Posts by klassiker

Right now the performance names are centered on the screen of the remove. When the clock display is enabled, it can happen that it covers parts of the rig name even though there's free space left before the centered performance name.

An option to define whether the performance name should be left-aligned or centered would be cool, especially when using performace mode on remote together with the clock display.

They call it "Capture", not profiling. We assume it's the same or similar. The term "rig" is used in many places, and Kemper most certainly doesn't have a trademark on that term.

Again, "refine" is not a trademarked term Kemper owns.

People were saying the same thing about Positive Grid and their "Amp Match" function. Kemper would have a patent on a particular methodology, not on EQ and gain matching as a whole. It's possible that Neural has a different way of accomplishing those ends. I'm keen to try it.

The marketing copy I've seen doesn't say anything about either profiling or perfection. They claim the learning algorithm creates more realistic representations than others. Of course anybody can say anything, so we shall see.

As I understand the patent, it's rather about the approach to profile sounds (regardless how you call it) and not about a specific aspect of the technical implementation. With that I assume that Kemper could sue any competitor that can "profile" or "capture" sounds. But of course the question is, whether Kemper is interserested in suing competitors that violate their patent. As long as it doesn't affect Kemper's business, they can save the money for law suits. And the more the competitors sell, the higher would be penalty they have to pay. And especially small companies will not survive this.

https://patentimages.storage.g…d485c765cbe/US8796530.pdf
    https://patentimages.storage.g…a0ad/DE102006035188B4.pdf

The rotary switch move is cool as hell, didn't realize they included that.

Maybe nice for home studio usage, but live with dirty floors, stages and rest rooms. I find it rather disgusting to step on the switches with a dirty shoe sole and then use them with the fingers to adjust settings.

Hatte früher auch Probleme mit Remote-Aussetzern auch mit den (zugegeben etwas "gealterten") Originalkabeln. Die Lösung war für mich am Ende ein PoE. Damit funktioniert jetzt jedes Kabel Problemlos. Sogar die flexiblen CAT5e mit 10 Meter vom großen T sind damit kein Problem mehr. Einzige Schwierigkeit war so ein PoE mit Kaltgerätestecker zu finden, da ich nicht auf Steckernetzteile stehe.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07P1…m_r_mt_dp_U_xXBfFbRJM55TD

https://www.thomann.de/de/cordial_cse10nh5.htm

Looks great but I would very hesitant to take anything on the road that uses a wall wart. Opportunity missed there by not having an IEC connector on the back.

That was my first thought also. And my second thought was "venue toilet --> shoes --> footswitch --> fingers" (e. g. to adapt the volume). Using the food switches to control settings might sound clever, but not if you use the unit live.

Right now it's not so convenient to switch between upper and lower case letters with the first knob under the display and to choose the character with the fourth knob.

As knob 2 and 3 seem to not have any function assigned while storing/naming rigs and performances I would like to see:

1st knob: Select upper case character (A-Z)

2nd knob: Select lower case character (a-z)

3rd knob: Select number (0-9)

4th knob: Select special character

This would speed up entering of names etc. a lot for me.

Just saw that OS 5.4.1.13212 was released on December 18th, 2017. I haven't seen it as there was no post in "Announcements from Kemper" this time.

User Interface
    added: third instrument “Acoustic” beside “Guitar” and “Bass”
    changed: Volume Pedal Locations changed to “Input”,“PreStack”,“PostStack”,“Output”

It wouldn't cost anywhere near that much, Janne (I think), but I agree; we shouldn't "demand" it.

We've expressed the fact that we'd "like" to have one; this IMHO is enough.

2-4 developers for some months, and you are in the range of several hundred thousands euros (assuming experienced developers who are able to design/implement/test/productize and ship a product in 3-6 months). And still you need a reamp-up phase to decide what should be in the product and to train these developers with the KPA internals (which has to be paid as well without getting anything).

Well, a Kemper A/B switch was released today…

Useful? Perhaps. More useful than an editor? Not a snowball's chance in hell. What a bizarre thing to prioritize.

Most likely that's because you need a different skillset to design and productize hardware than the one you need to develop software (on at least two platforms). Also for development of different software (Kemper effects/extensions vs. editor software) you need people with a different skillset (if you want to have a working product).

Fair enough, they're still finding buyers, but the sellers are losing the 13% that the ebay takes and they can't be getting full price, might as well buy commercial profiles for those rare and hard to find amp or go to the rig exchange, there's hardly any amp that isn't there.

Beside the fact that I was just joking, I meant amps that the users already own before they buy a Kemper. If someone would want to profile new amps (at least here in Europe), he could just grab a test unit from a local store and return it after profiling it without any money or loss involved. Of course that's not ok from an ethical perspective and I don't think that it happens too often.

