Posts by waraba

My jazzbox guitar just had an upgrade with some hand-wound pickups ( by my fantastic Luthier Jan Degtiarev).

I shot this test drive track using it and a cool little CP 80 chord progression written on the fly.

Jazz suit

Jazz bass on SWR amp kemper profiles .

Jazzbox ( the left one on the pic) on my own mesa boogie profiles, perfect match so far :)

Here is a collapsology themed track, starring Lee Rice & Alexandra on the vocals.

Atmos (The Final Call)

this time, I started from a cool bassline and pads made with ionosphere reverbs to dramatize the mood.

Some fine ears will recognize Alan Parsons influences on both instrumentation & mix.

Text from Lee Rice , spoken word by Allan Watts

I did the music, bass, guitars , pads and mix.

Guitars : strat & Ibanez artist semi hollow on P90 , kemper profiling amp ( boogie profiles, ionosphere pads). N21 fuzz pedal

Bass : MIJ Jazz bass on kemper ( ampeg profiles )

Vocals recorded on Rodes NT for Lee

Mixed on reaper with the help of Waves plugins

Beautiful Renaud, I thought Larry Carlton sat in for Gilmour.

Many thx Mud, I wouldn't dare comparing myself to these masters :)

I'm bound to equip myself with a lap steel with all these floyd tracks , I'm more & more into tonebars parts, much easier for me than slide.

I just put a new version online, proper end and better arranged to me, with some of my best tones so far.

I'm proud of this one as I took 15 days learning harmonies and chords to improve my writing skills.

same link

R

Hi , I'm on mid holidays , but I managed to work on a new track ...

Floydesque erratics

It's a work in progress song. I fount the tones to be very sexy and the whole arrangement not so bad :) & sorry for the abrupt end

Keys are waves CP80 on chorus. Jazz bass on ampeg profiles ( bass rig pack ) . Strat on vintage 62 fender TJ profile and a tad of big muff ( real stuff)

See ya & have a nice summer.

You're getting deeper and deeper Renaud,

Thx Mud' , Unknown has 5 stereo layers of guitar on some parts , naturally doubled that makes 10 tracks on the guitar alone , but with the right profiles and post EQ presets on my DAW that was easy to mix, thx to glorious KPA clarity and usage of P90.

And yeah, not a single synth or VST on these tracks , all pads are ionosphere :)

Hi, I've been super busy recording some tracks with my singer Lee Rice and we're still working the vocals out.

Anyway all instruments went thru KPA & I made large use of the ionosphere verbs on these atmospheric tracks ( choirs tones and pads )

Supro profiles ( rigex ones ) also got lots of usage here.

Enjoy !

Unknown

Atmos

All of these are inexpensive instruments , under 300€ : the hofner is a good asian make (2nd hand) and not the original , but the feel & tone is there. The folk was a trade with a sub 250€ non piezzo vintage yamaha folk.

I used amp compression only (from the amp profile param) , and a slight tad of chorus on my track, but I had to play it right not to sound piezzo plastic.

I have to buy Bert acoustic pack to explore new tones on my folk, I'm pretty sure that bert's experience in making his acoustic profiles is invaluable .

but you're right , to make the hofner sound 60's it's more of a playing style and choice of profile, I remember muting the strings with my left hand while playing the bass.

I use the Kemper mainly because of it's spdif out.

My folk also has an internal fishman , so it's pretty plug and play for me , very convenient, no need to mike. I used to hate piezo tones heard on records & live , but it turned out really great on my KPA.

I use most only console preamp like you do ( UAD , neve , chandler and baldringer profiles ) for folk , voices , bass

slight compression and great verbs , noise gate all these come from KPA.

A demo of my folk tone with the balringer here ( comp, verb, natural doubling )

regarding the bass, we have similar tastes I guess, I bought the Hofner for it's Air & 60's Gainsbourg tones ;) . I can confirm that using the right bass gives you that vintage feel & tone , but note that I also use wound strings.

set the level on the boost as low as possible and adjust clean & dist sense , save the input preset and store it for next time you plug the boost

remember that input settings can be saved on a rig , or locked for all rigs.

you could also use the dist loop stomp and adjust the internal setting once you've put the suhh into a record send loop