Posts by 1fastdog

Could a program be made to check for "corruption" in files or could the KPA run a corruption check on importing the profiles? Can't there be like a CRC checking ability?

It seems such a thing, or some other preventative or diagnostic routine would be a wise troubleshoot when issues arise. Maybe something which would warn that whatever file is corrupt or incomplete.

Great news! Let's hope it's resolved from here on out. Get back to making music with it. :thumbup:

Ok, I found the bug. As usual in these cases, "stupid bug" :rolleyes:
    Consider it being fixed for the next release. Actually, the bug triggered a couple of other things that might been strange, like deleting a rig, but still appearing in the list (in case it was assigned twice).
    To answer the question regarding multiple assignments: You could select slot #1, press assign, select slot #3 press assign again and the rig is assigned to program change 1 and 3. erasing the rig will leave 1 and 3 unassigned, changing a rig will "update" 1 and 3 (since it is just a link to the current rig). On the Browse page the MIDI number only shows the first assignment in this case ("1").
    Timo

Timo, thanks for looking into this a I have run across it as well. Is there a way to prevent any user uploaded rig to the exchange from overwriting midi assignments if they were assigned by the uploader, or is it not a possible issue?

Roland - It's kinda like when the psychiatrist tells the suicidal patient 'why kill yourself today - you can always do it later' to help him to hang on another day. There is nothing awful that can happen if you keep your KPA a bit longer. Although I have not had as serious problems as you, I've had enough to know I can't use it live in concert or for any high profile sessions (patch changes on the fly from a foot controller, etc), and that is something I hoped I would not be saying at this point...

To you, Roland, and others.

I spotted this thread... sounds as though it's replicated and under corrective measures....http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…ad&threadID=4682&pageNo=1

Roland - It's kinda like when the psychiatrist tells the suicidal patient 'why kill yourself today - you can always do it later' to help him to hang on another day. There is nothing awful that can happen if you keep your KPA a bit longer. Although I have not had as serious problems as you, I've had enough to know I can't use it live in concert or for any high profile sessions (patch changes on the fly from a foot controller, etc), and that is something I hoped I would not be saying at this point...

I have noted some issues with midi program assignments being saved... and it's something which I thought might have been a result of my not following the protocol to the letter. THAT needs to be addressed if it's a save problem with the software... particularly prior to marketing a foot controller, IMO. That sorta thing needs to be bulletproof, or some feedback from Kemper regarding how to be certain the assignment is solidly held. I'm with you on that.

It's a bit irritating that some rigs seem to be put on the exchange WITH midi assignments... It's not a major sin, but it's a possible stumbling block. It would be reassuring to know that anything being loaded as a new rig would generate an argument which made certain there wasn't an overwrite possibly taking place. OR, midi assignments were not copied or substituted on download with the exception of restoring a backup.. ;)

I don't know the most eloquent way to put it, but if I step on an assigned button, I absolutely must get the setting I assigned to that program change to come up when I request it.. It's a reasonable expectation of the functionality of the KPA. Ther are, I believe situations where midi program changes can be lost...? Make certain that that's the only situation where that's possible. They shouldn't go away on a shut down restart routine. I'd like to believe that's been considered.

Well thanks for all your comments so far. I have done the init and memory flash reboot procedure several times. I've bought the KPA early januari and I know and accept to some level that it's a new radical product. But after 4 months I expect that the reboot bugs are gone. I don't talk about the extras like more effects etc. How is it possible people telling me I have downloaded corrupt profiles? Can they tell me how I can see they are corrupt? I only download them from rig exchange. But this way it's not save for me to use it live. I still think it's a remarkable product and the profiles sound very very good! And perhaps I'll keep it for studio work.

Roland, first off, I empathize with your frustrations. I'd be upset.

As far as a corrupt file? I don't know if that's the situation or not. It's a question and not an answer. Kemper would be in the best position to answer that. I have only read about one situation where such a thing occurred to one owner. Clearly, we all don't use every rig or cab file from the exchange. It's likely not the issue, but it's a remote possibility, perhaps.

I had a situation where a very popular rig didn't download or usb load correctly to my KPA. I didn't have lockup issues, but I did have a failure to get any audio from the file. A reload solved that problem. Can the download from the net or from USB to the KPA itself have an issue? Maybe.

What I want you to be assured of is that I don't suspect you are or have done anything wrong. That would be for Kemper to work out with you. Point being, I don't think intentional user error is a part of any problem you are experiencing.

