Posts by mtmartin71

For reference, I'm pretty much dialed in on MBritt profiles when I go FRFR and want a good live/band context sound. I like Sela and Tone Junkie for recording purposes. Both tend to fit better in that denser recorded mix context vs the MBritt stuff.

For Direct profiles, I'm connecting to a Port City Vertical 2x12 OS with 2 Greenbacks via a Power Station 2. I have and like a Reampzone JMP profile set and I also tried a Tone Junkie Orange OR50 that sounds pretty good as well. The ReampZone stuff seemed to have the definition turned very low or off and raising that to around 5 or so makes them come alive. That might have been his intent. Any other profiles or profilers you could recommend that really do something special direct profiles? Per my love of MBritt's profile dialing, I like present but controlled bass, good upper mids, and some rounding of the highs.

Just so I understand better in comparing the Kone/Kab with the Line 6 PowerCab...

Each of them are capable of serving as FRFRs to play studio profiles. And, each of them can be used as real cabinet powered by a power amp. And in that case, they can be told to be a particular speaker i.e. a V30 in one instant or a GB25 in another.

The Line 6 PowerCab looks to have self powered options right now whereas the Kemper solutions needs a power amp in front of the cab. Also, unless I'm looking at it wrong, the speaker modeling lives in the PowerCab so you could use it with a Kemper and power amp (or a tube amp?) and have it sound like any number of cabs. It seems like the Kab/Kone is dependent on interacting with the Kemper brain or can the cones be told what to be without having to connect to a Kemper?

If the Kone/Kab needs the Kemper connected, then it's less interesting to me. What would be the most flexible is a cab that could virtually change the speakers no matter what I connected to it. So the modeling would need to live in the cab I guess. I THINK that's how the PowerCab operates but I don't know.

I thought I recall at one point you could delete a peformance (not a slot...the whole performance) right in Rig Manager. Whenever I select a performance in Rig Manager and right hand click on it, "Delete" is grayed out no matter what I do. Every other option seems to be available. I'm running FW 7.1.8 and RM 3.082. This was happening before I upgraded to the Beta OS and RMs.

I've tried 3rd Party IRs a few times with the Kemper and I've come to the conclusion that a studio profile made from capturing the whole chain at one time is best. Frankly, that's the advantage of the Kemper and it's saved me a TON of time from the days when I had the Fractal Axe2 Ultra. I'd go out there and buy and try all these different IRs from Ownhammer, ML Labs, Fractal, etc. and then try to use the different IRs live and all it did was kill my time and add complexity that I had to solve post show. MBritt studio profiles are truly all I need to get a consistent live sound. Yes they make things sound same-ish because he mostly uses the same cab and speaker, but that's what you really want in a live situation. For recording, I guess it could be interesting to chase a sound for a song. That's about it though.

My favorite is still his 72 Marshall JMP 50. Basically, if I ever get a full size Marshall head, it will probably be an early 70s JMP 50. His old profiles lean darker than the newer ones and I tend to prefer that when I'm playing live at volume. At home, they may sound a bit dark and anemic but the flip side is I've had some great at home profiles that were just too much top end live. Thank you Fletcher Munson! The 72 JMP profile is my main Marshall profile for my Les Pauls. I also dig the Mojave Peacemaker for single coils/brighter guitars. It's a little more chewy but definitely Marshall inspired. I also love the Silver Jubilee profiles. I had the real Mini Jub and think it does an awesome job when you need a modded Marshall JCM800 type of sound.

I think this can be done properly? I believe the way to do it is to use BYPASS mode so I'm not using the Fryette amp/attenuation and the used the balanced LINE OUT which says "Transformer isolated, balanced line output of signal coming from amplifier connected to Amp In" or will it not work this way?

I think Michael's work is getting better and better, which is no simple feat. His latest packs are a little more balanced in between studio and live optimization. I think the dark eq (especially with LPauls) some complained about is gone now, but there is still a fullness and lack of fizz that makes the profiles sound good when played loud. I was very curious about the Friedman 50 Deluxe. Well now I have "it".

I agree. I need to create some performances from these that fit my flow, but these new ones seem built for HB guitars and not as dark while retaining the fullness. The other profiles I have tried had the the right treble content but sounded thinner for live work. I'll have to try the Crank N Go live though to see if it's too much on the top end. My HB guitars are not dull...they have some top end.

I’ve been using MBritt exclusively for gigs and rehearsals the past 3 years. I find they have the right thickness and aren’t too trebly. Works well for going direct. I’ve tried Top Jimi and the Dr Z profiles and they’re great alone or for recordings but not so much live. Just curious if there are any more I should check out that have come out in the past year that are in the same space as MBritt

The Kemper works just like the Drop pedal. I have used both, but not side by side to compare. In a recent system update the latency was considerably reduced and made the transpose feature useable live for me.

