Posts by 1fastdog

A well captured profile is going to be in the ear of the beholder. The rig exchange is my first place to look for something I might find as a useful download. "Pro" is a misnomer, to a great degree.

I don't think the exchange is in any real danger, as it were. The mistake, if one could call it that, is a lack of something very key to making it more useful. To be specific, there's not many folk who will post an audio example in this section in reference to the upload shared. If folks that have a DAW or another capture method to use, it would make it far easier to decide to download or not.

The rating system might well be of use to some. For me it is of no assistance. We all have different tastes. A great drop C profile for death metal use isn't my sort of zone... Since I don't know who gave something a "Star", it's not going to make me download or not. It may well discourage folks from uploading things, and that would be a shame. Yes, some folks can be that sensitive.

Like I said, those who can record a sample of their upload which is stored on Soundcloud or any number of locations would truly be useful and keep the ball rolling. It's sounds we are chasing and what better than a quick audio file to assist fellow tone chasers in expanding their personal tone library?

It might be of some use to distinguish an upload as a "profile" or a "rig". Both are dandy. I'm more inclined to prefer doing my own FX, but advising what's a basic profile from a tweaked personal treatment would be nice.

Anyway... just trying to put in a couple of my own "cents".

Thanks for this little mini-review. It more or less confirms what I've gathered doing research. The Axe FX has always sounded very good to me (I'm listening to Adrain Belew use it right now on the Sweetwater sound Youtube channel) but it sounds "amp modeler." Even the face to face time I had with one was partially spent with the owner describing how he wasn't happy with the cabinet models and instead used impulses. It wasn't until my first time hearing a demo of the Kemper that I shed my skepticism. Don't get me wrong, I wholeheartedly embrace guitar amp modeling but it has it's weaknesses as well as it's strengths. Anyway, the Kemper was the first thing I heard that made me think, "now that f'er sounds like an amp!" I can't wait to get my grubby little paws on it!

That was my reaction to the KPA as well. Loving mine. Still not blown away by modelers. Not that they don't work for lots of folks. They just lack something that the KPA captures. :) .

Audioholic - We are leaving out an important piece of information. I stated that I would likely sell my KPA *IF* the new update did not make substantial improvements in the areas mentioned. Christoph, by making his ‘rather irrepressible offer’ to take back my KPA immediately, effectively circumvented the process. He has never contacted me personally, nor personally answered any of my emails to him over these months of my KPA ownership - therefore whatever I had to say could only be said on the user board. This is not usually the case with artists like myself, and it was less than ideal.

It's unfortunate that the Kemper wasn't something you'd feel touring with at this point. I can understand that's frustrating if you really like what it does. I think it's even more iffy to tour gear when you are a sideman and any issues will likely get an "evil eye" from the boss... Makes perfect sense to me.

As far as communication not being what an artist like yourself accustomed to? I know that gear companies do find benefit in working with working players. In the instances when some company thought I might be of assistance, or gave me special attention just because they liked my playing and my reviews, poistive or negative, were between myself and the folks helping me out. I would be comfy saying I liked something if someone asked and any complaints or suggestions were between me and the manufacturer. We all have our notions of what constitutes professional courtesy.

I am certain that folks can take my comments or suggestions in a manner other than they are offered. I happens a bit on TGP. I think we all want to be acctepted as we are and not as someone supposes we are. It's easy enough for me to afford you the same ethos I would hope be applied to me.

I really like what the KPA does for me. I'm a "cork sniffer" when it comes to what makes me happy with musical tools. By the same token, I couldn't care less what others use. Great music is great whether or not it's made using the same stuff I like.

I appreciate people's candor. Telling it like you see it is more than cool, when people return the favor that's just a part of the deal. Honesty is often easier to give than to accept. All this stuff is tools. Tools we are thrilled with or, not so much.

It ain't religion. Just preferance. What one uses to make music doesn't validate the persons using it. At a point the music and performance does the talking. I believe that's what matters most. Musicians sweat the "reciepe", and any "seasoning" added. The audience just cares about the "soup".

Best wishes Radley.

I used to be like that when I used real amps. I'd set each channel up as a "preset" and just switch between them in conjunction with some sort of effects patch change to sculpt the sound.

