Posts by hoth

Really happy to follow this thread and your progression from Kemper baby to full grown man. I also am a former Axe Standard and II user. I have nothing but respect for the Axe and what Cliff has created. But these days the KPA is my goto. It just works. Period. I was a bit frustrated with some things at first because I was stuck in the Axe paradigm. Once I let go of the tweaking and realized good tone did not require the complexity of the Axe patches I was building, it just clicked.

I have at least 100 profiles that I love. Not just dig, but LOVE. There are another few hundred that are just plain superb. A lot of them come from And44 but lots also come from regular old folks just posting free amps on the exchange. The KPA is a great box with a great community and team behind it. I wish you lots of luck on your journey.

Thanks for the advice CK. I think I am just used to listening to dark Mesa amps so the FRFR Adam A10x and headphones I use sound bright for what my ear is used to. The headphone out is not a big deal for me so I am happy to continue keeping my workflow the way it is. Small quibble in the long run. I appreciate you trying to help.

Hmmmm. I had a Carr Mercury for a while that I swapped a Celestion Blue into. It was a beautiful and pure sounding amp that had a beautiful rounded fender-like tone. You may not be able to exactly get that sound without a good profile of the amp but you should be able to get a round or even chimey fender sound from lots of profiles.

Have you tried a general system reset (hold system button on startup) just to make sure all settings are default and have you tried some of the better profiles out there with cabs such as Tills'?

I'm a newbe and using a pair of JBL LSR4326P monitors. Sound is pretty good with some guitars, esp. L.P.'s but can be quite fizzy and lacking mids for the most part. Doesn't sound close to my Carr Mercury.
    Headphones are better but still not even close to the sound I get from the Merc.

First question is since you are playing through monitors are you sure you have cabs turned on for whatever output you are using? No cab on would likley mean fizzy and no mids through a monitor. Also, I find for me, I have to turn the presence and treble down a lot to get the sound I like out of my monitors and headphones. Don't be afraid to play with that EQ. The KPA has powerful EQ that you can use extreme settings with and it will still sound good.

Do you have to drop the treble as well, when you listen to the main or monitor output through a PA or monitor speaker?

I do drop the treble a lot when listening on PA and monitors. That is why I need to have an EQ on the headphone.

I have "professional" pairs of headphones and in fact have many of them so its not headphone quality. How do you use the headphone out without the ability to EQ? Are you EQ'ing every profile individually for headphone listening?

Hoth,

The headphone output of your mixer delivers roughly the same signal to your headphones as our headphone output.
    But there you have the ability to eq it individually. Is this correct?

Yes, exactly. The sound I get through my mini mackie mixer from the monitor out is so good in headphones, would love to have that same sound through the headphone output. I need to be able to drop the treble a lot in the headphone out which I cannot do at the moment.

In 30 years I haven't seen a single device with a dedicated EQ for the headphone outputs.
    Why should the Profiler be the first exception?

CK, We can agree to disagree but as it stands, the headphone out is unusable. I have a workaround which I am happy with, but others may not be ok with losing their monitor out. I think the headphone out should be taken from the last thing in the signal chain from the main outs. As such, since the main outs have EQ, the headphone out would have that EQ.

surprises me that you arent happy with the headphone sound,it should be sounding great,maybe try out some different ones.

The problem for me is that you can't EQ the headphone out. That makes it unusable as a direct out. That's why I plug my headphones into a mixer connected to the monitor out. Not really sure what the headphone out is supposed to be without the ability to EQ. I have been posting about this for months now.

Two things: 1. you may want to update to 1.1.1 since I think there were enhancements to the monitor out; and 2. did you change the EQ in the right section, i.e., monitor EQ section and not main out EQ section. Also, I take my monitor out signal for headphones (since I cannot get the headphone out to sound good) into a little Mackie mixer which then sounds awesome. You might want to try this mini mixer approach and see if that helps.

Great move. I already own all your bundles so I can testify to their quality, but I think this opens up different paths for others to get into your stuff in a way that makes sense for them. :thumbup:

You keep outdoing yourself. I have never been a fanboi in the past for anything, but the KPA with your packs is just mind blowing. The only problem with this pack is that (you released it while I was on vacation but really...) I keep getting stuck on one or two profiles for hours and can't get through all the 250+ amazing profiles!

You have superb ears and I am happy to pay what you are charging to get the benefit of those ears for these beautiful sounding profiles. Also, you capture the feel of the amp in your profiles which not everyone does.

I usually have one or two favorite amps that I list that are real standouts from each pack, but I was about to list like 6 or 7 amps from this pack. Mindblowing.

All in all, I I cannot recommend this pack highly enough! :thumbup:

I can't say I am a big fan of the old school hot-rodded Marshall sound so I downloaded these a while ago, played them a bit, then let them sit and marinate. Tonight, I am having a love affair with the Atomica. I am having success getting good definition out of it as well as the ridiculous level of distortion. Everytime I think I am done with new profiles you guys just drag. me. back. in. Ugh!!!!!!

Love you guys and your mad scientist/vintage/one-of-a-kind amps that I would never have gotten a chance to ever play had it not been for the KPA!

You're probably right Christoph (or is everybody in holiday). I personally never had any issue of this kind, out of making a system cache reset at the very beginning to get the monitor out to work (with the very old FW). I also had corrupted rigs and I just deleted them, but my Kemper keep sounding as good as day 1 (actually better with all the upgrades). Some user have managed in the past to borck their units and re-installing the FW resolved the issue but that's all...

I had some issues initially in the first few firmwares and thought it would be good to try the reformat procedure. Primarily I was having the warbling/alien sound on the high strings. Boy was I wrong. It was foolish in retrospect and the issues seemed to have been resolved with firmware updates and just doing system resets rather than reformats. I think CK is right to downplay the utility of a reformat. My KPA actually sounds better than day 1 because of the firmware upgrades and learning how to dial it in :).

I went for the bundle last night. I think encouraging people who are doing good profiles with more exotic amps is a very good thing. I hope I have some time to go though them this weekend! 8o

+1 Very sensible thinking. I have the full pack and find the profiles to be very good and you receive a lot of different profiles for each amp along with modded/tweaked profiles so you get a very good representation of the amp.