Posts by jakeykim

Would you like
    - The six button design (bank buttons second row) or five button design (bank buttons third row)?
    - The bank buttons left aligned or right aligned? (Some might like to use the left food while playing cause you don't move the guitar by your left leg)
    - The rig buttons or the effect buttons on the lowest row?

- right
    - rig

The Performance Mode is delayed due to shifted prioritiies.
    Most of the functionality can be covered by midi prg chg assignments.
    There is no other Product out there with Performance Mode, so we don't consider this to be the the most urgent feature.

I cannot remember to have announced an Editor.

CK

CK,

The problem with using midi prg chg assignments is that, w/o Midi pedal attached, you cannot browse and play through your "set list". After you manage to assign Midi Prg Chg to the rigs you want for your songs, there seems no other way to recall one of them than search back the rig (in a hundreds of rigs..). When I worked with my Midi pedal hooked up, KPA would somehow "forget" the assignment whenever I edit some stomps and store again, which drove almost crazy. This seems like a bug, but I didn't report it yet because I didn't have time to summarize the steps to cause the bug (midi assignment being forgotten).

I suppose Performance mode is a way to create a set list that i can browse through easily and rename/edit without increasing the number of Rigs... If so, it is really a necessary and high-priority feature. (But I understand if there's higher priority work, but would appreciate it if they are known to users)

Also, the more I get to know about how KPA works (stores, edit, search Rigs, Amps etc), I get to want the editor (librarian) the more. I think "itunes" type of Editor/Librarian would be the most wanted feature at this moment by me (in addition to others such booting time improvement, controller etc). I am pretty sure now that I am not alone.

I have a gig coming in 2 weeks, where I am asked to cover 20 songs from all different artist... I was initially very excited to use KPA but now i realized that it isn't a very practical idea to use it, at least at my first rehearsal, which is tomorrow. Given a song, I just have no idea how I can start searching for a "rig" that will best suit the song. I pulled out my trusty Zoom G3 (with Edit and Share program) and was done quickly. Both Performance mode and Editor/Librarian are really needed soon for KPA to become a versatile tool that matches its sound quality.

Jake

Thanks Jake!
    They sound great. I will use these for sure.
    I would love to have a profile of the Piranha preamp in a clean setting with out a cab.

Thanks again Bill

Thank you, Bill. I am actually a fan/user of your profiles :)

As far as the clean profiling is concerned, my understanding is that KPA's cab section contains 100% information (for power amp/cab) and a generic preamp is selected and fixed prior to profiling. This means that, no-cab clean profile of preamp-only setup will produce identical results, no matter what preamp is used as reference amp. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!
    Jake

Glad you liked it. This preamp has pretty versatile EQ with sweepable mid frequency. One could get very wide range of tone from it. I like Ch.3, but the setting I profiled today may not have been the best I could get. I will try some other setting later.

Anyway, I am VERY impressed by Kemper's profiling results. To my ears, the results sounded 100% identical (both sound and feel) through my monitor.

Jake

Hi,

I finally got some occasion to profile my *only* preamp I have: Rocktron Piranha. Setup was quite easy. The profile is "preamp-only". I don't have good mic to use for whole rig profiling...

Anyhow, my impression for the first profiling experience is... "scary". Through my monitor (actually i used my MosValve power amp to Avatar 2x12 for monitoring, as I am profiling only preamp), I could not actually distinguish between the Kemper and Reference, as soon as profiling was finished... At least on my monitoring setup, I just couldn't hear the difference.... Seriously, it scared me... :thumbup:

I did Ch2 and Ch3. Uploaded two versions of each channel, no cab version (as i find very slight difference in tone when i bypass the cab) and the version with "legendary" or "Kemper official high-gain" cab, Tills 06 (which TM06 stands for). Hope you find it usable.

Jake

Yesterday, I found the box my KPA was packaged sitting on a shelf in the garage. Then I saw the side of the box saying: "Made In Germany" in a huge font... I must have been too anxious to play that thing! :( Anyway, I flattened the box and put it among other recycle shipping boxes, knowing that I would not need it for quite some time. --Jake

Profiling just a distorted pre amp produces some very nasty ass upper end harmonics that are not listenable.
    I wounder if the Kemper is not tuned to profile them.
    You normally would never want it in your signal.
    A better approach would be to profile you pre amp with some sort of cabinet simulation on and then remove the Kemper cabinet after the profile is done.