Then, when I started using modelers I found that you can often get some really amazingly varied tones by messing with the eq sections. Is this true to life? Not sure, but useful. One some amps more than others, but still useful. I imagine when profiles are made, several tone setup variations are made per amp? I hope so! So much variation between guitars and what not... it would make sense. In other words, if I found an amp I dug and profiled it, who's to say you'd use the same settings? Same mic? Even the same mic placement.

Of course I may find this is all silliness and be fine. I just thought I'd throw it out there as I've read reviews that said they missed this feature that modelers have and the Kemper does not. Knowing how much I lean on it I was wondering if people did things to fill this gap.

I don't disagree whatsoever. The point I was trying to make is variation in eq doesn't require the same frequency centers as the actual amp. There are 5 types of EQ in the KPA... Granted, maybe folks aren't happy with them... maybe they don't realize they are there... :thumbup: One can save a number of eq'ed versions of an amp if they wish. Most modelers I have played through never, at any eq setting, sound like the actual amp wherever the "just like the real amps eq knobs"
    are placed... To me that's missing the purpose of what I need to begin with. Maybe Kemper should have someone do a video on how to use all of the stomps, not just say that they are there...

The Kemper isn't a modeler. That's fine with me.

I would think adding fx would be preferrable to giving up what the KPA has, which is the ability to deliver the best rendition of great amps.

As for an eq section that models how each actual amps tone stack works? I don't see the advantage. That might be because the eq section of most tube amps aren't all that good. To my ears, the eq sections in the Kemper are far more usable for dialing in or out something which is missing.

Then again, I was never the sort to adjust tone knobs on any amp I really like to use, once I had the tone I wanted. Once it was in the zone for me? I'd never touch it again unless the acoustics of the room or venue were really odd. YMMV.

I think he meant that there's no real LP from 66... only double cut one called LP/ SG..

Yes. I do recall the LP "Les Paul" truss rod covers were dropped from the '61-'63 double cutaway hmubucking pickuped LP and it became the "SG" in 1963. Thus I was a bit confused... I was fortunate to own a number of Les Pauls. A couple of '54's, one '56, two '57's, one '58, two '59's.... Great sounding guitars, good ergonomics for the pickup selector and control knobs. Less than ideal as a single cutaway for really high fretwork. I have one Les Paul at this point. Good guitars for lot's of stuff. I usually use a Jackson Soloist as I switched to those in 1984. It's a single humbucking and 2 single coils, It covers a lot of tone territory.

and44, your collection sounds like it's really nice. Maybe a pic section will come around down the road.:) 8):thumbup:

Actually Im going to turn this inside out, back to front, side to side, err whatever.. but..
    Im a Tele/Strat player.. always have always will!..........BUT!
    I plugged my 66 LesPaul in today for the first time, and everything sounded meaty warm and bloody nice!...

I think he should of said.. "just plug in a guitar"

:)

66 Les Paul... as in 1966? That would be quite rare... :whistling::?:

I believe those of us who own a KPA look forward to all debugging to be done and final FW be released.

As for me, I trust I can count on that happening. I think I affirmed that when I put up my money to purchase the KPA. The tone, IMO, has been delivered. If it's possible to make it better? Do so. I have done numerous gigs without a glitch. I believe that going from "no reputation" to genuine speaks volumes about where the virtual amp market actually has genuine traction.,

Anyone that lays their money down has a right to their expectations.

Having some understanding about manufacturing realities? The stupidest move Kemper < the folks vested and invested > could enter into would be farming out a damn thing about the KPA.
    Any company which leases/licensces or turns over any intellectual properties prior to patent award is fucking crazy.... Just as true, any company that wants the "Kemper deal" without boiler plate exclusivity, invites investors certain to litigate due deligence actions as long a either side has money to litigate.

Radley suggest that there is a rapid response ready company standing in the wings to "do it right". I suggest that if that was the case, it would have already happened. There's no editorial intended by me. I do wonder why one product's developer dismissed a possibility, then adopts a workaround to "match" the value???

I see that the 800 pound Gorilla in the room is that Kemper is onto something some folks truly should have considered looking for. Maybe Radley can suggest these software debugging teams exist and will clarify a method not previously on their "radar". I do believe it's a bit pugnacious to advise a company that does something well and heretofor unaccomplished by another company has a need to hand the polishing to people that didn't GET IT in the first place.

I'll stick with CK... full speed ahead.

I there sufficient space that would allow a "clickable" link to a soundcloud or other previewable audio file?. THAT WOULD BE PREFERRABLE TO A REVEIW RATING.