Posts by musicman65

Great news! Looking forward to Rig Manager. I assume this is equivalent to a librarian?

I'm also assumimg that Kemper starts with a windows based application for the simple reason that there are more PC's than macs?? (Flame suit on)

Waaay more...like 10 to 1. Do like everyone else and run Windows in a virtual machine. It works much better than complaining. ☺

Keyboards, although somewhat varied, are much more consistent than Bluetooth. Everyone's BT stack is different and not all adapters work with all stacks. Cool idea but a keyboard would be easier and they won't even do that. Oh well.

It depends on the brand. There are many noiseless SC pups available. I use Dimarzio Area pups and I challenge anyone to identify them as noiseless by listening in a musical context....other than the lack of hum. There are differences but I've heard as much difference between various true SC pups as well.

If you use high gain tones, then the him can be intolerable in certain environments. Noiseless pups solve this 100%. If you use shimmering clean and glassy fender tones, it won't matter as much and YOU will hear the most difference. Your audience won't know apart from the dead silence.

CK, with all due respect, I have never played a smaller indoor venue where there wasn't some huge peak or valley in the room response, usually in the low and mid-bass. EQ's are used in the real world everyday to correct for speakers and rooms. Overall linearity is improved, not destroyed....yes minor nonlinearities are introduced but overall, it is an improvement.

Intellectually, in a perfect world, I can understand your explanations. EQs create problems. But they solve problems too. Just keep buying better speakers...I get it. The problem is that with an external EQ, I get the result I want with my current FRFR.

I have no reason to debate this further as you already are fully convinced that we don't need it. That's fine. I'll buy an extra EQ or move on to something else that delivers the features I need. The KPA is the best amp sim I've ever heard but perhaps its shortcoming is a lack of flexibility and practical features in the long run.

I'll wait around awhile in hopes others can explain this need better than me. Please consider it.

Respectfully, bd.

You see, keyboarders have a very wide concept of sounds, that philosophically includes all situations that a guitarist can be into.
    Still they have a different concept of working with speakers. In my perception they share concept with drummers, singers, producers, etc. A good example for guitarists!

CK, Excellent points. The best I can think of is sampled piano sounds and also vocal monitors. Piano sounds are difficult to reproduce in a monitor because they are extremely full range and harmonically complex. A good EQ helps!

Vocal monitors nearly always require EQ if only to tame feedback from room resonances.

Now guitarists....we have something nobody else has. Its the very thing that makes the KPA the exceptional choice. We have "feel" from the sound pressure interacting with the guitar....attack, response, feedback. An FRFR monitor can lose this tactile response that the KPA provides. EQ correction with external gear has been shown to restore this

I'm done begging....for now. I hope we can see something in the future to help with this. Other products have it and I miss it in the KPA.

bd

My Roland VG99 has this but I would prefer the better amp tones of the KPA!

This is quite a monster with 16 to 22 parameters.
    How have we survived on stage for half a century without this, how in the recording studio?

No disrespect but we didn't have widespread use of devices that mimic the sounds of real instruments like the KPA does. Also, the bar has been raised. We expect better options and monitoring that is more authentic and hi-fi. Why should we settle for less?

How can I tame this monster in a live situation, where I have to adjust my sound to the circumstance in a limited time?

I don't want to readjust my monitoring speakers for the room. I only want to correct them to sound closer to more neutral. The room is the room, whether a guitar amp or modeling/profiler with FRFR is used.

Do you care about the sound of your fellow musicians, that go through the same PA or monitors? What is their solution?

My fellow musicians use traditional amps. They don't adjust them for the room. They are close mic'd or direct line. My FOH PA gear uses a stereo digital 31 band EQ + 10 band parametric with RTA. We analyze each venue and store as a preset for recall so we have correction for the speakers and the room. This assures that instrument and vocals translate well in different rooms. We have a very consistent sound. I wouldn't do it any other way.

I hope one day to have more consistent profiled tones too. I want to sound as good as I can when playing live! An enhanced KPA monitor EQ would really help.

Thanks CK for a great musical tool. I hope there is still room for improvement for us live players.

bd

Please help me to understand:

In what situation will I need a parametric eq (maybe even 6 band) and use it to to make a qualified correcion to the sound of an FRFR speaker by judging the overall sound using my guitar sound as a reference?

What speaker is it? Where does it come from? What has it been used for prior to that?

My personal example is an FRFR stereo combo amp I own. Its a Motion Sound KP500sn 500w stereo amp with 2 12" Delta Elite speakers and 4 Ferrous Fluid horns. It sounds quite good playing prerecorded music through it but has a noticeable hump in the upper mids that the amp's tone controls don't fully address. I can correct with an external eq between it and the KPA and make all my profiles sound much closer to my studio monitors. The correction isn't complex but can't be made by fixed EQ controls. A 4 band parametric is all that is needed in this example. 6 would be better.

I do not adjust the EQ just by listening to my profiles. I compare my monitor amp to my studio monitors and adjust until my favorite profiles translate well on the FRFR amp and sound similar to the studio monitors. The result is a much better tone on all profiles than the uncorrected tone....and much closer to what is sent to FOH.

Monitoring is always a compromise for me. I require portability and reasonable price. An EQ won't fix a horrible speaker but a good mid level FRFR can be improved greatly.