The downside for both The Drop and Kemper transpose is when playing clean sounds. Somehow the latency is a lot more noticeable because the transient is clear.

I wouldn't likely need it much for clean cleans in terms of 1/2 step down stuff. I've noticed I don't like the "Smooth Chords" feature for my style of playing. It may boil down to me using it as a means to rehearse without the need to change guitars. I bring my Kemper to rehearsals and this might suffice. Although the way I have my performances laid out, I'd need a new performance of the same rig for the drop tuning or I'd be in for a hefty tap dance switching to rigs in a performance...I think. I get the Drop soon so I'll see how the compare side by side. I guess the HX Effects may get a transposer too which would be cool. I have that and use it in front of an Orange Rocker 15 head.

I've got a Digitech Drop on the way. I'll need it for my tube amp rig no matter what. But...I'm wondering if it will be worth the hassle of putting it in front of my Kemper which has the Transpose block. However, I read mixed reviews on how it compares to the Digitech Drop in terms of latency and quality. Many seem to prefer the Drop with some saying the Kemper transpose is "good enough". It would seem that a polyphonic effect is what is needed. I've read that right now the Helix and HX Effects don't have that so the pitch shift isn't that great.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I just couldn't use the Kemper's transpose feature for live gigs on a clean tone. For distorted stuff, it would have been doable. But the clean tone just felt almost like it had a quick fade-in when I was playing quick funky chords. So I ended up buying a Digitech Drop pedal on eBay yesterday for $129. I felt like that was a good deal.

The Kemper is decent in this area. Certainly useful for messing around at home and learning songs without having to re-tune the guitar, or to get you buy for a song or two. But for me, I play about 11 songs per night dropped down 1/2 step. And for at least 4 of those songs, I'm doing clean stuff and the Kemper would just be too noticeable for me. So the Digitech was worth buying.

Thread revival...

So the Digitech Drop is better than the Kemper Transpose function across the board, or, has the Kemper Transpose closed the gap since this post? I just tried messing with the Transpose effect and it's "OK". I'm on the latest FW build.

Is that Taurus Servo similar to a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster? I've been toying with getting something to help get similar volumes and response from two different guitars if I'm changing. Looks like the Servo is an always-on exciter? I'm typically plugging in with a Line 6 G10 wireless unit. Would a Servo, or Pickup Booster, work the same if I connect it directly to the Kemper and put the G10 in front of the pedal? I play straight to the PA 98% of the time.

Releasing a new form factor (e.g. AX8, Helix) would be no different than when they released the rack version.
    Or they could release a lower priced, floorboard version that only "plays" profiles and has no profiling capabilities. I imagine a lot of KPA users would love to leave their KPA at home and take a pedal[board] to shows.

In either case, it's expanding the Kemper family, not ruining it.

This would be very cool as far as a player-only floorboard and honestly, if the horsepower is not limited, I may go with that and sell off my lunch box. I don't care about the profiling feature. Michael Britt has supplied me 100s of amps...way more than I'd ever need and profiled at a level of excellence I'll never replicate.

Main thing for me is continued Kemper relevance as a player in this market because I love the sounds so much. The form factor and flow...meh...but the sounds are the best and easiest to get (I've owned the Fractal Axe II for years and sold it off for the Kemper). I have to believe the Helix platform and price points are tough for Kemper and Fractal to compete against long term.

Not sure if you guys noticed, but he used the Fathead II mic again for this one. On the Sweet 16 pack, it think it was mostly a R101 ribbon (not the R121) that was used for the blend. I definitely like the FH II profiles the best and the 3P CSR is fabulous.

I'm going to try the cab pack on the Top Jimi merged profiles

This is great. Thank you!

I've got a project coming up that I'm trying to put together focused on the music of the Stones & Black Crowes. I'll be handling some of the guitar duties. In the past, I'm mostly played my Kemper straight into the board. The other guitar player is going to use a tube amp+cab with pedal board. I have a Matrix GT1600FX power amp in a head enclosure that I can pop on top of a Port City 2x12 OS Vertical. But...I have the toaster version of the Kemper so that means sticking that somewhere behind the cab and using the remote plus a cable run for the guitar (if I'm not wireless). The cleanest set up would be a device that has the guts up in the pedal board and then I can just run to the GT1600FX head with one cable and I'm good. I won't be able to do that with the Kemper. I'm contemplating adding a Helix to do this. Actually, I've been contemplating buying a Dr Z Remedy head but that has no effects loop and I'd be back to a pedal board, etc. but I have this jones to hear a real amp again.

For those who have compared the Kemper vs. Helix in a preamp only mode, what did you find in terms of tones and feel? Were the differences evident between the two?