Posts by and44

Well you can capture long reverb halls/stadiums all day long. up to 15 secs or more if you want. - But by the time you deconvolve them into an IR.. no processor will run them. (you can run them on your Computer ofc) but only 1.. and that is even painfully sluggish.

You may then say.. AH yes.. but there are tons of plugins out there that do reverb for longer.. Yes.. see its clever trickery.. often they will use a VERY Small IR (maybe the first second, just to get the base tone/spectrum) then the rest is done in code realtime.. : )

an yes Im 100% confident the kemper cant do it due to processor power.There is not a single unit out there that can

3 secs is still not enough to capture the heart & soul of Amb/room mics in a good room. on our tests we did the best results were about 6 secs or more. this was a very true lifelike "static" snap of the room.

There is an opportunity for Kemper to support capturing (or importing) reverb IR's and use them in the reverb module though.

No you cant.

See the logic is, that, actually lets call it a "iR" for this illustration, The speaker element would be the one capturing the ROOM mics. - because they are at a greater distance it would require a longer sample. longer IR samples are very heavy on processing. evn modern day modules such as Briscati M7 reverb unit cant cope with he long IR information capture time it will take. Convolution is only ever OK at best. and to be used lightly.

Many other guitar based units emulate room sound via a verb algorithm of some kind, and this will never work.. sure to the person who never has used room mics correctly wont be able to tell the difference.

But imagine the scenario of what your suggesting. - ROOm mics, plus close mics. all on the same sample. - thats 2 lots of information it has to capture at 2 different latency times. to compute this in real-time is not cost effective in any way shape or form. you would need several processors to be able to handle it.

Maybe in the future we will see this. - but currently the longest ever IR is 200/250ms in any processor based equipment. - and to capture a true sound imagine of correct room your looking at well over 500ms.

While I agree the Kemper is King of the Hill.. really it is for pure authentic guitar tones, it still has its limitations. I use the kemper a lot in my studio, but I still use real amps depending on the band Im recording and what the target is.

Room/amb mics will offer a delayed signal in reality. - thus giving a depth perspective into a recording, this is true if you blend with close mics to hear the offset.

With profiling, and the way the profiler works the algorithms, it has to zero time align its signal. thus eliminating the "Space" between signal and ambience, so while you can get the "effect" of the signal, but you wont get the "detail or depth" of the original signal.

Room mics is not a reverb, and cannot or ever will be achived with reverb algorithms.- room mics are very unique & fundamental part of recording. and of course, the room your in is the biggest thing of all!.

So in a nutshell, nope it cant do it. it can emulate the sonic spectrum, but cant actually give you that "roomy" airy sound you will get from a large mic live room setup.

spent the day with 5150/EVH, really nice. this is gonna be the future of profiling

Well there certainly is no limit when it comes to creativity in music, profiling is sort of the same. - so yeah. maybe it is: )

So happy your having some enjoyment!..

Thanks. - It was a pleasure to do. - Ive had some amazing feedback via email, so thanks guys for that,
    And i hope you all enjoy them, and using them to be creative with!

best
    A

Might be just muscle trapness (there is a word for that but I have no idea sorry)3 days playing when your not used to it.. is gonna put some strain on you,.

I had a scare a few years back. where my inner thigh, outter leg was complete numb.. was like it for about a week. No idea why, its fine now and has been for several years, thankfully that was a one off. but I rekon it was a trapped nerve.. might be what you are going through perhaps?? No idea.

Drink lots of smoothies! :)

That´s a great idea, Andy ! I will surely check the profiles out and I can imagine that they were tough to set up right.

Actually, this is what I was hoping Kemper would offer with the KPA instead of more gadgetry: dual profiles (mixable via expression pedal) ... and the option to mix the dry and wet sound via expression pedal (which my Johnson Millenium JM-150 amp could do in 1992) ... oh well, I am only dreaming ;)^^

Yeah the setup was the worst..lots of "micro" adjustments were needed, - then of course how to place the mics.. do you want Bleed from both, or 2 mic separate in isolation, what will sound best at board, and more importantly what will profile better. - so Many decisions, and lots of testing took us this far. : )

Because I know the amps very well I can really hear each tonal signature from each amp inside one profile. - and you would too IF you were here on the profiling session.

But one again, the Kemper has shown its strength!.

Its clear when you get the profiles.. or at least the best I can.. sometimes there is not enough spoace for one amp let alone two! : )

But in a nutshell!.

