Posts by mikeb

I never looked at that setting, wonder why its on mono. I will change it and check things. Also I never had analog TRS plugged in at the same time as SPDIF so there wouldn't be any issues with that.

[edit] actually that doesnt have a stereo setting..

Also, your master stereo and your SPDIF are setup differntly from each other. One is master mono, the other is master stereo. Make sure that is rectified, you can't really compare the two results otherwise.

For me the spdif sounds better. It sounds very identical to my frfr monitoring solution. As Michael_dk adjustments in the output sections must be made experienced the same problems on initial setup.

Yeah I understand technically the SPDIF *should* sound better with less noise.. but it sounds thin and weak and compressed somehow. Since I know a little about recording my first instinct is to try and adjust the output gain control. In this case the Kemper is set to 0DB so that is max SPDIF out. It has got to be my interface but damn if I can figure out what is wrong. SPDIF has no settings like +4db or -10db.. so its like what could possibly be wrong?!?!

here is what I am dealing with:

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29745912/emu1212m.jpg]

After recording the wav'd recording sounds perfect and not tinny at all. The SPDIF seems to be working great but monitoring it is not sounding well.

Page 1 Master:
    Main output - Master Stereo
    Master Output - Master Mono
    Direct Output - GIT+Processing
    SPDIF - Master Stereo

I have had my Kemper now for over 2 years and love it. One constant struggle I have with mine is the tone of SPDIF vs Analog outs. My main issue is that the Analog TRS output sounds FAR more full and beefy than the SPDIF which sounds rather tinny and congested with less fullness. I have tried many 'tweaks' to the output but nothing has made the SPDIF sound the same as Analog TRS out on my rig. I do use a EMU 1212M sound card which has both SPDIF and Analog inputs. I have made absolutely sure that the correct master clock (kemper) is selected as well as the correct sample rate. The EMU1212M does in fact lock correctly any time I connect it so I don't think there is an issue with that part.

So i was going to post an example set of wav files but after recording via the SPDIF and playing back via the normal TRS outputs on the EMU interface.. the tinnyness and congestion is gone and it sounds like the analog outputs... WTF?! :cursing:

I feel like my Sound card interface is to blame for the SPDIF monitoring sounding like poop but I just don't understand why. At this point I have messed around with this so much that I have given up and use the Kemper analog outs to record and jam with and it sounds great. I suppose its time to throw the EMU1212M out the window and purchase something else. I don't want to get rid of the card however.. it sounds nice and is PCI and stable which these days is near impossible to accomplish without breaking the bank.

Any recommendations or ideas would be appreicated! I am really unhappy with SPDIF sounds on my rig.

I have no aliasing problems with my Kemper. What you seem to describe is how real tube amps oscillate and do crazy stuff when at high volume and high gain. Maybe people are not used to hearing this in the context of low overall volume and can sound like aliasing.

I have hooked my Kemper up a variety of ways, most recently via SPDIF into an interface. When I use the SPDIF vs XLR outs I notice one huge problem with some profiles and that is they are WAY WAY too loud and clip my interface. Its pretty obvious that the soft clipping for the XLR out is masking clipping and people are not realizing they are doing this (as far as I can tell).

Its a thing that is a problem! About half the profiles I try clip my interface without touching a single control.

Anyone have any ideas how to go about solving this issue?

I've been having a similar problem off and on since I got my Kemper almost 3 years ago. What I JUST figured out is the issue is -10db vs 4db TRS/XLR. I feed my Kemper via SPDIF into an Interface (with zero latency monitoring) and then directly into a Behringer AUTOCOM PRO which goes into some KRK RP8 monitor speakers + sub. I have the Behringer set to +4db and presto, no more clipping on any presets. By clipping I mean audible clipping.

I don't know how SPDIF interfaces with +4db pro level but I do know whatever interface boxes / processors must support that as an output level.. and so do your monitor speakers.

Suddenly my tones sound better and no clipping no matter hard I try.

Maybe this will help you narrow down your issue. ^^

If the Kemper had DRM I would have never bought it. Frankly this whole charging for profiles is bullshit and I wish it would stop. A profile is a set of parameters, nothing else. I didn't buy the Kemper with the idea of spending even more money on profiles.

Being 100% honest, I own a computer business btw, the Interface drivers are faulty, the SPDIF works with the interface drivers, and they are blue screening the computer. You will have to work this out with your interface support team.

You could also post the blue screen code (0x0000..) and we may be able to help with that.

Forgot to mention, but it seems like this kind of feature could help people dial in their tone in a studio or home and then have it translate better to a live gig.

Also if CK likes the idea, an extension of this could be to allow have the Fletcher-Munson curve apply to the master volume knob automatically.. but this probably would be too much work. Still, an interesting idea.

I love my Kemper but one thing that is a little hard to deal with is the fact that the human ear hears things differently depending on volume level. The ultimate feature (IMO) to fix this would be a user-toggleable EQ using the Fletcher-Munson curve. You could have a few settings for different volume levels, for example, one for bedroom playing, one for giging, and one for playing stadiums (SUPER LOUD).

I think that this feature could help many men to use their kemper to the fullest extent!
    [Blocked Image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/49/Lindos4.svg/400px-Lindos4.svg.png]

Any opinions? :thumbup:

So I took my Kemper over to a friends house to jam out. My buddy had a Fender Deville which he uses with a pedal board.. but of course we hooked it up to the Kemper. After some time we settled on a TAF Plexi Cranked profile (wonderful btw). Still, it was too 'sloppy'.. so we changed the cabinet to a Fender Champ (8") speaker.

HOLY (*#$&(# it was the best plexi tone I have ever heard in person. Incredible dynamics and punch. Just floored both me and by buddy.
    :love: :love:

So if you get the chance, hook the Kemper to the Deville through the power amp plug.. it is stunningly wonderful!

The thing missing from most FRFR setups is simply a good subwoofer. You need the sub to give you the low feeling wallop you get from a 4x12.. the resonating palm mutes.. things like that. I use some cheap KRK 8" monitors with a Blue Sky 12" 300w sub. Sounds freakin glorious.