Posts by davec69

Of course we all know it would never happen, but what if it did? What's your... Oh Lawd....My Kemper died during the gig backup?

As I was going through my gig bag today, I ran across my Roland BR-80, and thought I'd share. It fits in a pocket on my Guitar Gig Bag. In addition, it's a great amp modeler, multi track recorder, and even an virtual band for jamming. Tuner included. Along with the BR-80, I keep a 3.5mm to 1/4" stereo cable in the same pocket.

I've had mine for a while, not sure if Roland is still selling them

[Blocked Image: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwib5IH-1rzWAhXJxVQKHQX6A8IQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6iC7Qd5X_4k&psig=AFQjCNF92qoOghsmoqlMIsnv4qUAG1qBZQ&ust=1506303221707039][Blocked Image: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwib5IH-1rzWAhXJxVQKHQX6A8IQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6iC7Qd5X_4k&psig=AFQjCNF92qoOghsmoqlMIsnv4qUAG1qBZQ&ust=1506303221707039][Blocked Image: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6iC7Qd5X_4k/maxresdefault.jpg]

Boss Introduction video:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Presets Demo Video:
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Acoustic Tones Demo:

+1 on the Blank Preset. Works for me.

FYI. For even more flexibility, your H9 also has it's own internal preset mapping feature, which allows you to map your H9 presets to any received midi program #. By default, the H9 preset midi map looks like this:

Midi Program Change 1 from Kemper calls up Preset 1 on H9
    Midi Program Change 2 from Kemper calls up Preset 2 on H9
    Midi Program Change 3 from Kemper calls up Preset 3 on H9
    Midi Program Change 4 from Kemper calls up Preset 4 on H9
    and so on................

But you can re-map your H9, for example:

Midi Program Change 1 from Kemper calls up Preset 8 on H9
    Midi Program Change 2 from Kemper calls up Preset 15 on H9
    Midi Program Change 3 from Kemper calls up Preset 1 on H9
    Midi Program Change 4 from Kemper calls up Preset 1 on H9
    and so on................

Here you go:

It would be a cool feature, to have a drop down, similar to the one the rig screen (ie. Date Added, Author, Latest Added, ect) , which allowed you to select one effect type at a time (ie. Delays, Wah, Compressors, Eq, ect).

I also use the H9 with my KPA. Love it. I never had the volume jump issue, but I use my H9 a little differently.

What works for me is to keep the loop ON in the KPA, all the time (for all rigs), and I just created a blank patch in the H9. Patch #1 in the H9 for example. For all KPA rigs that don't use the H9 FX, I select patch 1. If I remember correctly, in the H9, I started with a EQ preset, and set everything to zero and named it "Blank".

For rigs that need a different effect in slot X, i just save the rig with that effect in the slot, instead of the loop.

I've used the latest beta 5.3 firmware in several rehearsals, and at least 2 previous shows, without incident. Certainly, nothing like mentioned above.

I probably have the last 10 backups on the USB stick that stays with my Kemper. Restoring a backup in the middle of a gig though, would be a serious last resort. Come to think of it, I've owned my KPA since 2012, and I've never needed to roll back a firmware upgrade. I think I've restored backups, maybe twice in that time.

I'm leaning more towards the Atomic as the problem. I pulled the EL84 power tubes last night, and noticed what appeared to be black soot on the inside of the tubes glass. If it were one of my regular tube amps, my first thought would be that the amp was over biased and overheating. I had in a pair of my favorite Mesa Boogie EL84 6BQ5 tubes, but they might have been too much for the Atomic. I swapped in a set of Mullard EL84's last night, and played for an hour or so, without problems.

Searching the web, I've found one person who mentioned that the Atomic 122-18 cabinet doesn't need biasing. Every time biasing is mentioned, it is in reference to the 50w version of the Atomic cab.

Ok, first the gear:

KPA un-powered toaster (Latest 5.3 beta firmware)
    Atomic 112-18w powered cabinet (2 EL84 power tubes and 12AX7 phase inverter)
    Behringer FCB1010 Midi Footcontroller.