Vox/ToneKing, Marshall/Mesa, EVH5150/Mesa, Cornell/Rivera, Redplate/EvilRobot, Fuchs/TwoRock Redplate/Cornell H&K/Blackstar...

yes. they are blended (if you follow me on Instagram) then you will see what I been up too. - Basically, 2 amps were setup in live room, along with an array of mics for ultimate mixdown selection.

In the control room, I found the best mics to work with the double signals best. Often in a fig of 8 pattern or Moving air from certain distance. often using more than 3 or 4 mics to capture the movement correctly. so was pretty tough and attention to detail was important. The hardest ofd all obv was geting phase right between amps and close/far mics.

I had to make sure the kemper could understand the signal coming back in. so I needed to chose amps tat had a simular gain structire (not sound) but structure. - this enabled me to easy blend them, and get consitant accurate profiles. - PAIN staking. and tedius setup work. but its something new, and a big fat tone to proove it : )

And some big fat demos coming soon too! : )

BAH!.. its actually DUAL amps... but never-mind that now.. realised after I did it the press packs lolz....

Anyway. Please appreciate this new miniBundle OUT now!. - Exciting and some earthy great vibes to be had.

Enjoy all! : )

@and44 tried to register on your website , i choose a password but when trying to put it then it dint recognised it. and now i get a message saying "you IP has been locked out"!!!! (thats pretty annoying ........so whats gona happen now, will I be locked out forever?

Heya

nope you wont I will fix this for you. - Our security sometimes gets a bit intense after the recent events on our website from Internet theifs.
    Please send me a PM with your username/email address and I will see to it.

Thanks, and sorry for the hassle.

Hi Andy. Is there any info on some of the pedals that you used on some of your profiles? For example, I picked up the JCM800 Hot Mod, which is stellar by the way, and some of the pedals are designated with a two letter acronym. Some of them are obvious but some not so much. To me anyways! I'm sure once you say what they are it would be an "of course!" moment for me. :)

Of course no problem.. as im not in studio currently, these are all the ones I remember of top of head. so some of these may apply to those rigs you have., :-

TS=Tubescreamer
    WL=Whitelight Overdrive
    RED=HoneyRed Overdrive
    MUFF=BigMuff
    DM=Darkmatter OD
    ZEN=Zendrive
    BP=BrownPig Overdrive
    TIM=Timmy Overdrive
    KLON=KLON
    ZIG=Ziggy OD

Thats all I remember.. shout me if I missed any : )

Thanks to you all, we have been going for this time, and its all community driven, so thanks for all the work you provided me with!.

It has been a pleasure & honour is dealing with you guys. - thanks!, and I will continue to better myself through the next 5!

As a thankyou, Im doing a 50% off for a few days. - so take advantage whilst you can..

Respect.. & my HAT off to one and all.

Interesting! Do you filter either of the mics (eg. mostly top end from one, low end from another)? And how did you dial in the amps to compliment each other, in this case (just out of curiosity)?

Well its a 3 mic setup. but its not that simple.. the Royer is the "sound" mic that you hear both amps hitting at the same time. (Phase is important here too)... anyway.. the R14 is a Fig8 mic, so its capturing the sound in different direction hence why the amps are angled slightly inwards.

The rear mic is a condenser mic capturing nothing but room ambience as well as the crossover lows from the rear.

The mics were not treated, as no EQ was used. just the EQ on the amps.

The amps were setup to be a simular gain structure (important else this wont work), but the amps tonestack are reversed from each other, so one amp has all lows and other has none.. one has more treble etc etc. - once you figure out what amp sounds best at what settings (its all about that) then its good to go.

Its like Amp designing in a way this is.. albeit on a really basic level. but you can get a real nice guitar texture this way. just sounds more for-filling to me.

What will never work is if one amp has a clean sound an another with gain.. the kemper will confuse itself., but otherwise yeah.. no limits here just lots of moving amps and testing really.

But the purpose of all this is to make 2 amps sound like one big amp just for the profiler to understand, and now I know this its easier to deal with.

Anwyay.. thats that really!

Ok well the test was this..

Sorry I dont have the picture on my drive but posted it on my instagram

The difference between the TEST & TESTALT versions is the Rear Mic (see pic you will see it just)

The profiles are duel captured, 2 amps, 2 signal chains merged into one at the neve desk.

Worked so well. that Ive been exploring options and will be doing a duel-even treble amp pack.. there is a LOT more setup work, but you can get some nice custom tones for sure, and sometimes it fills in the gaps. where a single amp is missing.

When tracking bands that use multi amps its always a success, so why cant it be that way on the kemper.... sure there are a few limitations but noting to much to worry about.

Peace