This would work, if there's a guarantee that nothing else but the "Cab sim" is taken out, when removing the cabinet on Kemper.

Mr. Kemper, would you recommended the above method over using the preamp's actual send output?

Jake

Although I don't really care who makes the pedal for KPA, I am a big fan of what CK initially proposed in another thread, with only missing point being the Rig name display.

I want the KPA controller to be (1) affordable (2) not too complex (too many buttons) (3) bidirectional (buttons setting synchronized w/KPA, rigname display etc).

With generic controllers out there, it's very hard to get all the above done w/o paying a fortune.

I believe CK's initial proposal is very well thought of. For instance, with 4 effect buttons - each of which can be programmed to switch up to 3 effects - hopefully including "boost" and "loop", I don't think there would be anything I can't do.

Just my opinion, of course.

Jake

The Axe presets I tried actually sounded terrible. Sorry, they were just 2 dimensional, dead and unresponsive and had all the hallmarks of a sim that I got the Kemper to avoid in the first place.

Per, was it the Axe version 6.0 (new presets) that you tried? I tried tones from version 5.0x and preferred KPA, which was why I went with KPA. Just curious how much improvement was there.

Thanks for the answer! Pleased to confirm this... :thumbup:

BTW, all the people (mostly non-guitar-players) raves the classic look of my KPA. The same comment from them tends to be how expensive it looks. Never got the similar comment with any of my other rack gears.

Jake

Could any Axe II owner kindly profile the new 50 presets in AxeFx II? I have Standard, but moved KPA instead of upgrading to II after A/B'ing. But, it would be great to have them profiled! :)

Jake

Sorry if this was already asked and answered. I could not find "made in..." or "assembled in..." anywhere on my KPA or the box. So, I am curious. Is it made in Germany? ?(

Jake

Undoubtedly, the editor/librarian appears to be the most wanted in the feature request.

While using the iTunes on the computer (i don't usually listen to music through iTunes; only use it just for iPod interface), it came to my mind that, KPA's profiles interface are pretty much analogous to the music files interface on iPod. So, naturally, iTunes style interface seems pretty ideal to me. The left-most column may have the fields like "Amp", "Author", "Name", etc. Upon clicking on 'Amp', for example, the right-side column will display all the profiles having the selected amp, and so forth... We can apply all the sorting method iTunes uses. How do you think? 8o

This sounds to me like a greatidea, especially, in the sense that it applies "profiling" idea to the problem, which is the main capability of the KPA. As an engineer myself, I am not sure it will be easy to implement though. Some kind of change in the cost function may be needed, if any optimization is being performed in the system identification (profiling) process.

Jake

Thank you for the effort and time taken to reveal this. I am an FRFR guy, so this could be less of a concern. However, it could be a rather significant concern for Amp/Cab people and is likely to be the reason why the total cab separation cannot happen in KPA. I guess this might apply to some degree to distorted amps profiling. I always wondered how changing the cab would make such a dramatic difference in KPA. I've been using modellers for so many years that I know how big impact cab IR may have on the modelled amp's sound character. Even if considering that, the influence appears to be much bigger with KPA. For example, replacing a cab section of a not-so-good-sounding(-to-me-on-my-setup) profile with a Till's cab would make a huge difference, making it sound a lot better, but at the same time, sound quite similar to many of my other profiles with their cab section replaced by the Till's cab.

Unless there is some convincing improvement on cab separation algorithm, I believe the KPA should be advertised as a profiling amp that is to be used only with FRFR amplification.

You may first want to check "Master" button to see if the setting is right. If you have already done so, you may try resetting KPA. When my S/PDIF out had no sound after upgrading FW to 1.0.7, the resetting it as instructed by the support fixed the issue. Here's how I did reset: (1) press and hold "AMPLIFIER" and "CABINET" button while powering up by turning the chicken head knob to "PROFILER". (2) Hold the buttons until I see "Initializing...". I did not lose the profiles or rigs, but I did lose the MIDI assignment. You may want to make a backup before doing this. If this resetting ever fixes your issue, do not restore the backup directly, because it will reload the setting that caused the issue. -Jake