Posts by 1fastdog

You are exactly right in pointing out the B/C comparison is what he's doing and the "A" part of the equation is not involved whatsoever... That's baffling to me as the "real" amp is never heard but he concludes that a real amp of a used Fractal product is the two best choices?

His overall suggestion at the end is certainly his to believe, but it's leaving out some very important considerations for many players.
    Some being: Versatility, logistical advantages to using a virtual rig, etc.. Suggesting a "real amp" might well be something one can consider, but much of the advantages to the virtual rig go right out the window... I believe his selected amp was an Orange Rockerverb.... if it's the 2 channel 50 watter, the price for that head is generally $2149.00 and you still need some sort of cab or sim to play it through... then a mic if you want to control what you reproduce... That's all a good deal more than a KPA. Want to add just one amp to your arsenal? Let's say a Morgan 20 combo??? $2099.00 and you still have just 2 amps, now need an amp switching solution... and you are still way less versatile than a single KPA loaded with the profiles that meet your needs..... ?(

KPA profiling gets the amp tone and feel right, and to my ears and hands, better than anything else, including the AXE2. :thumbup:

I think you mean KT66 tubes, right? ;)

Really makes ya wonder I mean the wait list was 4 months when I got on the list. Makes sense why cliff is on a Kemper poo poo party as of late

I wouldn't have made the connection regarding a sales slowdown. I don't know Cliff, but his comments of late are much akin to other people I have known who have a business and go a little tacky when a competitor comes along and people genuinely like what the competitor's product delivers. They generally turn into what I call "Elmer F.U.D.". Cliff comes off as a political attack squad... He's really not doing himself any favors...

The AXE2 is an interesting piece of gear. Many folks have played amps for a long time. For some of us, the Fractal stuff sounds nice but it lacks what the Kemper pulls off. You either hear it or feel it, but it's there with the Kemper and it's not there with the AXE...
    . It delivers what I looked for in real amps.

+1 My Trainwreck LOVES pre-Rola Celestions. But, to Andy's point about shrill, it also LOVES old Mullards. They're what Ken built the amps around, and they are a critical part of the tone..

Yes, I agree... the care and feeding of some vintage amps is quite expensive... A big reason I use the KPA. I also have a quartet of 1964 date code Mullard ECC83's which have less than 10 hours on them. I intend to install them on anything which needs them for a profiling session. Most preamps use them.

Everything revolves on personal preference. I personally loved a Trainwreck head I owned years ago through old pre Rola Celestions. I would move those speakers out of the original Marshall cab I bought in 1967 to some Hiwatt cabs I bought in early 1973. The best I can describe what I liked about those speakers was their violin/viola sort of woody sound.

I sold a good deal of my vintage stuff over the years. Once the fellow get backs from his travels, some profiling will be done using those speakers. They are smooth on the top end and mic fairly easily in my experience.

If is not over your budget, I would strongly advise to try an RCF NX 12sma. Had the QSC K10 before it, and the difference is BIG.....

Yes, I agree. The mentioned RCF is not inexpensive, but it is low priced for an entry level, touring quality monitor. It's small, light, loud, and very HONEST reproduction of what you feed it guitarwise.. I don't own one, but I am very familiar of what they sound like. The DSP processor in the upper levels of RCF stuff is quite good.

If you buy something more modestly priced? Make certain it has a return policy in the event it doesn't really do it for you. ;)

And I forgot to say that there might be some mojo in the power amp cause it was used by Lukather on tour ;)

Thanks for profiling this stuff Bruno! I'm aware of these pre's and definately know they really get it going on when the right mods are done. Gotta load these up. Yowsa.

I just did a single strum on an E chord for my sample clip. Each preamp. I'll post it this weekend. Did some recording with the profile that had the Focusrite, and I'm digging it.

How do you like the Slate VCC? I use his drums and they are awesome.

Pete

The Focusrite pre's are, IMO, untouchable for the money. The do a dimensional thing I particularly like.

The Slate stuff is top notch. Making a hybrid console from the selectible desks in VCC is supurb and very useful. Very good for getting sheen on some tracks or more dimensional fatness on others...

I too use the Slate drums. I run 3.5 for the drums themselves as I love NRG studio for room ambience and they are easier to dial up than in Slate 4.0. HOWEVER, has much improved cymbal samples and building kit facility. Both together are a treat. I was told by Slate folks that expansion packs will be coming for SSD 4.0 EX owners. :thumbup:

Mitch. I spoke with Tommy last might and he'd be happy to bring some vintage Marshall head and cabs to the profiling party. Please e-mail me at [email protected] so I can forward you his phone number in Nashville. I don't know if you went to the Nashville Amp show but Tommy is one of the organizers. 8)

There are some very nice people over there. Now all we have to do is turn them onto the Kemper and have them profile their amps. roadrunner and j45 come to my mind or Mike Slubowski ;)

I have mentioned it there once, some time ago... minor interest at best. It's a shame actually. They are missing the fine wine. Some there are too attached to the "cork" and not the "juice". 8|

I remember during the '60's and early '70's when I owned a lot of 'bursts and Goldtops, the cosmetic deals were quite secondary. It's still all about the tone for me. I love the KPA more and more everytime I play live or record.

I prefer the early G12M 75Hz, second would be a vintage G12M 55Hz... The present G21H is icepicks to me, but there are some that think it records well, even though it "icepicky" live. It probably would be good with a Royer or a Vintage 414...

I think I have seen that very picture over at the LPF. Is that possible? If I do recal correctly, I once read a thread where he talked a bit about his Marshall collection and also his cabs. It sounded like Marshall heaven. Would be really great to have profiles of those heads and cabs.

I wouldn't doubt it. He was ans likely still is a member there.