Posts by Steeldom

Hi,

maybe I missunderstoud you but a patchbay is only a connector between different stuff. One channel of it doesn't affect the others (or else it is a BAD patchbay ;) )

You only have one fx-loop on the Kemper but a lot of stuff you want to connect to it. You basically have two options:
    1. Serial switching system.
    That means that you have a switcher that activates only the unit (or units) you want to be active at a time. The rest is out of the signal chain. This is common in the "big racks" but also pretty expensive.
    You could just plug everything in a row but that would give you the same effect as with too many stomp boxes :)
    2. Parallel
    This means you split the signal after the fx loop, send it through every unit seperatly and mix it together at the end.

I know the feeling of having unused stuff but I'd recommend you to choose one or two favourites and leave the rest. I use a HD 500 as midicontroller and for additional effects. And even that means a LOT of cable work, just to have these two units run together. The more stuff you connect the more likely something will fail and you'll spend your time troubleshooting.
    The HD 500 has all sorts of effects and is a midicontroller. It doesn't do everything perfect (and I have the feeling it flattens the dynamics of the Kemper a bit...) but all in all its a good compromise.

I hope that helps :)

Theres nothing wrong with being critical. But I can't understand guys that want to show how certain gear sounds and use their camera-mic on the video. How am I supposed to know what it sounds like if half of what I'm hearing is the dry string sound and the other half is a somewhat compressed cam-mic?
    Thats why I don't take these kind of videos serious (no matter which product they show).

Or the other possibility is to use one patch by song where you can configure it in stompbox mode with the possibility of doing 8 Program Changes. The down side is that you will loose switch led indication and patch naming I guess telling in which patch/part of the song you are.

I though about this too. I think I will do a combination where I will do some programm changes instead of effects on and off. That way I have 4 kpa sounds per POD HD patch. So a POD HD patch is my new "bank" :rolleyes:

Hi guys,

I'm pretty much done putting together my new rig. My Kemper will be controlled by my HD 500 and I thought I'd use one bank per song (Intro, verse, refrain, solo or something like that). But if I see it right, I only have 16 banks per setlist, and no possibility to switch between setlists with my foot.
    Since I'm pretty sure 16 Songs won't be enough, has anyone any idea, how I can get more out of it?

Steeldom

A solution would be (not the best but a solution anyway) to save the rig multiple times. E.g. Put a "001" or "006" before the name and then assign the presets to those midi numbers. If you want to tweak the preset change the "master" and safe it as both.

Should do the trick I guess.

I think he meant the Line 6 floorboard ;)

If this was possible I would consider this option as well. Ideal would be to connect the line 6 board to the kemper via R45j, but thats impossible I guess...

EDIT: Just found some statements on the line6 homepage:

"We all know the FBV Shortboard MkII can be used to control all kinds of
    audio applications via MIDI over its USB connection (if you’re not
    familiar with what it can do, check out some of the video tutorials
    posted on our Line 6 Support Youtube Channel)"

"Take full advantage of FBV Shortboard MkII with the free and
    downloadable FBV Control software. The application shows you a graphical
    representation of your FBV Shortboard MkII and lets you customize the
    midi commands you send via USB."

There has been a cab like this on g66.eu by Atomic. But now they only sell the wedge and not the "guitar cab" anymore. A pity...

The difficulty with FRFR speakers IMO is to set your sound up in a way that it will sound good over a variety of speakers. If I have my tube amp I don't have to worry about that as much or lets say I give that responsibility to the FOH guy when hes placing the microphone.
    But with FRFR I might have a pair that has a boomy bass, so all my presets will end up with less bass and might sound thin on another soundsystem. Same goes the other way round.
    Thats one reason people try to find the most "guitar cab like" FRFR system I guess, since then they'd be more able to judge the sound objectivly.
    Another reason is that it's not the same feeling playing through a guitar cab or a FRFR. But using a poweramp and guitar cab for stage monitoring isn't always the best solution. At least in terms of sound variety.

Hi guys,

by messing around with the reverb I came across a setting that blew me away.

1. Choose a rig you like (works best with gainy rigs)
    2. enable reverb with the following settings:

Mix: between 70 and 95% depending on how "huge" you want your rig to sound ;)
    Del+rev balance: 0%
    Time: 0.0
    Damping: 5
    Predelay: 0ms
    Bandwidth: 0.0
    Frequency: 0.0
    Volume: 0.0 (or where you like it, doesn't affect the sound)

Tell me what you think :)

I keep thinking, if CK had asked us in advance what the KPA should look like, maybe it would have come out totally different. Some people would be happy about it, others not. In the end I think his concept is great and very functional. Thats why I think I for one will just wait and let him do the floorboard he thinks is best.
    So CK, I'm with whatever you think is best. :thumbup:

This somehow reminds me of the "war" between microsoft and apple and the hype that was created around Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. Instead of all THIS I would like to have an interview with Cliff and CK talking about their ideas, about what they think the future of guitaramp technology will be and things like that.
    Would be way more productive.

Bottom line is both are men that built a guitar processor out of nothing. Fractal did change modelling and built one of the best multi fx unit you can buy. And Kemper went another way and took the sound much further and even inspired Fractal.

I never understood the hate going on between gear owners and/or manufacturers. Heck, I'm writing you from a macbook with windows and if I had the money I'd run my Kemper into an Axe-Fx. :P