Posts by HollowAxis

Rating isn't important to me at all.
    I'll still make up my mind about which profiles I like and dislike.

Having it all organised on the download page would be great though.
    And the ability to download more than one at once.

Organised into various categories and easy to find, instead of reading one long list of things.
    That would be great.

I do lots of compound bends. lots
    I have my guitars set up correctly, with a variety of string gauges.
    I use high gain profiles sometimes.
    Sometimes I add more gain, this weekend I threw on a Devi Ever Rocket (Which has insane amounts of gain) (and is rubbish in case anyone was thinking of getting one, tis being returned)

I have no issues.

I'm not crying foul at all.
    The point of my story is that the very first time I happened to show it off to someone, who was really impressed, is the first and only time I had an error.

Poor timing really.

I had a whole back of the house to record in when I was in SA.
    Control room and instruments room, though there was no window between them :p

I'm from Johannesburg.
    Well, Alberton actually.

When my band ( http://www.desertdisguise.com ) broke up (Because the other main guy moved to Tampa)
    I moved here to London.

I'm also not using any of the profiles of modellers, haven't even tried them.
    Amps amps amps amps amps!
    I'm here for the amps!
    Amps I would've never been able to get or ones that would've cost me a months salary.
    Amps amps amps

Just installed the Carr & Tupelo profiles.
    and used Fecks Dr. Z Maz 38 profile to record a fuzzy Dinosaur Jr. -ish song.

I love this thing. So much.
    Options options options.
    :D

Those POD devices never interested me at all
    :p

I never used one.
    I'm glad I didn't mess around with any modelling stuff.

Was all tube amps and mics till I moved to London.
    In South Africa I had the room to make noise and mic things up.
    Full drums kits and loud as I wanted amps.

Here I had to look into going silent more of the time.
    I had a Palmer PDI-03 for a few months. Which was actually really great.

I'm glad I've ended up with the KPA.
    Options, I like having lots and lots of options.

I'm on 1.0.6
    I can't recall what profile we were on when it happened.
    I would've liked to load that up tonight and try it for a while to see if it crashed again.
    Oh well.

It has been flawless besides this so doesn't really bother me, just wish I had recorded the error or could get some sort of log file to figure out exactly what it was.

That might be it.
    There are profiles I don't use often, and we were jumping around through all of them to show him different sounds.
    I have used all of the profiles I've kept in the kemper.

I don't have many. Perhaps 100 - 120, would have ot check.
    I've deleted any I didn't like or wouldn't use.
    Possible that there could be a corrupt one in there.

I know.
    I would report any error and help where I could.
    But it literally sat on the screen for about 10 seconds, I said something to the guy sitting next to me and before I contemplated getting my phone to take a photo the KPA rebooted.

It came back absolutely fine and normal, right back to the profile we were using.
    I used it Sunday and yesterday to record again, no issues.

Does it keep a log file or create a dump or something that I can access?
    I'll happily send off a log to support if there are such things...

Interesting thing happened to me on the weekend.

I have had not a single error on my Kemper.
    At all.
    Been smooth sailing since I plugged it in, besides the pops issue in 1.0.5
    I'm on 1.0.6 now with no issues.
    Using it daily for at least 4 hours a day, sometimes much more when I can.

...but this may be because of how I use it.

Had a friend around on the weekend and he mentioned he had started using POD exclusively, not the HD, just a smaller one.
    And was thus all into modelled sounds and how they are better than real amps.
    I made him try out my KPA.

He was obviously suitably impressed. We were both praising it and enjoying flipping through many rigs and stomps.
    He was stunned by the thing basically.

Right in the middle of all this the KPA throws up an error screen and reboots itself.
    First time I have ever seen it do that.

The first words out of my friends mouth were
    "Ah mate, this thing sounds good but I need someting reliable, that would scare me"

Literally the first error I've seen on mine.
    Sigh.

I basically pick a rig, tweak it and record.
    I have cabs I like and always go to.
    I've found rigs I like and always go to.
    I import a new few that interest me every now and then from the rig exchange.
    I've profiled my amp and use those profiles often.

