Posts by diego

Thanks Bert for the very nice new acoustic profiles. Works right out of the box. Only the nylon guitar ones sound more dark with my Yamaha Nylon (same one as you have mentioned in your profile information). This I could handle with eq. Otherwise very usable profiles that come in very hand for me now.

I am not a high gain player but my mesa boogie sits directly below my Katana and I can dial in tones with a lot of gain that are almost identical to those coming from the Mesa....I am shocked as it also feels very similar. But at the end I am not a metal player so probably my judgement is not so valid.

For me the Katana as such sounds very much like a tube amp. When using with the Kemper you get the sound from the profiles that sound the originally profiled tube amp. The open combo system provides more "amp in the room" feeling vs. usual FRFR. Hope this helps.

if using directly as an amp you will notice that the treble and presence at e.g. 12 o'clock are already too much in many cases... may be this is the cause of the harshness?

The Boss Katana inspired me to try the Roland Blues Cube Artist amp. Man, this is incredibly good. At least for me with modest gain requirements it seems to be a great alternative even to the Kemper. Like the KAtana it also loves pedals. Never thought that a transistor amp can get so good. And there is USB recording out. We live in a world full of options - what is another challenge :)

I also ordered a Katana combo with one 12" speaker. Frankly speaking I have NEVER seen any other amp at this price point being that good --- and not only for the price.. The clean channel is big, fat and loud and one of the best jazz type of sound I ever heard. It takes also pedals very well and the built in effects by Boss (50!) are also very usable.. You can do a lot of nice things just with the clean channel. The other channels crunch, lead and brown provide a number of very dynamic and great sounding drive sounds from slight to heavy. There is no latency and in my opinion you can dial in sounds that are as good as any tube amp sounds in terms of feel, dynamics, sound impression and transparency.

As a monitor for the KPA it also works incredibly well. The power amp is very stable and loud and makes the KPA shine.

I have no idea how Boss is doing this but I am deeply impressed.

Cheers Sacapuntas

that is why I use the A/B switch before the Trio input. When all is recorded I deactive the monitor input in to the Trio and hear just the good quality stereo from the KPA. I agree this is not ideal and in another version this should be stereo..... and having the possibility to add speaker sim on/off as needed... For me the TRIO+ is fun and I accept the fact that it is not perfect yet

That is a good thought. However, with the Trio+ you want to record the loops with the sound from the KPA and with your proposal this is not feasible I guess.....

I use as follows - and yes the lack of stereo is a certain hurdle with the TRIO+:

guitar >> KPA >> Main out stereo to mixer (you could also use your headphone now directly at KPA.)
    KPA Monitor OUT >> TRio+ guitar in
    Trio+ headphone stereo out >> KPA stereo AUX in (this is the return and second input of the KPA that can be used as AUX in)

With this you can teach the TRIO+ and record also loops (they will be with mono effects). At least your improvising part on top of the band will be with full KPA stereo. As there is a slight interference when between the direct KPA output and the additional one that comes through the AUX in, I attached a A/B selector in front of the TRIO+ guitar in. When the TRIO+ is ready to go with drums, bass and loops I shut down the TRIO+ guitar in with this A/B selector and have full KPA sound quality.

I hope this is somehow understandable. Works for me and is certainly a compromise what is triggered through the lack of stereo capabilities of the TRIO

Cheers
    Sacapuntas

Hi folks

there is a relatively new acoustic guitar amp from Bugera called AC60. As the name suggests it is a 60 Watt amp very similar to an AER acoustic amp. Very small and very easy to carry (6kg) and great acoustic guitar sound for only around 280 Euros.

http://www.music-group.com/Cat…o-Amplifiers/AC60/p/P0B4P

It comes with an interesting speaker called "TURBOSOUND dual-cone speaker" - a broad band system. The amp is very clear, no hum or hiss and despite the size it can get very loud.

Today I linked my KPA "monitor out" with the "return in" from the little Bugera box. In my opinion it sounds just amazing. Despite the small 8 inch speaker it has a lot of volume and is able to let the KPA shine. Everything sounds very natural and amp like. If you have the chance try it out. Please use it with the "CAB ON" within the KPA.

Cheers
    Sacapuntas

The Digitech Trio+ is a fun device, however, it comes with a number of limitations - especially if you enjoy a stereo setup with the KPA.
    The only solution I have identified to be able to still play the KPA in stereo w/o the nasty sound interferences from the speaker simulation of the Digitech Trio is like this:

a) Guitar >> KPA Input >> Stereo Out to Mixer >> Active Stereo Speakers
    b) KPA monitor mono out >> Digtech Guitar in (split with a Electro Harmonix A/B switchbox (A = active B = Dummy)
    c) Digitech Headphone out to Mixer >> Active Stereo Speakers

For the generation of the Digitech Trio band part the KPA monitor out play right into the guitar in of the Trio (b)

After generation the loops I shut down the monitor out to Digitech Guitar in with the EH switchbox. THen I hear my unmodified guitar signal from the KPA through a) in stereo. Of course the loops are mono (what is a shame if you want to develop nice delay stereo loops...:-(.

Not the most elegant way but it works for me. I could also use my other Digitech loopers at the end of the chain in stereo, but w/o midi sync this seems to be a hassle.

Any other solutions around for a KPA stereo setup and Trio?

Cheers Sacapuntas

PS is there any software that could do the same? I mean guitar chord recognition, then playing the bass and drums and loop? I think for Band in a Box or ChordPulse you must enter the chords - not so much fun...

Thanks
    Sacapuntas

Here is how I made the connections: (similar to Aussiejoe)

- Guitar connected to Kemper input jack
    - 2 cables (left & right) from the Kemper Main output into a stereo line in (left & right) on my mixer
    - A cable from the Kemper Monitor output into the Guitar in of the Trio
    - a stereo cable from the headphone from TRIO+ out into my Yamaha mixer

Seems to work fine. The disadvantage is that you here the your playing through the KPA then also through the chain with the headphone out back to the mixer. It gives a slight interference but not too much.

Cheers