Posts by kojak_

I recently decided to try out my non-powered Profiler Head through one channel (600W) of my Dynacord S1200 at the rehearsal space and i was quite amazed. It sounded just as full and punchy as with a 100W tube head.

Since we use the Dynacord for vocals over the PA, I'm now looking to get a dedicated poweramp.

The Camplifier looks like the ideal solution, but i'm a bit worried it will "thin out" due to lack of headroom at higher volumes and sound more like a pushed 20W head than a 100W head in terms of bass response, clarity and punchynes.

Has anybody been able to compare the camplifier (180W mono) to a good quality hi wattage poweramp like the dynacord or to a good 100W head?

try a real tubescreamer in front to tighten up the low end instead of the "green screamer". if using the green screamer, put the tone tone control at around -1 to get in similar ballbark as a real OD808 or TS808 with the tone at noon. The green scream will still have less bass and a slightly more platic pick attack.

still, i agree that the kemper has a somewhat plastic pick attack, which is most noticeable to us metal players since we care A LOT about palm mutes ;)

I have been using my kemper since it came out, and have found that with hi-gain profiles that have a lower default definition parameter (about 7-8) this 'plastic' pick attack is less prominent.

well, this pretty much coincides whit my experience after trying a few different SS poweramps with my AxeFX before i had the kemper.

i'm glad i didn't take the plunge and get a powerhead to replace my 'hollow' toaster 8)

the thread title could be a bit misleading for some i guess :D

anyway, the 'alternative input' at the back doesn't work on my unit. it's also not selectable under 'input' or 'system'

Sorry to make a stupid question: I'm running my Kemper through a Blue Amp 212 FR-A, 250W mono class D. Even in the loudest band situation (full band, 11 people on a big stage)I never go past the -10 db and it is as loud as a driven 4x12. Even at 180W@0db it should be on the 100db limit if not over. Are you guys looking to get deaf?

again, it's not about loudness but headroom.

a (good) 20W head will often cut through a band mix as good as a 100W head. the difference in bass response and tightness will be enormous with both amps at the same "volume".

Why don't you just get a Camplifier then?

because of 600W vs 180W at 8Ω mono.

i've tried several PA poweramps years ago when i still had my AXE. like most hi-gain or metal player that run a 100W head into a 4x12, i can tell you that the few poweramps rated at around 300W mono or less at 8Ω simply didn't sound good, compared to larger ones with 500W+. it's not about total loudness, but about headroom and tightness. a 180W poweramp will still be 'loud enough' a 1kHz, but bass frequencies won't be as controllable and punchy as with a larger unit with more headroom.

the camplifier needs a 500W+ bigger brother, imo

as for the kemper powerhead: i'm sure kemper will learn from this and not make the same mistake again in the future. i'm also confident the powerhead will sell just fine. i'm still disappointed about how this is being treated, as well as CKs responses on this matter so far. it's time to move on now, though.

since things are getting a bit out of hand, i'd like to remind you what this thread was originally about:

the fact that you CAN NOT upgrade a non-powered kemper profiling amplifier to a powerhead.

this is a fact, no matter how you look at it. the 300€ rebate may represent an option for many. i also see CKs point about "what if the unit hadn't a hole in the back in the first place". if this was the case, then nobody would have expected to be able to upgrade to a build-in poweramp like it was announced from the early beginning.

the rest of this thread is mostly personal opinions on the matter. mine is, that kemper did not handle the "upgrade" situation properly, and that's what i wanted to express in this thread. the fact that kemper does not show interest in selling the poweramp for the users to install it at their own risk, is also a letdown. a lot of users here are handy with electronics and would be easily capable of doing this upgrade with no or very little support needed from kemper.

as for now, i'm considering two options: 1) trying the camplifier. 2) building my own poweramp

yes, some sort of trade-in program would indeed be an acceptable solution as well.

that's what i was told at the kemper booth yesterday. of course in a much more polite manner. still, fact is that they won't sell us 'old' kemper users the poweramp.

i even insisted that i'd be willing to install it myself at my own risk. still no.

what the fuck? i'm seriously let down (and kinda pissed off) by this. I'm sure i'm not the only one feeling this is not an acceptable solution.

I am aware this has been discussed before, but i wanted to make a dedicated thread for this for others to share their opinion on this matter, too.

I am also aware there are other third party solutions like the camplifier, but based on my experience with SS poweramps powering a 4x12 i am VERY skeptical about running 'just' 180W mono (as with the camplifier)

:(

is that article really saying you won't be able to buy a poweramp if you already own a KPA?

if so, the solution they're offering (300€ rebate for powered kpa) is laughable. they can't seriously expect older users to sell their current KPA and buy a powered one for 'just' 1700€ if you want to upgrade.