Posts by 1fastdog

I am in Tampa and have good monitors. I truly am satisfied with the KPA and was a very early adopter.

Unfortunately, I don't have much at all in the way of metal profiles and that seems to be of the greatest interest to you.

Best of luck in your decision making!

My impression is that the potentiometer controls on most traditional guitar amps are more attenuators in reality and don't actually have a "boost" function. Presence controls, in my understanding of most traditional and popular vintage amps function through adjusting negative feedback and dumping some frequencies to ground...

How the designer intended is likely what we all might understand as "flat".. For me, the notion of flat response and electric guitar amps just wasn't and likely isn't a design target for many makers or buyers.

I prefer if folks that do profiles set the amp where they feel it's at it's best clean, slight breakup, drive, overdrive. For amps that just don't do some gain levels well, there's no need to capture an amp setting that never works for that sort of amp. That's just my impression as I have had the good fortune to test some amps with the designer present. I most usually tell them to dial a tone they think represents the amp well. I don't recall it being noon across the panel....

I think the joy success of the KPA is that it's capable to capture an amp at it's settings and allow it to be used. By their very nature, guitar amps are famous for coloration. Guitar speakers also. They are ingredients to achieve a goal.

I have plugged into some of the finer recording consoles and "flat" from an electric solidbody guitar is of very limited use for me.

I've gotta go against the grain here- IMO the Friedman BE hasn't been captured to its fullest yet. Every profile Ive heard of the BE is very bright and thin. Im a huge fan of Andy's work but the TAF one is unuseable for me. Some of Pete's are OK but i found myself switching cabs, which helped but I hate doing that.

Haven't tried Andy's Dirty Shirley but there's some on rig exchange that are quite good.

Gotta try Armin's Pink Taco this week!

I have intent to give the Pink Taco a listen today as I purchased it yesterday.

I have played through Dave Freidman's amps and they are amazing. Perhaps, as with any amp, it can depend on how they are dialed, what speaker they are through, and mic choice and micing technique to have a profile sound to one's taste. I think my impression of some of the profiles done so far is somewhat as your own.

Dave's amps can do the early "Eddie Van Halen thing" quite easily and there can be a lot of toppy edge. Cameron amps are in the same range as well, but its how they are dialed, IMO, as I didn't find that character all that they do.

Most Freidman amps I have played through were coupled with a Freidman 4x12, 2x12, or 1x12 oversized cabinet loaded with H75Hz or H55hz Scumbacks or England built Celestion Heritage or Lynch 12's.

The Pink Taco I played through was the best sounding take on the Marshall 20 "baby plexi " I have ever used... that's a taste thing, but EL84 amps rarely have girth when hot rodded.
    My experience with the PT is that they easily can sound like this: start at 1:56. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEyjAafj7fQ

Special thanks to Armin for the great profile work, amp choice and above and beyond service in making certain I got what I ordered. One can't expect any better service. I pretty certain the glitch was on my end. Thanks again Armin!
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I had a chance to play through a Freidman Pink Taco a while back and thought it was what I'd really want out of a "perfect for me world" Marshall 20 watter to sound like. :love: It's a pack to seriously consider getting. :thumbup:

Edited as an update. Armin from Soundside.de has worked above and beyond to resolve my concerns and make certain I have the files I ordered!!! First rate product, over the top service!! - 1fastdog

Armin,

I ordered the Pink Taco profiles as well as the '57 Deluxe. Fender files were downloadable. The PT file is a license key and it advises the file needs to be downloaded.

Unfortunately, I can't locate the info on where and how to download the Pink Taco profiles. I am, no doubt, missing the obvious. I'd appreciate any assistance or locale for the files.
    < UPDATE - Login now show I have no valid orders ! > Thanks for any assistance you can provide. I also messaged the product info address as it was the only one I could locate easily.

Paul Byther

I hesitate to guess what may or may mot have been advice to give the gent regarding profiling his own amp to his satisfaction. While I agree that there are a number of folks that get results that work for themselves and others, I can't guess that micing the amp was necessarily the problem. There are other possibilities.

