Posts by benvdd

Not yet "released", just announced.
    Shipping will start end of March, so they're probably busy to ramp up production now. :)

Cheers,
    martin

ok, should have said "no longer under development", thanks :D

I've used the KPA through the poweramp of dual rec into a Mesa 4x12 (monitor cab off of course).
    Worked fine, although I get better results with the Matrix GT1000FX I have now. The dual rec will color the sound, so testing your patches before you go on tour seems advisable.

Just got back from the rehearsal space to give the CFR12s a spin.
    For the record, signal chain = KPA > Matrix GT1000FX > Matrix CFR12s

First impressions (compared to an oversized Mesa 4x12 cab):

1) Despite their size, they sound wider and "bigger" than the cab, most likely due to the wider dispersion field (and there's 2 of them of course...)

2) I played together with a drummer at rehearsal volume with the GT1000FX at about 40% (levels in the KPA were set at 0dB). They pack more than enough punch.

3) I didn't do any tweaking beforehand, just plugged the new speakers in the main outs (instead of the monitor out I used before) and it did sound fine. After fiddling with mainly EQ and some of the deeper amp and cab settings it sounded great! The changes mainly involved undoing the tweaks that were required to make the Mesa cab sound good. Especially for clean sounds it was a huge improvement, the KPA came alive with the CFR12s while the Mesa cab tended to put a "curtain" over the clean sound. Case and point: the clean patches I programmed for the Mesa cab sounded dreadful over the CFR12s, while switching to a factory preset clean tone resulted in instant tonal bliss.

Summarized (based on 2 hours of messing about):

(+) for heavy rhythm work: sounds as good as the Mesa cab
    (+) for lead and especially for clean patches it's a huge improvement
    (+) overall sound is more transparent and easier to tweak
    (+) stereo
    (+) very wide dispersion field, I walked around the rehearsal room while playing and the change in sound is minimal
    (+) very (VERY) compact and easy to handle (although they seem very sturdy as well). Everyone that has hauled a Mesa XL cab up a flight of stairs will acknowledge the importance of this :D

(-) as of yet...none (they will look minuscule on a stage? :rolleyes: )

As promised a few pictures, I apologize for the quality, I used my phone camera and those are notoriously crap when used indoors.

[Blocked Image: http://i47.tinypic.com/rucfia.jpg]
    [Blocked Image: http://i47.tinypic.com/25qfbsk.jpg]
    [Blocked Image: http://i49.tinypic.com/2ecds00.jpg]

So I finally picked up 2 CFR12s and they arrived today...
    Very curious how they will hold up against my Mesa4x12!

First impression: man they are tiny 8|
    Let's hope they sound huge...

Well, it could turn out the opposite way.

The current unit could turn out to be the 'live rig' choice and the rack unit the better choice for the studio.
    Think about it, pretty soon every current unit is going to have a poweramp fitted, I doubt the rack unit will have a built in poweramp...it will be easier and cooler to gig with the toaster/poweramp and a rack version fitted neatly into the studio.

I think a lot of current owners will want to own both versions.

I started out from my standpoint which is a modest home studio, but I see your point :)

And -for me at least- the form factor really grew on me.
    When I would have had the choice between toaster and rack when I bought it, I would have gone for the rack.
    However, now that I've worked with the current device for almost a year , I wouldn't want nor need the rack version.
    I use it both for band rehearsal/gigging and in the home studio, so it's really convenient to take it to rehearsal and connect it to my rack, and afterwards take it home and connect it to my audio interface. Works surprisingly well and the buttons and display are always within reach to make quick adjustments.

I could understand that gigging musicians want a rack version to store it all neatly and compactly, but I'm pretty sure a lot of usability will be lost when doing so...most people still drag a 100W+ head on stage, this is the same thing, just lighter and smaller (and way more powerful). But admittedly, it looks atypical. If money wouldn't be an issue, in an ideal world I would have the toaster in the studio and a rack unit permanently connected to my gigging rack...but I'd rather spend the cash on additional toys than have that minor "inconvenience" :D

Live
    Guitar > G90 wireless > KPA
    > loop: Gibson EchoPlex
    > monitor out: Matrix GT1000FX > Mesa 4x12 XL cab
    > main out: Audio Technica M2 in-ear monitor

Controller: Gordius Little Giant (both for KPA and Echoplex)

Recording
    Guitar > KPA > SPDIF: Motu 896Mk3 interface > Cubase 6

All guitars and bass recorded on the KPA.
    http://youtu.be/SVNP_2aLAbI?hd=1