Posts by musicman65

That would only allow 4 octaves x 12 notes = 48 PC numbers. Would work for some. Now if you could select 0-12 first then 0-9 next, you could do the full 128. Or select Bank then Slot for Performance Mode.

Interesting idea but I'm not sure it would work well for mid-song changes where you can't stop playing.

bd

Just wait for KPA Firmware 3.0 .... :D

Is there a secret hexaphonic input and 5 extra A/D paths hidden in the KPA??? LOL!

Seriously, the KPA isn't the right architecture to ever do polyphonic pitch to MIDI. The Roland VG99 is still the best game in town for hexaphonic guitar...and does pitch to MIDI 90% as well east the FTP. That's why I run a VG99 as a front end to the KPA...best of both worlds.

Now if CK had partnered with FTP's creator, Andras Szalay (also creator of Axon), THAT would have been a nice product!

bd

Oh YEAH!
    Pulleeze put Roland out of the guitar/synth business!

How would CK making the Virus a 6 channel multitimbral device put Roland out of business? There are MANY excellent rack synths that are well suited for Guitar to MIDI rigs.

Now if CK would like to make a better Guitar to MIDI mousetrap, I'm ready to jump ship from Roland. The Triple Play doesn't measure up for my needs yet...I'm a bit disappointed.

bd

I can't see where it would hurt. It may result in the amp being eq'd to produce peaks in the same range as the guitar. You could capo to a particular fret to raise/lower the resonant frequency and play with the amount of damping. It may do nothing but would be easy to find out.

bd

• technically tubeamps are the same as loud as solid state amps.
    • musically they are stronger because: 1) as Scott Grove mentioned they often are fitted with better speakers and 2) they still sound good in the clipping range. So we can turn them up louder before the clipping sounds ugly.

#1 is very true. I'm not sure "better" speakers are fitted to tube amps. More efficient guitar speakers with limited and focused frequency response are much louder than a speaker designed to produce a more full range flat response.

#2 is a big reason. It also depends on the % of distortion at rated output. A tube amp rated at a lower distortion has a huge headroom to turn up more. A SS amp, once it clips, is done...louder sounds really bad!

bd

Just read your link. I agree with him but he didn't address the the needs of modeler users in his various examples

The author rightly states that it takes 10 times the power to increase the volume noticeably with all other factors being equal. This is the exact reason a solid state amp needs to be oversized. You can't run an SS amp into saturation without creating square waves and ugly harmonics so you need extra headroom to avoid this.

For the SS amp to cleanly reproduce the KPA's output at the volume equivalent to a 50w tube amp, you can't use a 50w SS amp because any noticeable peak will clip the amp. A 500w amp will have the headroom to avoid this. This is based on the articles conclusion that a 10 times more powerful amp is only noticeably louder.

This is no big secret. I use a 500w SS amp and can drive it to clip at volumes equivalent to a cranked 50w tube stack. Others use powered PA cabs with 1000w ratings. Even the powered KPA uses a 600w amp. Speaker efficiency plays into this equation as well. FRFR speakers are less efficient, guitar speakers are more efficient.

Perhaps the 100w Class D amp you are using is really rated at 500w peak to allow additional headroom to avoid clipping?

Sorry if this is overly technical. I'm an electrical engineer so my explanation might be nerdy but does agree with your reference link when applied to FRFR operation.

bd

In my experience, a 100w RMS Solid State amp is equivalent to a 20w tube amp. The solid state amp will clip or limit on peaks and change the tone/volume when pushed. Most of us are using 500w or more for stage use.

Perhaps this amp is de-rated to provide high peak output?

bd

The internal resistance of a crappy battery causes a voltage sag under load. This creates a stronger attack with slight sag on sustain.....or other nonlinear issues depending on the effect.

A "stiff" supply has no (or minimal) sag within its rated current output range. Running a fairly low ohm resistor in series with the output simulates the same condition as a crappy battery if anyone wants to experiment.

bd

That happened to me one time, I posted a few profiles and before I knew it someone voted 5 stars for each profile.

Same here. It was early in in the Rig Exchange history so there weren't as many profiles. Someone 5 starred mine...saw it when I went back to edit the tags.

bd

What are the possible ways to mute the left or the right channel in a rig ?

Are you using both L and R outputs? If so, when you only use one side for signal, you are cutting half the stereo pair. You would want to set the output to mono for sure. Not sure how this is done as I run normal stereo which is the default.

I can't think of a way to internally cut the volume on one side. A A/B switch box can be put inline with the output. Someone else might know of a better way.

bd

I believe the Kemper is rated to drive a lower ohm load for max output. Tube amps can drive 8 and even 16 ohm cabs. If the cab was a higher ohm rating, the Kemper's amp output will be limited to half or even a quarter of its rating.

The good news is that a 4x12 cab can be rewired to have a lower ohm rating. 500w or more of solid state power into the proper rated load should produce volumes similar to a 100w tube head.

I'm sure someone else can give you the power and load specs on the KPA power amp.

bd

This is exactly what confuses me, why with all this incredible technology available can't someone produce a powered PA speaker that sounds like a much bigger version of a Studio Monitor?
    The Kemper sounds fantastic even through the cheapest POS studio monitors.

I think if you put a studio monitor in a room like a PA speaker would be used, it would not be as nice sounding. Studio Monitors are also called "Near Field Monitors". The sweet spot is close up. PA Speakers are "long throw" speakers. Perhaps someone else can explain the differences better.

bd

You are on the right track. FRFR is the way to go....by design of the maker. Running a real cab with "cab off" is a transitional feature for those who just can't make the leap to FRFR. You will never realize the full capability of the KPA running a through a guitar cab.

Close your eyes and jump on in, the water's fine!

bd

Also, never use a hot link in an email to open a webpage. I've seen emails that look official that want me to click a link and go fill something out. NO WAY! The page that comes up looks official but close examination of the address reveals it is a spoof site.

Be smart, be careful!

bd

Ok. Figured it out. The login is NOT the registered email address like on the web-based forum. Its the forum profile name...Musicman65 in my case. The password is still the same.

bd