Posts by waraba

You should borrow a X3 instead of buying it, the profiling itself will take less than 5 min. once you get used to the process.

I'm also pretty sure someone from the community can profile it for you once you've sent the x3 pacthes.

short answer is 'no way'

long answer is 'similar FXes' but with lots of tweaks, there are some great patches around from Bill Ruppert and Paults, on the rig exchange , and some dedicated threads on the forum.

FYI I've also done a 'clavinet' patch for free on the R.E., but looong time ago

R

some hi gain profiles may sound similar, but that's obvious for me since the level of compression at hi gain level even the dynamics & tone , that's why I never play very hi gain stuff.

some cleans or driven tones might be a little bit similar but it's due to the fact that amp real models are based on similar designs & tube types, but hopefully with lots of variations in the profiling itself.

The only time I was shocked by the lack of difference between profiles was the time when I forgot I had a CAB locked.

easy done : turn every hi gain amp profile up in gain , with mids up & add a dist stomp in slot A then a delay and you're 99% done.

there is a great kerry king JCM800 rig collection here, done by Hell-G

The solo is double tracked and post EQed , I'm pretty sure isolated tracks might sound very thin on their own, which is somewhat difficult to do on a kemper since it always sounds huge & fat for me.

some news :

• JessieM (JCM800 preamp) : still in ' work in progress' state but lots of preview clips available here
    • I still have to profile the mesa boogie quad preamp in all extents, but I won't produce much more after these sessions since I'll have all the tones I will ever need eventually. Doing more may be counter productive since there would be lots of overlapping and redundancy.
    • I'd maybe like to do the bogner Fish, but they are really hard to find and pretty expensive, if a user here owns one and is OK for a rent/lent, let me know.

Hi, in order to clarify the way I work my profiles & rigs, I've written a short text to explain my approach.

Fell free to discuss here or in the other third party section.

Valve theory Manifesto

My aim is to produce rigs and profiles that really match the feeling you get while plugin classic guitars into a quality tube amp. the tone that happens when dialling the right settings to match your guitars and it's pickups is a pretty unique alchemy, this is the tone quest I had in head while I profiled my gear and designed my tones.

My approach is tone based and not gear based, I prefer profiling with preamps in order to remove the miking out my practises. Instead, I use direct profiling & my favorite personal cabs, that I know very well and have a very wide range of ground covered. Some merging occurs on lots of profiles, since it turned out much more musical than the simple CAB matching. (I know it's not the original merging purpose, but I only care about the tone and not the purpose itself !). Note that sometimes, differents rigs are based on the same direct profile, since it was the best away to achieve the tone I had in my head.

You'll just have to pick up your strat,tele , Lespaul or 335, dial the RIGHT profiles matched for them, and play ! Most of my profiles are pickup matched & were made to suit a particular context , clean, crunch , drive, lead ... They are still tweakable in all extents to go even further if needed. They also overlap each other to get everything covered with smooth transitions. Some profiles also have such a good gain range that they are somewhat sufficient by themselves as a single profile for the guitarist that only uses the guitar vol pot to change his tone.

I arranged most of the profiles to pickup types, in order to get the best tone for a given pickup mounting. That does not mean that it won't sound good on another type of pickups, but it's maybe not the best tone you'll get out of my packs. The comments in the tags refer to the alternative pickups that can be used on a given profile. There is an ovelap in terms of pickups since P90 will behave right on both SC and HB profiles, and also on hollowbody pack. Hollow pack rigs will also behave right on both SC & HB pickups. SC and HB packs are the most pickup dependant packs I've done, and are best used with the respective pickups.

Regarding the amp tones, I mainly aim to classic rock styles 60's 70's 80's & 90's era , but also blues, jazz, pop and all electric styles. They gravitate in the Fender, Marshall & Boogie territory mainly, as they are the basis for all other amps made after.

I hope you'll enjoy my approach, it's specific, but I'm sure not being the only one with this logic in mind. Strat & Les Paul , a cool P90 Hollow and my rig collection , it's more than enough to write & record dozens of tracks at the speed of light.

Man what a blast you'd have with all these gibsons, not too late to find a good one and enjoy a fat marshall with it.

vey nice story , it seems you're now a fullygrown guitarist ;)

I always stayed away from super hot & active pickups, and also from HSS stuff in the 80's because of the lack of feeling and interactions I had with all these hi gain guitars.

The telecaster is indeed a great instrument , very versatile and so dynamic , a real pleasure to play & record. All you need is a good amp profile. with a few vol or tone pot tweaks you'll be able to play almost every style of music. I tend to go for fender & supros on the tele, but it can also do wonders on classic marshalls.

you'll love the strat if you can find a good one , such a killer guitar and that unmistakable vibe. I also recommend a good Lespaul like or an hollow like the 335 or ES 125; If I had to keep 4 guitars , that would be my definitive list ( and My KPA of course ;)

Hi, I think they are worth it , there is tons of excellent rigs on R.E but a commercial pack is somewhat better in terms of professionalism , with equal levels between the rigs and EQ balanced , but also with proper tagging & naming.

excellent cover, my favorite instrumental from the big M. that must be lots of work :o

If I can give an advice, I'll tell you to redo the bass , it's badly out of tune from 3:50 , it partially ruins the great work done on other parts to me.

I was thinking about this feature yesterday evening while recording !!!

but it would be better for my workflow to enhance the KPA's UNDO function in order it goes back into the history of profiles too , it's now limited to parameters changes, but not to rig switching.

Let me explain better :

I record a rhythm track on a rhythm profile , with a few tweaks on this profile , then I switch to a lead rig to record a few solo phrases, then I think to myself : that would be great to enhance the rhythm track with a few variations, I then have to switch again to my rhythm profile and redo to tweaks (by hand), context is loss !

going back and forth from solo to rhythm is a bit unhandy. I don't want to store new variations or snapshots of my profiles , I just don't want to lose the minor tweaks I tweaks I do while going back and forth from solo to rhythm.