Thanks CK for your interest in how we might utilize an improved monitor EQ. I hope I have explained why it would work well for those of us using the average FRFR speaker solution.

bd

musicman65, I agree completely.

Let´s put that in a commercial way:
    I cant believe anybody potential customer who is thinking to buy KPA doesnt think it is a bad thing having that option :)

A good 6 band parametric is jest as effective in most situations. Each band has a center frequency, Q (width), and gain. The rotary knobs and interface on the KPA lend themselves to this also. 31 band EQ'a are nice....so either is fine.

My Roland V-drum module has a nice example of this.

CK,

Could we compromise on this and get a 6 band fully adjustable parametric in both Main and Monitor outputs? I think that would allow most mid-range priced FRFR to be corrected enough to overcome any objections. Having them stored for recall would be great.

Thanks,

bd

I agree to Christoph. I wonder how a well mixed recording will sound on your system with an EQ curve like that. Doesn't seem that it would come out very linear or pleasant sounding with that drastic settings. And i don't see the point in adding tools to take out the flaws of equipment connected to the Profiler.

For recording, no correction is needed. We are talking about live use and monitoring, not recording. Studio FRFR should be trusted more whereas we KNOW that most FRFR PA speakers need EQ.

If the correction was made in a room with severe nodal issues like most small rooms have then prerecorded music could possibly sound better too. If you have ever analized a room, you would know that drastic curves are common in the lower freqs.

To be fair, I am suggesting that the speaker needs correcting, not necessarily the room also. An amp in the room suffers from room resonance too. I would just like to have a better EQ to help normalize the FRFR speaker.

[quote='tylerhb','index.php?page=Thread&postID=111755#post111755'][quote='DonPetersen','index.php?page=Thread&postID=111750#post111750']so I say it again
    IMO a 31 band EQ makes no sense in the hands of a guitarist.

I respectfully disagree.

The #1 reason the KPA fails to deliver for some has nothing to do with what's inside the KPA. Its the lack of affordable FRFR solutions that come close enough to satisfy the average amp user. Read the threads. Its a common thread throughout the discussions. Anything done to help this is a step in the right direction.

A 10 band parametric or 31 band eq implementation can tame the inconsistencies enough (not perfectly) to satisfy the annoyances of a mediocre to good FRFR speaker and let the player get on with playing instead of purchasing yet another FRFR solution....or giving up.

To think a guitar tone is less critical to EQ than a band mix is a mistake. A few dB of resonance here and there can totally change the character of a guitar tone just like it can for a full mix.

I would really like and definitely utilize a more adjustable main and monitor eq in the KPA....and I suspect it would help others overcome their issues with their mid-range FRFR being "off" or "not right". It just makes sense.

bd

Bottom line:

The KPA boot loader needs to find a fixed filename in order to automatically upgrade. I doubt they will change this.

Solution:

Keep separate USB sticks if you want to recover to more than one FW version. Surely nobody needs more than 2. One would be beta and the other trusted.

On the user's PC, zip files named to reflect each FW can be kept in an archive folder and extracted to one of the USB sticks as needed.

You might be best served with a multiFX pedal. It sounds like you have given up on modeling (profiling) and could just sell your KPA and go old school. I believe you haven't found the right monitoring solution or you wouldn't be considering this. Unfortunately, that's why FRFR modeling solutions aren't for everyone. The KPA sounds better than an amp and can sound like ANY amp unlike a traditional setup....but it does require an adjustment to the player's ear and the monitoring gear. Not something every player is willing to work through. Good luck in your tone quest!

Bump! I find it hard to believe nobody else needs MIDI transmit to outboard gear?

THIS!

Would just need the KPA to have the ability to send user defined MIDI message to the MIDI Out every time a rig is changed.

This is so fundamental that it would create a riot if removed from other competitive modelers. Yes, the KPA sounds awesome but let's not leave out the basics!

please at least read the manual before requesting features that have been implemented since day one. :P

"Delay/Reverb Balance
    “Delay/Reverb Balance” is a unique parameter that allows continuous control over the routing of the delay and reverb."

Don,

Good point. I'm aware of the Delay/Reverb Balance. That's an example of what would be nice throughout the slot architecture instead of being hard coded to post amp delay and reverb. Take a look at Roland's chain editor in their modelers. The effects are programmed normally but the signal chain can then be arranged from input to output in any order you like. I do like the series/parallel aspect in the delay/reverb balance...very nice.

The routing is extremely limited and rigid compared to other devices. Just because the "slots" are hard coded doesn't men they have to always route that way. Its a DSP based CPU and signals could be routed any way they like...but they don't allow it.

I would like to see extra "virtual slots" with a virtual route/insert selector that lists ALL the possible locations pre and post.

Perhaps planning your approach to a song ahead of time would serve you best. In your example, a 3rd slot would have the clean with stomps applied already.

I don't know of any modeling pedal that works like you want...other than the KPA prior to the latest updates.

I, like you, can see some value in slots retaining temporary changes until a new performance is selected.

At what ohm load is the KPA rated to 600w? It may be that your real amp is rated to that speaker and the KPA needs a different load. A 2x12 cab can be easily rewired series or parallel to change the load rating.

bd