Posts by skoczy

What settings were you using with "Kemper Kone" and "Monitor Cab Off" - both selected? What kind of profiles did you try (gainy or cleaner)?

I am seeing a lot of reports that the Kabinet doesn't really work much for high gain.

That is a huge bummer, if it is true. I have seen some videos where they say it's great, but I've seen more reviews that it is not up to the mark.

Perhaps you want to switch the Kabinet to FRFR mode as Mr CK suggested in another post? Could you report back after that please?

What do you mean by FRFR mode? I tried with selected "Kemper Cone" and selected "Monitor Cab Off" - sounded so so... then I tried with selected "Kemper Cone" and unselected "Monitor Cab Off" was really fizzy - had to set High Cut around 5500Hz. With unselected "Kemper Cone" and unselected "Monitor Cab Off" it was dull. I'm having hard time to judge it.

I picked up a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 yesterday and it sounds very promising. I like it because you can run Stereo out of the KPA through the 700 into two speaker kabs. The Fryette PS2 (which I have and really like) will only allow a mono signal in. I haven't used it out on a job yet so reserving all out positive message until I do.

But on stereo out you don't have Kone technology and imprints, right?

So played with Kemper + Fryette PS-2 + Kabinet.

Thoughts:

Fender amps / Vox amps with imprints (Jen P12R, Jen C12N Ceramic) sound definitely amp-in-the -roomish (Kemper Cone and Monitor Cab Off selected in OUTPUT menu). This I could not get with Yamaha DXR10.

High gain amps... this is tough to say. With "Kemper Cone" and "Monitor Cab Off" selected in OUTPUT menu I could not hear amp in the room so much (I heard it maybe once in guitar shop...) - well it was maybe there, when I set VOLUME on PS-2 to noon, but then my neighbours have to like metal music as well. But I don't find as much distinction between imprints, as it is on cleaner rigs.

I will compare once again with DXR10, but on cleaner profiles it sounds flat.

So played with Kemper + Fryette PS-2 + Kabinet.

Thoughts:

Fender amps / Vox amps with imprints (Jen P12R, Jen C12N Ceramic) sound definitely amp-in-the -roomish (Kemper Cone and Monitor Cab Off selected in OUTPUT menu). This I could not get with Yamaha DXR10.

High gain amps... this is tough to say. With "Kemper Cone" and "Monitor Cab Off" selected in OUTPUT menu I could not hear amp in the room so much (I heard it maybe once in guitar shop...) - well it was maybe there, when I set VOLUME on PS-2 to noon, but then my neighbours have to like metal music as well. But I don't find as much distinction between imprints, as it is on cleaner rigs.

I will compare once again with DXR10, but on cleaner profiles it sounds flat.

One thing Fryette PS-2 has a fan, which is audible when I don't play and it is silent. When I play anything in normal volumes it tends to be lost within the guitar sound... however I was not aware of this. I wonder if Kemper's poweramp (I have unpowered unit) or Ritter's retrofit amps do the same amp-in-the-room on cleanish profiles....

Anybody can help me figuring out, what impedance of amp top choose (where I connect Kemper's Cabinet Output...)?

Tha manual of PS-2 says:

9. AMPLIFIER IMPEDANCE – Sets the impedance of the internal reactive load for optimum performance

from your amplifier. Simply set the impedance selector switch for the impedance required by

your amplifier.

nightlight  Crossroads ??

Kemper' manual doesn't say anything about output impedance:

 Analog Outputs

MAIN OUTPUTS L and R: XLR balanced ¼-inch TS unbalanced with ground lift, max output level: XLR +22 dBu, TS +16 dBu

MONITOR OUTPUT: ¼-inch TS unbalanced with ground lift, max output level: +16 dBu

DIRECT OUTPUT/SEND: ¼-inch TS unbalanced with ground lift, max output level: +16 dBu Output dynamic range: >108 dB

HEADPHONE Output: ¼-inch TRS stereo, 32-600 ohms, 330 mW @ 32 ohms, 220 mW @ 600 ohms

ckemper - maybe you could help?

do you really mean Pre Amp only - ie profiles which bypassed the power amp or were made with something like a Mesa Triaxis, ADA MP1 etc - or just Kemper Direct Amp Profiles (no cabinet used).

if genuine preamp only, I don’t think there would be any way to locate those but I wouldn’t be worried about that. Very few people make preamp only profiles. Even those commercial profilers which sell preamp packs usually still run the preamp into a suitable poweramp when making direct profiles as the poweramp is a bog part of the sound. I tried profiling my Triaxis with and without the 2:ninety poweramp. The profiles without the power amp were dull and lifeless compared to those with the 2:ninety. You could argue that your Fryette will do the job of the poweramp with a preamp only profile but I am a little sceptical of that idea as the Fryette appears to be specifically designed to be a transparent as possible.

i you mean Direct Amp Profiles I would search for the amp you want then order those by cabinet and select only N/A

Thanks Wheresthedug - I meant only preamp profiles (not profiles without just cabinet and mike...). But if you say, that this has no big advantage over Direct Amp Profiles (without a cab and mike) or even maybe worse, I won't bother then. My Fryette is on the way back to UK, they sent me PS-100 instead of PS2 ;-)

Just before moment courier ringed my door. I was expecting Fryette PS-2.

I took the box, it was quite heavy. When I came to my room I noticed the box says: Fryette PS-100 (thougth, maybe someone put it in spare box...).

I opened it and it is Fryette PS-100.

Called guitarguitar.co.uk and they will arrange courier to get PS-100 back and send me PS-2.

Mistakes happen, it's the way how we handle them, which makes our attitude.

Sill waiting for Kemper Kabinet.

Hopefully, they don't send me Stage ;-)

Since my Kabinet is on the way as well as Fryette-PS2 tube power amp, I wonder how to select Preamp Only profiles from Rig Exchange, since there is no filter to apply..