I have been a playing professional for a vey long time, I have also been an engineer for some studio work and a lot of work doing FOH duties for major acts. My experience has been that many musicians who do not record much often do not know what their amps truly sound like at the speaker, and subsequently, the microphone. If one plays off axis from their speaker/speakers, they usually [ but not always ] are dialing more mid/treble/presence than they would if they were hearing the results on the axis of the speaker/s. The speaker choice, in and of itself, can be producing just what someone love to hear if it's pointed at knee level and never directly monitored. Again, people can go for years not know what their amp speaker truly sound like. When they get into a studio or live where there is floor Some mic choices will only magnify the issue or mitigate the issue. IMO, the KPA is quite faithful to what you send to it. The settings of the amp matter, as does the speaker, as does the mic and how it is aimed...

Much is often made that the KPA [ and other devices that are not traditional amp/speaker setups ] don't sound like they "are in the room". There's a good reason for that... They aren't in the room the way a tradition rig is. The rise in the popularity of close micing for recording and live lead to the popularity and market for alternative ambience devices such as reverbs and delays... It's true that a great room still sounds great for some things, not so good for others, and alternative ambience can allow putting something in the room of your choice. Lots of things stopped sounding like they were in the room a long time ago unless you recorded in the right room or had the right reverb to enhance otherwise.

It's really unfortunate when someone spends money and is disappointed with what it bought. Some thing are like airplanes. A crash is often pilot error. Sometimes not.

It is good when someone tries to help someone else get the satisfaction they have from a piece of gear. ;) I know the KPA is the best investment I can make for something to plug a guitar I'm playing through.

Has anyone tried or use the M-Audio EX-P as a volume pedal with the KPA? Any thoughts on function and suitability?

Thanks in advance. 8)

Also considering Yamaha FC7..

how about getting the thread back on track? Anyone who's had a chance to play with these latest amps yet, lets hear some thoughts :D

I purchased the 3 Redplate amp profile singles. I haven't done as much testing as I would like as some mixing work is on the front burner.

That being said, I particularly like the Chuck D'Aloia Signature III [ CDS3 ] and the Aurora. My #1 guitar is an old Jackson Soloist that is 2 BK singles and 1 bridge humbucker Maricela did for me. That guitar is off having some cosmetic repairs and a refinish by a person who is good with Jacksons. The reason I mention this is no single coils were applied in this particular quick review.

The guitar I did have handy is a Les Paul with 2 humbuckers. The bridge is a Dragon bridge that Paul Smith was kind enough to give me when I got the Les Paul as a birthday gift from my wife in '91. Point being, the output is on the hotter side and not a good match, I tend to think, for a Tweedy amp which seems better tailored to a Tele or Strat, and maybe a low heat ranged PAF style pickup. I only mention this as pickups really matter with some boutique amps and some vintage amps that have a particular character and some guitars that are a little hot can push an amp built for a Tele/Strat/ Gretsch input and frequency range just get a bit overwhelmed when pushed too far and too fat...

The Aurora and CDS2 have no such preference to my ears and remained "tight" even when pounded on the front end. YMMV and don't take a short review as gospel. ;)

Thanks Andy for such warm review.

I also share your experience, I find this pack absolute killer, Its just a shame people have lost interest in TheAmpFactory these days sadly. guessing there is lots of other cool stuff about.

Thanks again for taking the time to write something though, appreciate it! :)

That seems amazingly unfortunate and short sighted on folk's part.

I'll grant that any of us buy what we think will work, but passing on things that are something you might not realize the possibilities does not square with me.

There are amps you have covered under the Amp Factory banner that are great takes on must have amps.

The Redplate amps are not on the tip of every player's tongue, but they definitely own the ground they can cover.

I have played through the 1 and 2 version of the Chuck D'Aloia Specials < CDS > and they have the goods to cover the Fender thing for folks that might use a great Fender in the studio as a rental, but not buy one as it's hard to get one that really does what made Fenders famous without lots of looking and big money for an amp that might not cover every base a player needs to cover, particularly if hot rodded Marshalls also have to be in the player's arsenal of tones on tap. They can do the "Dumble thing" and are the only 3 channel amp I have played that filled the bill for all 3 being on the money. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-lOnNeLXxU

This shows some very, to my ears, Dumble territory and the OD on the CDS does this zone with ease, IMO.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KwzwbbSvWA

A Redplate might not be an amp I would consider if I could only have one amp. As a profile to give a shot? I can't recommend them highly enough. The Tweedy Drive might be a matter of taste with a humbuckered guitar, however, single coils is a definite. The CDES and Aurora handle humbuckers without any "that's a bit too hot" results...

