Posts by davec69

This may have more to do with the FCB-1010 than it does with the KPA.

There is a delay in switching, with my EurekaProm installed FCB-1010. Not sure if it's the same on the stock FCB-1010.

If I look at the display screen on the FCB-1010, as I push a footswitch, I can actually see the FCB recall & send the patch. There is a delay on the FCB itself.

The KPA seems to be ready to go, but the FCB-1010 takes a second to get it's self together. This might be different on other foot controllers.

Watch the LED display on you FCB-1010, the next time and see if it jumps directly to the patch, or if it takes a second.

Yes. I'm using the FCB-1010 with the Eureka prom. It works great in PP configuration.

The EurekaProm in PP configuration give you 4 accessible banks.

PR Mode - Preset mode allows you to scroll through the assigned presets in the Kemper. FYI. There are no presets assigned in the kemper by default. You must assign presets in the kemper to a preset number before you can change presets with any kind of external midi.

FP Mode - Favorite Presets - This bank allows you to setup 10 favorites that you can access with the 10 footswitches. You assign them in combination with the PR mode.

EF Mode - Effects Mode - You can program the 10 footswitches to turn on or off any of the Stomp or Effects slots in the Kemper. Also, you can assign them to tap tempo and tuner on and off. Basically any CC command can be sent using the footswitches.

SP Mode - Special Mode - Sends Midi Notes. Haven't found a use for this yet with the Kemper.

You also have two pedals which can be assigned. I have one setup for KPA volume and the other to control the wah

I work for a Pro Audio/MI distributor/retailer based in the SF Bay Area. We sell many brands including JBL, QSC, Roland, Akai, RCF, Shure, AKG, Kemper and many others. I can tell you that most of the brands that we carry have raised their prices at least once since January. Some have raised prices twice since January. A few have even raised prices 3 times just since January.

This has more to do with the volatile U.S. economy, than anything else.

I in no way speak for the folks at Kemper, but my guess is that they waited as long as possible before announcing any price increase. The hard fact is that the price of everything is going up. Kemper is not immune.

I use the Behringer FCB-1010 Footcontroller, so I can't help you specifically with the GCP, but I can recommend downloading Midi-Ox, if you have a way of connecting midi to your computer. I used it quite a bit while setting up midi on my FCB-1010.

With Midi-Ox, you can see midi messages scroll down your computer screen in real time, when you hit a switch on the GCP. Using this, you can at least see if the correct or if any messages are being sent by the GCP to your KPA.

I just connected a midi cable from the Midi thru of the KPA to the midi in of my laptop. Then fired up Midi-Ox to monitor midi activity. Bear in mind, that when you connect using the a midi thru port on the KPA, you will only see the relayed midi from the Midi In port, not the midi information being sent by the KPA. If you want to see what the KPA is sending, you'll need to connect to the KPA midi out port. Midi Thru ports only relay what's coming into the Midi In of a device, normally.

Midi Ox - http://www.midiox.com/

I'm glad to see that one of my suggestions (Supro 1624T ) made it to the new pack. Already purchased the bundle. Can't wait to go through it tonight.

Thanks for the hard work.

Don't forget that your Kemper is a "Profiling" amp. If you have a friend with an acoustic amp call him or her up.

Even better, rent a few hours at your favorite local recording studio. Setup your perfect acoustic sound using their high gear and amps, then profile it.

Don't forget to upload the profiles...... ;)

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your problem, but I'll post my experience.
    I've had this no sound problem happen on a couple occasions. I tried changing the volume using all of the on board kemper controls, with no luck.

What did work, I'm using a Behringer FCB-1010 Midicontroller. If I hit the volume pedal, the sound comes back. It's like the Kemper boots up sometimes, with the midi volume at 0. I don't know if it's possible to change this without a midi volume pedal connected.

For the next time: it would have been enough to switch off X and lock it...

Yes, in hindsight, that would have been easier, but I do have profiles that use the X slot for other effects. Locking it off, would also lock off wanted effects.

No worries, now that I know, I've have it setup to work correctly. It's just that in the heat of the moment and all.

Make sure you do not have any active fx loops in any of your slots which are not connected to an external device.

I usually keep my Boss loop pedal active when the KPA is at my rehearsal space, but I don't use it live. Recently I was at gig and I could not get sound out of my KPA. Turns out I had disconnected my looper pedal from the back of the KPA, but forgot to disable the loop in the X slot. Even worse, I had saved my profiles with the loop active, so anytime I switched profiles, the sound would cut out again. I had to go back and save all of my profiles, with the loop disabled, before we could start the set........Lesson learned........

