Posts by waraba

Yeah 'paper ' bass is still better than a midi bass , I plan to buy a real precision bass like a squier for this purpose and also for Jams when friends come at home. I will check my bass rigs tonite and send them to you.

I also agree with moving to another song if this process is too long : while you're spending lots of time to make it sound good you'll probably have written another song from scratch.

I have not tried Jamstix for now, but the demo sound very realistic on their website. I have a similar system on my computer, it's great for jamming / writing demos.

See you & enjoy . I see recording music as a big fun and creative activity , if it gets boring I often give up and start a new track.

R

Hi Geraldo, I've to listen again to the guitar parts to help you but anyway here are some more hints :

You should give up with the midi bass and grab a single coil guitar ,as a guitarist you can easily play this instrument that has 2 strings less , the opposite is not true :D . I'm not a bassist but I often add very simple bassline played on my strat or tele with a fender profile. I can send you a bass rig if needed. Here is my method : dial up a clean profile set the harmonizer to -12 or -1 octave ( harmonizers tracks better than the transpose for me ) EQ the highs down and actually play those bass parts and feel like Jaco Pastorius ( I play those parts without pick, try to play fewer notes than on guitar and give some groove ).

Lsiten to these bassline examples , much more musical & fun to play to me than a midi bass and took like 5 minutes to record ( https://soundcloud.com/waraba/jazzbox-vs-drz & https://soundcloud.com/waraba/sitar-hero-v2 )

Regarding the double tracking I prefer playing another track instead of simply pasting & reamping a single track , it sounds more musical to me. About the sound it's better if the 2 tracks have really different tones ( Les Paul + strat , Jazzbox + tele ) It's mainly a matter of 'contrast' , pan & EQ , the objective is to hear like 2 different guitarists like you can hear them on a stage. Rigs can be the same or not, the guitar will make the differences.

You should wait for your keyboardist , he will arrange the whole song and new ideas will show up as the track gets more elaborate since you'll have more harmonies to stand on.

Remember to leave some room for the singer and you solos.

I agree with Jamstix , it will feel and sound more realistic if you use it on your track.

Yeah cool track , really dig the clean part and the end solo, sounds very full. The intro & theme chords lack a bit of palm muting attack to me ( si je puis me permettre hein !! )

thx for sharing

Hi Geraldo , thx for sharing ! the main vintage classic rock riff sounds great to me.

Allow me some hints : this is a personal point of view you may not agree at all since I'm not sure about your intentions here.

The snare is too bright for me ( it's a matter of taste I know !) I would have chosen a mellower one and a different verb.

The bassline is too much in the background.

You should redo the double track with different guitar or tone in order to get the left one more clean & brilliant ( a strat or tele with a crunch tone). Or better Double track the main riff on both L/R sides and add some cleaner chords fills ( center or extreme L/R )

You should add some background fills ( Hammond or organic bass synth line ). I did several tracks with a 35€ monotron that sounds very rich regarding the sound textures. This is great addition to ambiance and chordal/melodic foundation. Vst synths are OK for this purpose.

Add a solo with a more beefier tone and some FXs like delay to make a fresh sounding part somewhere in you track.

Keep it up with recording this is a great experience !

Renaud.

Hello David , this is a brilliant work you've done, I've listened the whole album twice and really dig the fusion tone and impressive dexterity you show. That thinline looks like a joy to play isn't it ??

The production sounds very pro to me with lots of room & space. There is a great diversity in guitar tones , i liked most of them it's not that usual to hear this Holdsworth kind of tone so well crafted played and recorded ( wow so many solos).

The first title reminds me a James Bond like theme , would be great on a movie's main title.

Only drawback is the lack of a singer on a few titles ( A Ronny James Dio like singer would have been great).

Keep it up with these great recording.

Renaud.

Too bad you removed the link Lance, I only had the chance to listen to it once before going to a kemper less vacation :( As far as I remember I loved it , super fluid P90 tone.

There is a bit of lack of feedback regarding solo recordings on this forum , this is a bit sad for all the great artists that put all this positive energy & heart into their recordings , a little comment (as well as constructive critics ) are always heart warming for creators.

I hope you get these links back , I have to buy this EP for further listening :)

Renaud.

A really Serious & pro pack , very tied to the studio owner way of working. I took the time to test the Fender D'luxe and The 59' bassman with great results , I had to tweak extensively and try several cabs ( 2x10 open , closed ...) to fit different guitars & styles , but it's really worth it, I could save 3 great rigs for strat , tele & Jazz box out of it.

Thnaks to FP & kemper Team for providing the pack :)

Is The Sunn a bass amp ?

Yes the morgan is a killer one, such as the cream JTA 45(old one = CREAM-JTA-45 ) by Geraldo , cleans up sooo well and a great workhorse that fits almost all styles.

Also have a look at my JTM30 if you like twang ( Marshall jtm 30 2x10 WarabA check the link in my sign. ) : one profile for Les Paul & one for single coils, very versatile, the gain course is also great ( much better than the original amp !!).

Ecoute un peu mes compos sur soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/waraba/charibde-scylla , celle là c'est du 100% JTM maison , du clean cristallin à l'OD bien gras :P

R.

Thx for your comments on my tone Diego ! This was my 1st actual recording of this Box . I went to several rigs and finally nailed a good tone out of DrZ28 amps and also D'lux cactus ( a factory rig ) with some tweaks ( Freq shifting on cab ) , I did swap the cabs to some very good fans and 2x10 open cabs as far as I remember. That beast is huge but the neck is really good, I like the challenge of making a good tone out of it ( mostly fender amps ) I have to try the goldie and other really vintage amps.

I almost never use compression , I guess this rich sound comes out of the wood actually.

Hi Diego, I just recorded a demo out of DrZ28 amp with a L5 copy ( 80's Washburn JS6 ) it's quite difficult not to sound boomy on those Hollowbodies, much richer than the average solid bodies ....

There is no compensation on the bridge like on the variax so I cannot achieve Ted Nugent overdrive yet because of the incorrect intonation between the headstock and middle of the neck !!

I got a long way to match your clean & jazzy playing :D really cool demo, thx Did you play it without pick ?