I think this pack is some of your best work.

I purchased the 3 Redplate amps and a quick impression is that they are definitely worth a close look.

I intend to really review them a thorough look through studio monitors and play them over different tracks for context.

At first quick try, the Aurora really has something very special and useful going on in the initial attack which is VERY nice. For an amp that can be modern in it's vibe, there's something there of vintage quality that is rare in my experience.

Amps like these can really make a track, and what makes them really good or just nice requires more context testing to do any review justice.

Definitely worthy of more time spent with them that the quick noodle I have had time for. Thanks to Andy for covering these.

Any info on what mode the amp were in for the profiles?

To expect them for free in my opinion would be an insult to Mr. Wagoner's time , talent, experience, expertise and the obvious quality that will be had at our finger tips once the rig pack is completed. Again, just my opinion but I'm sure there will be a good handful of folks who cheaply commoditize everything else in their lives that will do the same with this offering. : )) lol

With all due respect, the profiles being offered for no charge as a factory pack, or no charge on the rig exchange is my impression of what's to be the probability. Not because "people" expect things to be free. It's more a gut feeling because of the roll out method we've seen.

I get the impression it will be a factory rig pack because that's what KPA has done for it's owners in the past and no mention whatsoever has been posted in the "commercial" section. That's not to suggest Kemper can't or wouldn't offer profiles for money if they would like. I'd buy or not, just as I'd keep or not keep free profiles.

Also, Mr.Wagener could easily sell profiles if they are useful to KPA users. Justifying the investment to do so is something he'd probably consider...

I would find it odd if Kemper was touting a "profiles for pay" situation without making that clear fairly early in the conversation and news briefs they have been making. It certainly isn't an expectation that owner's deserve something for free. I am just saying it would be odd and an iffy proposition to advise there's going to be a charge at the end of the Kemper buildup of these profiles.

Maybe Mr. Wagener likes the KPA because he likes it. Perhaps there's some quid pro quo which has nothing to do with others footing the bill... It really doesn't matter.

The positives for me are based on curiosity for profiles from a well known producer who has experience in getting electric guitars to work in a mix. He has a no excuse talent and equipment at his disposal. THAT'S interesting to me. I wouldn't be any more or less interested if there was to be a commercial only release.

If anyone doesn't believe that it's also in Kemper's interest to have great profiles on owner's KPA's they need think again. This is a great way to leverage interest for potential owners.

Kemper must be pleased every time their profiler is used in a very visible situation or by those folks known to have a good ear for tone... If Kemper started offering professionally done profiles of amps of interest to me? Sure! I would buy the ones that knock me out. I'd pass on any that I can't use.

Wagener can certainly off the bonus for folks using his studio to also have their tones to take for touring...

Were I to make a wild guess, the profiles are done. There's not any post work required that I can think of other than loading them on a server. Still guessing, but including them with a new "Final" firmware update seems a likely situation. Maybe a release of a cross platform Rig Manager, or even a foot controller...

No matter the conjecturing. It'll be available when it's available and free or not free. I'm curious and people are talking about KPA. That's what Kemper is looking for and the biggest part of their "payoff".

You should be able to download it immediately from the page that comes up once the purchase clears but I remember that it was not immediately obvious what you needed to click on to make it happen. You can also go to the see your purchases and then click on the amp names (I am going on my failing memory here) to download them.

Thanks for the suggestion, but in going to the page which is under the heading of purchase history, it says something about "Payment Status Is Pending" for the 3 amps... There's nothing to click as there is with previous purchases... Hopefully it get resolved quickly.

Great news Andy.

I purchased all 3 of the Redplate packs. Is there a usual timeframe for purchase to clear and download possible? I already received confirmation of CC transaction through PayPal.

I appreciate your hard work. Looking forward to trying the profiles!

Thanks.. :thumbup:
    Paul