This may be obvious to most, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

I have a Gr-55 that I return in stereo to the loop of my the KPA. X Slot and Stereo Loop.

My Godin guitar connects to the GR-55 via the 13 pin cable, so anytime I'm playing Gr-55 synth or modeling sounds, the sound is coming in through the loop of the KPA and not the regular input. This means that the Input light of the KPA does not light up at all.

Tonight I noticed that the Master light was hitting the red. A light bulb came on, and it dawned on me that the master section of the KPA can be overloaded just by returning a hot signal though the KPA FX Loop.

This might explain some of the confusion people are having with Master light overloading, while the Input light is not. In my scenario, I was able to overload the Master section with just a hot signal returning in the KPA loop. Adjusting the input sensitivities would have had no effect on the Master section clipping.

The only way to stop the Master section from clipping in this case would be to go into the KPA loop and bring down the volume, or turn down the volume of the effect returning into the loop (in my case, the GR-55).

I know sometimes, I've been confused as to why my KPA was overloading the master section on some profiles, and not on the others. Now I have another thing to check.

Shouldn't a power conditioner be able to protect the KPA as well in that situation?
    Sure, it'll shut down when the power goes, but if a powerspike occurs and never reaches the KPA, you should be able to switch it on again immediately, no?

That's a definite.....Maybe ;)

WIth a UPS, if the mains power goes out, the UPS will keep the KPA powered until you can safely power it down using the switch.

With a regular surge protector or non UPS type strip, it's like pulling the plug out of the wall while playing. To be honest, I don't know if this would trigger the KPA's internal protection circuit. If it does, you'll need to wait the allotted cool down period before the KPA can be powered up again. From what I learned, it should only be a few minutes, but I can tell you from experience, those few minutes seem like an eternity when everyone's waiting for you.

One thing I can tell is the folks at Kemper will take care of you, if you have a issue with the KPA. I've already been contacted in response to this thread. Great customer service guys...........

ups = uninterruptible power supply

Simply, a UPS provides backup power to your devices (KPA) in the event of a power failure.

Usually, smaller UPS have some kind of rechargeable battery inside which can provide a few minutes of power, which gives you time to safely shutdown your KPA, if the power goes off.

UPS can easily get larger than the KPA itself, which is why they are not very fun to carry around.

One thing that I really wanted to avoid, was dragging another piece of gear the gig. I do feel that his is one of those must have items, though.

A quick Google search did find a Chinese company who claims to have the smallest UPS available. I could probably fit this one inside my rack. Only 5 minutes of backup time, but that should be long enough for me to safely turn off the KPA in the event of a power failure. They have a few models. This one is their mobile model.

http://www.leeer.com/4M/4M.htm

Can someone smarter than me look at the specs on the above website, and verify that this unit will work with the KPA? How about powering my ADA Microtube amp as well?

I just emailed the company for pricing. If I hear back from them, I'll post it. Maybe we can do a group buy, if reasonable.

I don't have an mBox, but a couple things you can look for.

1. Check if direct monitoring is on. Sometimes this is required. You should find it in the control panel for the mbox.
    2. Try arming a channel for record in your recording software, to see if you get a level.

I had a good scare yesterday while using my KPA at a outdoor gig.

About 3 songs into the set, we lost power to the stage. Complete shutdown. This was a concern of ours from the start, when we realized that the promoters had only ran one power line from the facility to the outdoor stage, for the whole band. Sure enough, the fuse blew about 15 minutes into the set. I promptly turned the power knob on the KPA to Off. It took them about 15 minutes to get another line to the stage, and reset the fuse.

Once power to the stage was up again, I tried firing up the KPA, but I got nothing. I did the usual. Removed the power cable for a couple minutes, tried again, still nothing. 15 minutes later with no KPA love and a very patient audience, I decided to use my GR-55, which I just happened to be trying out for the first time at a gig. Thank God, I had it with me. After a few minutes of scrolling through GR-55 presets, I found a usable modeling patch, and I managed to finish the 1st set, using the GR-55.

After the first set was over, I tried the KPA again, and luckily, it fired up (Guess it just need time to calm it's nerves after the traumatic power outage. About 30 minutes to be exact.).

I was able to complete the show with the KPA, but it did not make for a good experience. I don't know if this power issue is something that can be addressed with firmware, but I sure hope so. I really need to know that the KPA is going to power up when I turn the knob. Not knowing is not a good feeling, and frankly is my biggest concern. I know that power outages are rare, I think this is the 2nd time for our band, in 5 years, more likely, someone trips over a power cable and off goes the power. WIll my KPA boot?

To clarify, turning the power knob to any of the positions, did nothing. No lights, nothing on the screen, no noise....nothing.