Mine works when I turn it on. You deserve the same.

You should try to walk in the same shoes the OP is wearing at moment.
    Not everybody here has the luck of having his/her Mummy buying the KPA for his/her birthday. For some people it's an investment . It's a tool. And it's natural to compare how it performs in terms of reliability with other (even crap-sounding) devices.
    I'm realising that 90% of the posts are against Radley !Actually I think what he's trying to say it's absolutely resonable. Not sure whay people get so weird about it. I really hope that Chris will keep an eye on those type of unpleasant threads and will improve the QC of both hardware and software of its products.

It's the internet, so someone's intent isn't always that easy to discern correctly.

I'm 60 years old, so the only party that buys anything for business or pleasure in my world is ME. The KPA is an investment and as music is my business, it's on my tax schedule and being amortized. I expect my business investments to function, to assist in turning a profit.

If Roland is unhappy, as he clearly has a right to be, he should do what's in his best interest. I truly have no idea if he's contacted support and given them an opportunity to make it right. Is that an avenue that involves inconvenience? Yep... wouldn't thrill me, but I'd do it. If his unit is under a return policy and he's not out a bunch of money? Send it back. It isn't convenient, but it is reasonable to persue your rights under the terms of the warranty and avail yourself of putting the manufacturer to have a part in getting you where your rights under the warranty promises you? YES... it's a contract. No company wants you to need to have a problem corrected. I have not searched for every thread regarding his issues. If he has gotten with Kemper and they have not done what they can to resolve his issue isn't something I have noted. If it's somewhere in this forum, then I would not suggest what I have suggested.

Many here are not experiencing regular and repeated lock ups... it doesn't strike me that his should be either. In U.S. warranty terms, his situation would seem to be a "non-conformity". I can't tell if it's hardware or software related... has Kemper support given an opinion? After any outrage with a situation, seeking resolution can be involved. Is it "fair" or "just" or "should it never happen"... ? I would hope it isn't something anyone would need to deal with... however, being the nature of thing on this planet, such a situation can show up from time to time. If my KPA functions everytime I use it, I expect it's a possible thing to occur for other Kemper owners. Roland's should work as well as mine does. It isn't because I have lived a kind and generous life, part my hair just right, nor any such thing. If many KPA's are operating as designed, so should his.

Do I expect reliable value regardless of price?... you had better believe it. Roland wants something that works... I agree with him. I'm trying to inquire if he's given Kemper a shot at making that happen. There's a time for torches and pitchforks, and there's a time for resolution measures. Indignance won't correct his concerns. I want to see him and every other owner satisfied and making music with their purchase. I'm unsure of just exactly how I'm not "getting it" with his situation.

If he is not satisfied and has not faith in the product, it's his stance to take. If it's not returnable then he eats it of sell it at hopefully no loss... but it still makes some sense to get it to a functioning state to hope for any chance of selling it...

And I suspect this is too little too late for Roland - can you blame him? If I was having the same problems, I would bail as well. There seems to be a basic redo of the software needed to achieve basic stability and noise standards as compared to most other $500 units available today.

I don't think "blame" is involved. I have minimal patience for something which doesn't perform as expected. We all have our "screw this" level and when it's reached, it's reached. If everyone's units were cratering, including mine, I be p.o.'ed and expect some action, and quite insistant for the manufacturer to get with the resolution.

I'd at least run it past the support folks to help resolve, PARTICULARLY if other folk's unit's are functioning on a far more regular basis than mine is. That's just me though. Frustrations with products are a real issue, and I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

As far as why Kemper released the KPA with beta software? I suspect that was with good reason, whether I am privy or not. I'm recording and gigging with mine, so the regular updates to the software are encouraging, it sound good, and I have confidence the stability for every possible situation will come.

Regarding why other lower priced units seem to be more universally stable? I really don't care, I don't like they way they sound. I don't spend much time with rhetorical questions when they are "academic" at best. Other units don't suit me, so, in my instance, other units have a deal breaker flaw they have yet to correct...

Roland will do what he feels is the best thing for Roland. I just wish his KPA was making him happy to have bought it. :(

I suspect there's an issue held in memory or a corrupted profile rig. You might seriously consider getting with Kemper support and let them work with you to assure some corrupt file isn't the culprit.