I love the Kemper. There's nothing wrong with it as is, but by the same token there's absolutely nothing to indicate that it's making a dent in amp sales. Compare the number of amps actually sold on eBay to Kempers sold. Amp sales crush it. I mean, I'll take a Kemper over a tube amp all day long but the fact is it's not a threat to the bottom line of amp manufacturers.

Well, the sales numbers on eBay can be explained. Users profile their amps, keep the Kemper and sell their amps on eBay afterwards ;)

I'm using approx. 15 rigs based on 4 basic sounds which differ only in activated effects or their parameters and rig volume, in approx. 150 performances.

If I update a specific Rig (e. g. a bit more gain for the rig that contains the rhythm sound) I have to copy and past it in the rig manager from browse mode to all performances where I used this rig.

It would be cool to have a option for the rig in the browse mode to apply it to all performance slots which have the exact same name (case sensitive) as the rig has. This would save me a lot of time, and would make me confident that all performances are really updated, as the manual copy and paste via rig manager is quite error prone.

Der Preis ist schon heftig, aber als ich die Teile das erste Mal verwendet habe, war mir klar, dass ich den Schritt schon vorJahren hätte unternehmen sollen. Meine alten Hörer (Hearsafe HS 15-1) mit den Elacin Plastiken war auch nicht schlecht aber viel zu wenig Dämpfung und kein guter Sound im direkten Vergleich. Auch die austauschbaren Kabel haben Vorteile.

Nach meiner Erfahrung kann es auch am In-Ear Kopfhörer liegen, dass es nicht rockt. Ist der Kopfhörer vom Sound her schlecht bzw. dämpft sehr wenig, hast du mit einem Amp und einem 4x12 Cab überhaupt kein Problem, da du den "amp-in-the-Room"-Sound und den damit verbundenen Druck ja direkt von der Box bekommst und damit das In-Ear-Signal überlagerst.

Den perfekten Gitarrensound im In-Ear habe ich auch erst, seitdem ich auf die Ultimate Ears UE-4 umgestiegen bin (und das bei einer sehr viel geringeren Lautstärke).

I'm using a Line6 G90 (in rf1 mode!!!) which is very reliable and feels natural (latency wise - I also don't have numbers). I like the battery indicator on the 19" rack unit for the transmitter. The hours and minutes are not accurate, but there's approx one hour left when the light turns red, so even if it happens while you are in the first part of a set, you should have enough time to finish the set and change the batteries in the break. The battery compartment issue that some users have reported (opens accidentally when you hit the button) is not an issue for me, becauseI use a wireless holder which is attached to my guitar strap where the transmitter is fixed with a velcro tape. This fixes the whole unit including the lid of the battery compartment.

My in-ear system is the Thomann t.bone IEM 200 (820 MHz) which has a quite good value for the prise (~ 400 EUR). Especially the fact that it has two inputs which you can use to mix two separate signals on the receiver using a balance knob. My IEM transmitter is set up in stereo mode where one channel is the mix from the band and the other channel is my kemper signal that I receive from the direct out (as the monitor output goes to my power amp for natural feedback). The IEM receiver is set up in mono, so I get both signals left and right and can use the balance knob to change the relative level from one channel to the other. I. e. I can change the loudness of my signal in my in-ear mix on stage which is quite cool.

Gestern war ich bei einem relativ großen Musikladen, um mir eine Box für mein Power-Rack zu suchen.

Meine Wahl fiel auf eine Box mit 2 x 12" Celestion Vintage 30 Lautsprechern. Als ich den Verkäufer auf das Missverhältnis von 600 Watt Endstufe im Kemper Amp und den 120 Watt der Box ansprach (bei 8 Ohm), fing der an etwas von Röhrenwatt und Tansistorwatt zu erzählen. Ich habe mal gelernt, dass Leistung aus Spannung mulitpliziert mit Strom errechnet wird und somit nichts mit der Verstärkertechnologie wie Röhre oder Transistor zu tun hat. Dass die Wattangabe nichts über die Lautstärke aussagt, und man sich auch mit 50 Watt Verstärkern das Gehör zerstören kann, ist mir klar.

Die Box habe ich trotzdem gekauft, und aufgrund des Missverhältnisses gehe ich davon aus, dass ich die Lautsprecher mit dem Kemper problemlos grillen kann.

Da ich keine praktische Erfahrung im "Lautsprechergrillen" habe, stelle ich mir jetzt die Frage, ob ich das merken würde, wenn ich in den kritischen Leistungsbereich komme? Wenn man im Proberaum den Gehörschutz drin hat, und das Schlagzeug und der Bass mal wieder Vollgas geben, könnte ich mir schon vorstellen, dass es für die Box gefährlich werden könnte.

Gibt es hier jemand mit Erfahrung? Gibt es Zeichen/Geräusche, die mich warnen? Oder merkt man eine Überlastung erst, wenn schon alles zu spät ist?

Yes, very stable. Has some minor issues in combination with the Remote (which shouldn't affect that many users :-P) when sorting performances, but support told me that they are already addressed in the next FW.