The problem - Last night at our bands big 10th anniversary gig, about 4-5 songs in, I start getting tone fluctuations. I would describe it as if I was rolling the tone knob on my guitar, to zero, then back up to 10, randomly. This lasted through one song, then seemed to clear up. The next 4-5 songs were uneventful. Then, right in the middle of a slow blues guitar solo (I did dial up the volume here), the sound started cutting in and out randomly, until finally, all I had were the pick attacks, with zero sustain. Sounded like little blips each time I hit a string. Fortunately, I had a 2nd combo amp setup beside my main rig, running parallel as a backup, and it continued working. Eventually, the sound from my KPA returned, and I finished the show with my main rig.

My first thought is that the tubes in the Atomic 112-18 farted out. (BTW, does anyone know if this 18w Atomic 112 cab can bias adjusted? I can only find instructions for the 50w cab). Then I remembered the funky tone stuff early in the show, and thought that maybe it is some kind of midi problem with the new firmware?

BTW, my tone for the whole show was really shrill and high-endy. No amount of tone control adjustment seemed to help. This was definitely not normal.

Any thoughts?

Looked interesting until I saw the 5 euro fee added for purchasing just one set. No problem, I'd probably buy at least two sets anyway, but what's the deal with the VAT included in the price. Does that tax get removed from USA buyers?

Wow.... I finally got some time yesterday, to checkout these new DR Z profiles, and I have to say, I was in Jangle heaven. I'd say 90% of the profiles worked perfectly with my PRS DGT Signature, right out of the box. If you're into low-medium gain jangle tones, ala Tom Petty, Mike Campbell, Stones, Smiths, REM, ect. Then you'll definitely want to checkout these profiles. This profile pack also has some of the best clean profiles that I have found. Kudos to the folks at DR Z.

Thought it was just me........Yesterday, I got to spend some time with those new DR Z profiles, and during testing, I noticed that the wah response seemed really sluggish. Lagging quite a bit behind input. Never noticed that before.

Grabbed the DR Z profiles last night. Looking forward to trying them out tonight.

Next step, I'd love to see amp manufacturers like DR Z bring in some of their endorsee artists to create some custom Rig/Performance packs.

Looking forward to those DR Z Presents - Brad Paisley, Billy Gibbons, Keb Mo, Lenny Kravitz, John Oates amp/performance/fx packs.

Thanks for the info. I can understand the developers concerns regarding this method. It could easily result in more problems than on started with. I've used this process a couple time before, fortunately, with no negative results.

Given the choice between deleting cabs one at a time, or in one go using this method, I think I'll take my chances...

Keep in mind that drummers have had to deal with this since the rhythm machines of the 60's, all the way through EZDrummer and BFD, and I can find no shortage of drummers. They are as relevant as ever.

As a guitar player myself though, I welcome this new technology. I can assure you that in some stage of production for these new products, there are guitar players. There are also probably many guitar players using products like this. I'd love to have a controller like the one in the video. I'd use it for keyboard sounds, but then I guess there'd be no keyboard players either. ;)

I've decided that it's time to rid my KPA of some of the cabinets that I never use. My plan is to use the backup and restore method. I'll make a backup onto my USB stick, open it in my PC, delete the cabinets that I don't need, and then restore the backup, minus the cabinets. This is the fastest method that I know of, to rid my KPA of clutter. I've done this previously, and it works great. My question before doing this again,

Are the cabinets used in browser and performance rigs, stored inside of the actual .kipr rig file, as oppose to being stored in the "Cabinets" folders?

I'd hate to delete a cabinet that is needed for one of my rigs.

Maybe a little wishful thinking, but the KPA does an excellent job of tracking pitch effects. It would be great if that detection could also be used to pass through midi note information to the KPA's midi out, to be used to power VST synths. Probably not the most latency efficient way, but it could be very useful.