I'd pay for the right profile and wouldn't for one which doesn't interest me. So much of the true appropriate use of a profile depends on the context of the overall production and arrangement in which it will be be placed. Sometime the not so stellar on it's own tone is right for the total production.

I can't truly share any wisdom on the business viability of a prospectus such as you suggest. That's where the gamble comes into focus, including the same iffy situation a record deal includes. The viability of a business plan depends on the final product and less so the circumstances the hit or flop recording was done under.

Better to bite the bullet and do a bang up job on a single amp... establish the clear superiority of your premise and execution ability. A smoking "demo" for lack of a better description. Then the resonse will let you know if there's some traction in your idea.

All of you guys make very valid points and the input is always noted and appreciated. My situation has changed since that live video of Koinonia at Montreux (at least 25 years ago - yikes!), as well as the complexities of recording. I now tour with a large band for a famous artist and the demands tonewise are much more specific, and my (admittedly selfish) desire is to have it all in one reliable package - I must have a backup for every piece of kit I use onstage, so I try to keep it to a minimum (Foot controllers, Electric processors, Acoustic processors, Volume pedals, etc - the more you use, the more can go wrong). I realize I'm probably in the minority here, because most people attracted to the KPA are focused on the Amp & Cab results, which are obviously excellent. (btw: I have made some progress in getting the more natural, cushy attack that I prefer) ;) Regardless, Mr. Kemper has started his own revolution with the KPA, and I hope he will be repaid with much success. Christoph for President? 8o

I have no issue with what you want... it's a natural. The fact you have respect for the KPA and want to see it do more of what you want is absolutely a positive thing for my way of seeing things. There's nothing I have heard anyone want as a feature being "pissing and moaning". I would suppose CK reviews evey customer statement as worthy of review. < He certainly hasn't appeared shy in his willingness to respond as candidly as is good prudent business would dictate >.

I would like to see downloadable FX which could replace the built in FX to be more selectable to MY taste and needs. Perhaps it's possible. There's fx in there such as autowah and famous but less than my sort of distortion/od stomps that I juat have zero interest in. It doesn't disappoint me they are there, but they wouldn't have been my choices.

Rarely record efx while laying Diwn part unless it's essential pedals to the sound. If u do record parts with efx like delay and verb. You can't go and adjust levels or efx and u are stuck with them. Not very ideal mostly. Like most of the efx I have inside pt anyway and I can adjust just the right amount come mix time.

I would take a long time engineers advice about efx levels over a guitarists idea of efx levels pretty much mostly But thats just my experience

It's a disagreement and a good area of discussion. First off, I'm happy for the Axe 2 owners if they are happy with the latest update. It doesn't shake my confidence in what I prefer to be excited for someone else's joy.

Having split my time as a front of house sound engineer/studio producer and guitar player/songwriter, my opinion fall more toward audioholic's when it comes to all in one solutions for basic tone and fx processing. The overdrive /distortions in the KPA don't do it for me, however, their "real life" counterparts never did it for me. The autowah stuff doesn't wind my watch and neither do such doodads as actual pedals. I havn't owned or use a wah pedal since 1970... their cool, but not destined to be what I want... if that changed? I'd buy a good one and put it in front of the KPA... It doesn't bother me that it's in the box, but I wouldn't miss it either. What the KPA has that's pretty good for live is some of the 'verbs, the eq's, some of what the compressor does, but the comp is not as versatile as a multiband compressor by any means. What drew me to the KPA was the fidelity of the guitar amp profiling. Without that, it's a moot point for me. No amp tones that satisfy me? No sale. That's what kept me away from modeler's and software solutions until now. A product's viability about what will make someone part with their hard earned money does matter in business. In guitar gear, many are persuaded to buy based on how much a doodad will do for them. Having been around guitar and fx, being involved in the cutting edge of live production as well as studio? One size fits all stuff is not there... at least not there when it comes to every feature being "perfect".

DSP has a sidecar of latency penalties that comes along for the ride. More latency IS a big negative for a guitar amp's enjoyment and usability factor. Being able to construct a setting with all the fx and goodies is a nice paradygm. For me, the decisions made can be terrific as a standalone sound, BUT, chances of that contruction fitting perfectly in a full mix is not impossible, but damned rare. Even seemingly wise choices can prove not so wise in the results. In the context of the whole.

The KPA got me to open my wallet based on the AMP sound capability because that is my deciding factor. Other's have their must have list, and I have mine. I get the opposing viewpoint. The validity is personal. Always has been, always will be.

