven't looked back.

Have you tried the profile Holdsworthy by Ruppert? Very smooth for violin-like lead playing. There's no spikey fizziness. It could be too mushy for some, so you might need to tighten it up with some EQ and add a bit more presence/treble.

For EJ's lead tone, he specifically uses a bridge pickup, but almost all the tone controls on his effects are rolled off -- the Tube Driver, Marshall, etc. So there's a lot of treble at the source, but it's EQ'd out it out to get that smooth, violin-like lead tone.

Would love to have someone profile his lead, rhythm, and clean signal chains (without the delay and chorus of course)!

If there are any plans to get it to iOS, please include Android as well. I agree that the tablet might be a good platform to host Rig Manager. This is because:

* Profiles are small in size so it doesn't take up a lot of valuable flash space in the mobile device
    * Scrolling using the touchscreen is convenient and intuitive, esp with the way RM is already configured
    * If you are only using it to load and audition profiles, you don't need to type extensively, so a physical keyboard is not really necessary (something that tablets lack of course).
    * Small form factor which can be propped up right next to or on top of the Kemper

But if I had a choice between any mobile OS, MAC, or Windows -- I'd still choose the latter. Just a lot more options and availability of hardware.

+1

The size of the Rig Exchange should have absolutely nothing to do with this option.

Please make it an option to remove the pop-up window for people who audition many profiles. As you mention, it isn't a lot of effort to change something to remove the window, but it does upset the workflow and runs counter to almost any kind of software behavior out there. When I double click on a profile in RM, it should just download to the Kemper and be there -- ready to audition.

You can keep the pop-up window there as the default option.