Posts by crankyrayhanky

ok, I've been jamming here at home and think I found a solution

The practice place in question has this slanted Marshall cab that surely has the dreaded t75s. Years ago, I played through better cabs and had similar issues, but right now that bright cab is a glaring concern.

I was flipping around and realized the Tills Recto would stand a much better chance. The Butterslax has those modern highs (kind of Fortin-ish in its attack which are usually awesome but just aren't translating well for this cab.

The Tills Recto is much thicker and smoother on the highs. I'll try that next week.

Should I have that Gate in the x slot? Right now I've had it in D as that's where I saw it on a modern metal profile somewhere. In tube amps, it would be the x slot. I may try that to see what happens.

So last night I brought the Kemper to band practice. I find this to be the area that I struggle with the most with Kemper.
    I just got the Kemper last week, but had Kemper 3 years ago and had teh same issues then.

Studio: awesome
    Live on a decent stage using guitar cab and di to house PA: awesome
    Loud Rock/Metal Band Practice in medium room on a guitar cab: not as good

It seems as though my actual amps can get much more gain and volume without feedback issues.
    Kemper can get the volume, but an "uncontrollable" aspect starts to kick in, it feels like I'm fighting to keep the ugly feedback away much more so than an amp

I had the noise gate around 5.5 and had a Gate in the stomp section as well for my high gain rhythm parts. I had it dialed in pretty good, but then the bass player turned up and when I tried to compete things got hairy scary

FWIW, I used the Butterslax in the free section. I remember this concern years ago, so it's likely not profile dependent.

Maybe I should have went with the ch2 Slax where the gain is at 2 oclock (as opposed to the Slax 3 gaon at 4 oclock. More volume usually mean less gain is needed on an amp....I needed to turn off the OD clean boost but still felt things were way hot.

I'm pretty sure these setting that failed would sound great at the home studio and on the big stage...but this one band jam environment i need to solve.

Any insight appreciated!

Hey

I just snagged the Kemper after a few years. I've only had it a day, so I'm scrambling around today to make some performance slots for my band practice tonight. Really dig these tones, I'm going to rock these on like 90% of my stuff. Thanks!!

Thanks all!
    Fired it up last night and- this sounds silly since i had one for years- the tones were incredible. Last time I was here the merged profile was new, I think 3.0? Seems like the profiler took since huge step forward, especially with all those cool delays and verbs.

I'm going to dial in some quick profiles for a live jam tomorrow night.

I'm getting back into Kemper! It's been a few years, I played and flipped some amps but here I am full circle!
    This time I'm getting the remote to go with a powered black toaster. I think the flexibility and tones live and studio make this a no brainer.

So...what's new, lol! I'll see you on the private forum side soon; KPA ships out today, should have it before the week ends :P

Quick Hi Gain clip testing out the new PURE CAB feature.
    I tried to keep the variable to a minimum. Same signal chain for A & B

Peavey HP>Orange OR100 profiles (xOR11 & xOR15)
    2 guitars for each panned hard L R
    I seemed to like the Pure CAB at low levels, but everyone else using like 5.0 so I rolled with that (on a 0-10.0 scale).
    This experiment opened my eyes as the difference is not subtle and I really prefer one over the other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqjfxqg-7Ys

I frequently switch between my amps and Kemper (including the same amps profiled) at band practice. I can play the amps at high gain and high volume without my noise gate (ISP decimator), but the Kemper is tougher to wrangle in to avoid that microphonic feedback- it needs much more aggressive gating, either a Gate in slot A or the Decimtaor in front for the high gain stuff.

This is not a big a factor when playing by myself at seemingly any volume, but a band room that is pushing all of the extra volume from drums, PA and Bass seem to create more concerns here. Not an issue with the amps. I'm guessing not an issue live where the room is likely to be much larger.

Session 3 MERGED profiles are now available. I used the settings requested GreatAnt and tried it with 3 very different speakers: k100, Legend, and Retro.
    Here is an amp KPA comparison video using the high gain Legend profile:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

FREE updates are being emailed to previous OR owners!

http://xrayprofiles.bigcartel.com/product/orange-or100

All pre 3.0 profiles have been discounted. This includes the Diezel D-Moll...though it still inspires!Here is a recent clip using x54k100 & x54Legend. Quad tracked using a Peavey HP CT with BK Blackhawk and a Gutierrez with BK Juggernaut. Basic ProTools delay added to the solo.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.