Despite the fact, that we are working on new solutions for the direct-to-cabinet, everybody should be aware that what you hear through the regular stage monitors is equivalent to the sound that is presented to the public. If you mind your audience you should work on that sound. If your sound is shit on the stage monitors, while the singer, bass and keyboards sound good, there is definetely something wrong.

A cab sound on stage might sound better and more familiar to you, but has nothing to do with what you present to the public. This is why more and more pro's go for regular stage or in-ear monitoring, not just to listen to themselves, but to control the real sound. How can you control your playing and dynamics, when you hear a different sound than what is finally in the mix?

I would add one small clarification regarding monitors being reliable as "What's being presented to to the public"... if the front of house is "flat" and the stage monitors are relatively "flat" the situations is, as you suggest, quite a good way to go.

The caveat is a knowlege that a junk monitor cab which is mauled by over eq to maximize vocal volume and not fidelity? Not the same.

However, it is a paradygm to shoot for. On that I agree with CK completely.

I have been lucky' to a large degree. I have played the big stages and recorded in very good studios as a player with their career on the line. I have also been a Front of House engineer for many "household" names. Mic'ed is what really matters and listening to myself in the context of the final mix is where I want to be. I never recorded one lick of solo work without sitting in the control room listening exclusively to the final mix speakers. If you do that enough you realize that's where you want to sit unless you like being disappointed with the final mix. IOW, what you experience in you face matters a great deal more than what is happening behind you.

The KPA can certainly be refined. However, what it does very well should not be tossed overboard to satisfy a user base at the expense of what it has going for it already. That is to say, in changing how the cab is separated out of a rig, please don't let how the KPA sounds now be compromised. I'm extremely picky about my sound. I can assure folks the KPA directly into a good PA and monitors system is truly good, in fact, superb.

Keep the KPA honest in it's ability to be a tool for direct input. I'll dial it in from there or choose another appropriate profile to use. ;) Making it more versatile is great, but let's not lose what it alredy does so well.

In my experience, a stage monitor with a 10 inch woofer or less will disappoint in a room of any size which will accomodate an audience. A 10 inch or less woofer is more suited to nearfield use, IOW in your line of sight and no more than three feet away at the most. They just don't throw a coherant fidelity at distance further than that... not full range fidelity. A good quality 12 with a coaxial compression driver is much better suited.

BTW, thanks very much for a truly usable tool.

I'm happy for the Axe gang to see an update. I'm a fan of the Kemper. Consider it money well spent. Look forward to further FW improvements. The reason is that I own the thing and it's been all positive so far.

I can't begrudge someone of their excitement.
    8)

thanx alot...the leadchannel would be much appreciated as well :thumbup:

Gladly do one up for you when the opportunity arises, make certain the Normal is in the ballpark. If there's something specific you would like gain or eq wise, I will certainly do what I can.

I have to play an outdoor concert Saturday, so I'm lining up different profiles to handle that... the Reinhardt profile was a part of that. Monday I'm slated to profiles some very exciting stuff. If you still want the Bright/hotrodded channel done? I will oblige. I should bre able to concentrate on getting it correctly, with some luck. 8)

I'd likely profile it with a Port City 2X12 closed back I have that's loaded with Greenbacks. Greenbacks and 18 watters are better done with time to get the low end response tight.

Had a an hour to spare this afternoon so I profiled my Reinhardt 18 combo amp. It's a single 12 open back. I loaded this amp with mid 60's Mullard ECC83's, a NOS RFT rectifier, late 50's Amperex "Bugle Boy" EL84's. Speaker is a Celestion 12 GT12 M "Heritage" . Profiled with a single Heil PR30 mic. Guitar was a 1987 Jackson Soloist Custom, handwound Seymour Duncan Custom shop one off Humbucker picked for refining. This is a profile of the normal channel which is much like a vintage 1974X.
    I may profile the Lead channel, which is a hotrodded "plexi" sort of deal, if there's interest.

It was a quick deal and my first go at profiling. Hopefully it we be of use for someone. :)

PIX:::
    [Blocked Image: http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/1fastdog/Reinhardt18prof1.jpg]
    [Blocked Image: http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/1fastdog/Reinhardt18prof2.jpg]

Normal channel settings as profiled"
    [Blocked Image: http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/1fastdog/Reinhardt18prof3.jpg]