Other than that I don't fly through settings or tweak endlessly, I'm too busy using it to record songs.

I hope it becomes rock solid stable in a short while, otherwise I'm not sure how many people will pick them up.
    Early adopters have got them. We've made the choice.
    Now the general, less brave crowd of guitarists needs to be convinced of the KPA and its virtues.
    I know of at least one potential customer that has been put off.
    Unfortunate timing, but true.

We must have the same ears :|

I find all the ones you've done useable, with the odd tweak.
    Hadn't heard of the Orangutan at all before I looked up what it was (After using your profiles). The ones you tagged as Stranded are all awesome.

I did my profiles pretty quick, just an Audix i5 moved around a few times. I only have the one amp unfortunately.
    I had a bunch in South Africa, but had to leave them all behind when I moved to London.

If I could make the noise here constantly I would take the same approach. I have quite a few mics.
    The slightest tweaks make a difference.
    I also didn't want to fix anything 'post' in the KPA. I wanted sound I like in, and just use that as is.
    Never fix something post! That's a rule that holds true for film/photography/sound... and now the KPA

Could spend all day making profiles. Hours and hours.

Thanks for being so anal about it. Having the massive range of sounds to sweep through makes me so happy.
    Your profiled tones will be making it on to my records :thumbup:

Just wanted to run through my thoughts on what I experienced...
    Before I do though. The profiles that I uploaded of my Jet City, the distortion ones are all different... for some reason the tagging didn't work on the site.
    They were supposed to be called 1,2 and 3.

Anyway.

Profiling is damn easy.

I think it does help to know how to mic an amp up though. Studio/recording experience will ABSOLUTELY make you a better profile.
    I knew where this amps sweet spot is and how to use the mic I chose. I think I got some usable profiles.
    I do wonder/notice a few things after doing this...

1. How much do the pickups in your guitar affect the profiled sound. I found my humbuckers gave me much better profiles. They are Seymour Duncans. My single coils were hard to get a good sound from, but they are the stock ones on my Japanese Strat.

2. Input volume seems to play a large role in what sound you get from the profile. I think upping the volume coloured the distortion profiles i made. Not in a bad way, but it made some difference.

3. The clean/distorted profiling choices make quite different weird sounds in the third part of the profiling. Setting it to clean I found the third set of sounds MUCH louder and more bass heavy. Shook the house.

4. How much does the refining part of the profiling affect the sound? I tried chords, flurries of singles notes in one place. Scales. Notes all over the neck etc, even made one where I only played notes behind the bridge of my Jaguar.

5. I'm on FW Beta 1.0.6 and my profiling often didn't start when I flicked the knob to profiler. I had to switch it back and forth to get it to work. Not a big deal. Once or twice the profiling told me there wasn't enough volume. Rebooting solved that.

Overall I am extremely happy. I was happy just messing with the Kemper, but after making profiles... wow.

It isn't 100% the same, that's for sure. But it is more than close enough to make me happy. I bought the Kemper as a studio tool to get thousands of usable tones that I can record songs with.
    It does that. It does more than I need it to.
    Profiling is an art in and of itself I think.

As we go along and get more experienced in making good profiles it would be nice seeing tutorials or explanation videos popping up.
    There are some really horrible tones uploaded and even built in to the Kemper, but there are also some superb ones (Everyone has their own tastes I know).
    The ones that come to mind as excellent for me are Fecks, Toneclone, lots of the built in kemper ones and the ones by Stranded on a planet that went up recently. (Just the first ones that came to mind) (Especially Fecks)

I would like to know how they were all done...
    I'm sure we could all learn from eachothers methods.
    The possibilities seem endless. I'm pleased I have this lovely bit of kit (Pleased to say the least).

Rambling monolouge complete ... :P

I updated to 1.0.6 and played for a couple of hours last night, switching settings around and using the KPA as normal.
    No problems on mine so far.

Got it a week or so ago.
    I took it out the box, loaded 1.0.5 straight away, had the clicks and pops issue.
    Now gone straight to 1.0.6 with no issues.

I'm really happy with mine so far, as long as it doesn't crash on me.
    Now that there are no pops/clicks I can start using it to track something useful in studio.