Posts by crankyrayhanky

1. If i'm using an FRFR speaker is it better to use a Merged or studio profile?

2. How does one typically recognize a what the profile type is (Studio, Merged)?

I don't see any indication on MBritts profiles.

In this situation (FRFR), either way would work but I would go with studio

I agree with most of the above
    In theory, the merged profile should have it all- di + studio...and it does. But there is a slight difference in tone between the original studio version and the ensuing merged profile. So for recording and live to FRFR, I would go studio as it seems to be slightly 'better'
    That being said, I like going with a 2x12 and di to PA, so merged is the best option there. But studio profiles work surprisingly well in this application too...lol, round and round we go!

I've done a few A/B blind tests with Kemper studio profiles and they're indistinguishable! Really amazing!
    Live, it sounds great di to PA and translates really well.

So the last piece of the puzzle for me is getting a killer tone into a traditional guitar cab. For this, I'm using a Krank 4x12 and a Mesa vertical 2x12 and mainly focusing on the hi gain dropC chunks.

I tried to create a di profile of my amp (DSL, 5153, D-Moll) and then A/B the amp going into the cab vs the powered Kemper going into the cab.The Kemper was falling a bit short in this specific application, sounding a bit woofy. I went into the Mon EQ and adjusted:

• Bass -1.1
    • Middle -1.0
    • Treble +1.7
    • Presence +0.1

This got me really close! Close enough to be happy. This cab is basically just for me for on stage listening to keep me inspired but I want it as close as possible o the real deal..
    Anybody have any EQ settings or tips to dial this in?
    Note that I love the profile, so that adjustments need to be Mon EQ only I assume for the real amp into a 2x12 or 4x12 feel/sound (hi Gain category)

Considering your OP, you listed some obstacles at getting a great profile. I wouldn't sell it off for that reason though, most people do not profile but find profiles that work for them

up late jammin'
    [video]

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/video]

NS - what is that? Just trying to follow your remedy. Is that a typo for Noise Gate?

Oh I was think Noise Suppressor...yes Noise Gate

My master NG is set at 5.5. I could probably take that down to 5?
    I have a Gate 2-1 in the D Block set at 5.2

I was super loud- easily could go close to 100dbs with no noise. The drums, bass, and PA were all rocking LOUD. Dead Quiet for me even on the uber high gain stuff. I turned the D block Gate for most patches too with the master gate handling it all. On the high gain double gate patch, I need to assign that D Gate to a pedal assign because sometimes I like to dial down the guitar volume for more mellow stuff and that gate needs to go off in those applications

Now I just have to re assign my pedal assigns- I think I want (most of the time)
    A: Gate
    B: Wah
    C: OD
    D: Phaser

I'm also happy I was able to get this done without putting the Gate in the effects area. I'm actually surprised as that's where I would put it on my actual amps- in the loop.

Am I mixing this up, or I could have sworn there was a Roland Dimension C type space chorus a few years ago. Maybe there's a legacy fx pack I need?
    I really liked that one and can't quite get the same thing with any of the choruses that were preloaded

Also, there was an Oil delay before that I loved

Any insight appreciated!

So let me walk you through a scenario

• EVH amp gets profiled using a simple 57 on axis; this session includes direct, studio, and merge
    • I sell the EVH amp (because while the amp is great the KPA is 99% there)
    • Marshall amp gets profiled using an sm7 on axis; this session includes direct, studio, and merge
    • Now I love this new profile, especially the cab capture. I take that new sm7 cab and apply it to the EVH direct profile.

Here's the question: should I skip the MERGE function?
    As I understand it, the merge is calculating and separating the sounds between the amp and cab. Since that cab has no EVH dna, the calculations would be off and could be strange. Is it better to just apply the new cab, kind of old school style- just slap it on like we used to back before 3.0? Not quite as effective as a true merged profile, but I imagine still very cool.
    Anybody test it both ways?

I love my EVH amp but may need to sell it, so I'm kind of anxious to make sure I profile it thoroughly before saying farewell. But maybe having the EVH di profiles means new sounds can keep on rolling in at a high level.

Thanks!

On the Kemper controller, I reassigned my loop for the D Button
    It works, but the LED does not light On/Off. It is always Off

During start up, the LED lights, so it works....maybe I'm missing a checkbox somewhere?

Thanks!

true, getting these gate levels sorted out is the key
    I think this issue is isolated to that medium sized jam room with loud rock/metal. At home, I can get stupid loud, no issues.
    But at rehearsal, it seems more susceptible/sensitive to picking up noise (drums, Bass, PA) through the pickup as compared to an actual amp. Weird

So I'm making some of my own profiles and thought it would be best to start with an amp profile that is somewhat closer to mine on the browser (modern hi gain). Let's call this profile Joe.
    I complete my profile and start to edit the tags for amp, cab, etc.
    The original author Joe from that initial profile is still in there. Nothing about this new profile is related; I change all the info to my stuff (Ray).

Now I start with my Ray profile and go to make more; Joe's name is back and I need to edit this everytime (?!) Not sure why Ray is not being displayed as the default here as nothing is left from the Joe profile.

Is there a better to do this? Is there some kind of blank profile I should start with?
    I'm having big sessions of 10-20+ profiles and is so tedious to have edit Joe everytime. :cursing:

Thanks! :thumbup: