Posts by DirkGooding

sorry mate, I haven't done any other profiles since then - except the killswitch profile which sounds great together with a slightly distorted fender jazz bass.

The key to a good profile in my opinion is a good recording room. And you should really crank the volume so the cab can move some air =)

As soon as anyone sends me a link with a clean DI-Track and the original distorted part I can make a profile within minutes. You need to deliver a clean DI track though - and not a track with distorted guitars. I had to sit down and learn the main riff from My Curse / Killswitch for my last profile which wasn't a big deal but without a clean DI track you don't get very close to the original. Once this track has been recorded I can send it through my rectifier, record it with a mic and analyze it with Ozone. After this I turn on the matchmaking function in Ozone and make a LOG profile which sounds awesome =)

No, not yet. You mean that ozone couldnt match the tone? I only had the strange behaviour that for exteme scoop guitar sounds (like demanfacture, pantera or life of agony) the ozone plugin got the sound pretty good, but the KPA could not profile it with the exact same sound. This only seems to happen with those extreme scoops.

For bass, i am not sure if tonematching is capable of reproducing stuff like compression, which is a major component of a bass sound.

The cliff burton solo from kill em all might be easy to match because of the high distortion, maybe i will give it try.

It took me several hours to realize that my bass sound was the problem. Ozone couldn't match it with the original bass sound from My Curse because my sound was too different from the original. I was using plugins (Ampeg plugin, EZmix2) as a source because I don't have a bass amp. After recording a track with an ampeg profile from my kemper and tweaking it a little (more gain and less bass) it magically worked. It's not as perfect as the Killswitch guitar sound i did the other day but it does a good job in the mix.

The only problem is: how can I make a profile of this sound without a bass amp? As I said I had to use the kemper as my source signal...

No, not yet. You mean that ozone couldnt match the tone? I only had the strange behaviour that for exteme scoop guitar sounds (like demanfacture, pantera or life of agony) the ozone plugin got the sound pretty good, but the KPA could not profile it with the exact same sound. This only seems to happen with those extreme scoops.

For bass, i am not sure if tonematching is capable of reproducing stuff like compression, which is a major component of a bass sound.

The cliff burton solo from kill em all might be easy to match because of the high distortion, maybe i will give it try.

Yeah, Ozone couldn't match the tone, the crucial mids are just not there. I gonna ask a friend to set up a marshall jcm 800 with a bass box in his studio, grab a jazz bass and profile the whole combination. Blend this together with a clean DI track for the lows and it might work.

Btw: Isn't it easier and more "neighbour friendly" to use a guitar simulation instead of a real amp for the final profiling process? I don't hear a big difference between an amp with a mic (my Rectifier) and an amp emulation (in my case EZmix 2) after changing the EQ curve with Ozone.

I haven't made a profile with an amp simulation yet so I´m not 100% sure if & how this works.

I've uploaded the guitar sound from My Curse (Record: As daylight dies - Killswitch Engage) to the Database. Have fun =)

http://kemper-amps.com/api/dow…Kl5ZqVRzZYfnX08?.kipr</a>

If you want to hear how close the sound really is just listen to this file on soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/me-against-the-world/mycurse-kemper1

Short info for the guy who was asking for "The End of Heartache": The guitar sound is not that much different from "As daylight dies", the eq curves in Ozone almost looked the same. Just turn down Treble/Presence a little bit.

One last thing: If you want to use this sound in a mix you also need a heavily distorted bass to get the same massive guitar sound that you can hear on the records. Try a Fender Jazz Bass through a Marshall JCM 800 for the mids (and only the mids, no lows or highs) and a seperate DI track for the lows. Lowpass and highpass the distorted track (Lowpass somewhere between 3 KHz to 4,5 Khz, Highpass 300-400 HZ) so you only have the distorted mids on this track, then lowpass the DI track and cut everything above 250-300 Hz. Mix both sounds together.