Posts by Steeldom

I would be really interested in bassamp profiles too.
    A friend of mine has a marshall bass tubeamp (I don't know exactly which one). Do you have any suggestions on which microphones would be best for it?
    Or let's say which types, since I don't have that many to choose from ;)

German Bastard? Don't be so hard on yourself

As I said, the term "german bastard" was the way of my guitar teachers american best friend to show his friendship. :D And they really were best friends my teacher even named a son after him. :) Unfortunatelly this guy past away one or two years ago. He was the master builder with G&L guitars "Gene Engelhart". A true legend in terms of guitar building!

YES very rare all tube pedal thats UBER in use! Probably the best Engl product ever. I did a comparison between the tube toner and a mesa v twin pedal and the Engl was KING! Would love to hear it profiled. I wish I didnt sell it 2 years ago :( One of the most underrated all tube pedals of all time IMO :thumbup:

Oh yes! I had the chance to shot one on ebay a few years ago and I did, never regreted it. Once I figured out the profiling process there will be different ones of this pedal! :)

So today I did my first profile and I failed hard.
    My plan was to meet the guitarist of our band half an hour before the rehearsal. In the end the whole band was watching while I tried to figure out how everything worked. :S
    He plays an Engl Tubetoner into a George Dennis Mighty Mouse. Its a great combination, sounds killer. The profile did not, it was a whole lot away from what the amp sounded. But I was in a kind of hurry at this point, so I take the blame.

Then I tried the sounds I created so far through our PA. Horrible. I should have learned this lessen from my other digital devices: NEVER configurate live sounds under your headphones! :cursing:

So back to step one. :pinch:
    But its ok, if it would be too easy it wouldn't be as much fun 8o

can't these preset-nerds just buy an axe fx and programm their mfc to 15 p/c's? just kidding of course (!)... :P
    it is a testament to the kpa, that folks want to use it like a pedalboard -> amp setup. you don't need 20 sounds per song, if your preset doesn't suck after some seconds...
    so, to feature the ingenious multi-stomp-in-one-switch-control ck came up with, it should be prominent and on the bottom... hope this makes sense 8|

It strongly depends on what you do. The term "preset-nerds" meant is totally untrue. Look at the pedalboards of pros on big stages. With rigs made from people like Bob Bradshaw. These people sometimes have only one amp and multiple effects. So a preset is not to have everything changed but to change multiple effects on and off. I could easily counter with "effect junkie" :P But that wouldn't be true as well. I also like to have a lot of fx options BUT i don't want to do stepdances on stage if I want to go from "compressed chorused clean" to "lead with delay". You know what I mean? ;)

I totally agree with JoeBlob. This feature should really be switchable.

Hi guys,

I've been around here a while and have already given some input on certain discussion. But today I have finally officially been kemperized! 8) Feels good!
    I'm a hobby musician from southwest germany, hoping that might change someday (as probably every non-pro musician :) ) I play guitar and bass in two different bands and I'm working on making the Kemper my "one for all" solution.
    My first thought when I plugged in my guitar today and started playing was "sounds ok". And then I thought: "Wait a minute, I've heard clips of this beast, that have blown my head off!" The reason is simple, my poweramp (american audio) and FRFR cabs (musicstore fame) suck. So the next investement will come. Just when I thought this buy would make any further investements obsolete. ;)
    So with a bit tweaking I got happier and happier and I really can't await the first rehearsals with this.

Before I turned it on, I thought: "Dom, you're gonna take the first rig thats loaded and you're gonna play with nothing else today." It was "Ac normal drive" and I really really really like it. So heres what I'm gonna do and i think that is not a bad idea, if you're new to the Kemper. I already have two usb thumbdrives, one on which I made a backup of the factory presets. And one on which I deleted everything except for "Ac normal drive". I'm now going to dial in my typical 5-10 sounds based on only this rig and see how far I can get. This not only prevents me from getting overwhelmed in the beginning by all these different sounds but helps me to get to know the Kemper better.
    This thumbdrive will only contain sounds I use for rehearsing or live situations. And it will have both bass and guitar sounds.
    On the second one I'm going to store every profile I can get my hands on! :thumbup: This one I will use for browsing and looking for inspiration.
    Maybe I should get a third one to organize my recording sounds.

I also have two questions to you guys:

1. Has someone, by any chance, a backup of all the available rigs he would email me, or post somewhere online. I fear downloading 1200 profiles from the rig exchange one by one... :wacko:
    That would be really awesome!
    2. Are there any profiles of bassamps yet? I think i could do some great sounds, by just using the effects and eq without amp and cab but if there are profiles they will probably be really good. :D

Lastly, I really hope I will be able to do some decent profiles on my own. The only working tube amp I own atm is a Harley Beton G5 (5g?? who cares), which I would not call "great" but with certain pedals it sounds quite ok. Let's find out how it sounds profiled 8)
    I also have a Peavey Classic 50 in my basement. A lovely amp that stopped working two days before a gig, nice... Now with the Kemper, getting my Peavey fixed is definitely on my agenda. Once it is, there will be profiles of it :)

So yeah, thanks for your time. I'm really glad to be a part in the "kemper mission" (even if a small one). It already is awesome but I think I'm not the only one that has even higher expectations for the future.

For everyone who didn't want to read this whole sermon here's the short version:

ROCK'N'ROOOOOLL!!!! HAHAHAHA!! :thumbup:

(EDIT: Just to avoid any missunderstanding "You damn german bastard!" is what my guitar teacher was always called by his best friend in the usa, a real bromance! :) )

While you're at it, why not buy two thumbdrives. On one I'd load every profile you can get and one for your favourites, once you've figured them out. Less profiles means the kemper boots faster and you got a better overview IMO.
    But having everything available also means you can browse through them from time to time, to get inspiration. Sometimes when you have an inspirational blockade all it needs is a new sound and it makes click. :)

i'm happy to see this thread is still alive and i'm thrilled that the looper is still being considered... ;)
    no surprise answers from me:

definietely: 5, right, fx - as shown in my latest proposals... thanks for listening!!! :thumbup:

5, right, fx :whistling:

Manipulating the statistic, eh? :P

EDIT: Both quotes are from kilihahn, doesn't show for some reason...

Many of you choose the 6 buttons per row. Is this because you want the bank buttons closer?

In my case yes. The question is how the bank buttons will work.
    E.G. if you're on preset 2C and you press "bank up" will you get to 3C automatically or will it get you into some kind of "browse mode" where you then have to choose the preset of the bank you just selected? (thats the way the line6 stuff works)

Are you aware you can profile gain-related fx only? No delays, flangers, reverbs... And what would the use of a single snapshot of a compressor or a graphic eq be?

The KPA can't profile amps & fx: it can profile those fx which behave like amps, because of the fact that it can profile amps! So this new profiler would be limited to distortion and overdrive boxes... and to single snapshots of them ... :huh: ... Not sure it would be profitable for the designer in terms of market share :|

Yep I am aware of that and I am talking only about these kind of effects.
    The reason is pretty simple. Some people like to use the distortion out of the amp itsself, some prefer to use clean amps cranked and add a gainpedal in front of it.
    Sometimes combinations of pedals. The reason therefore is (at least in my case) that I like the specific sound of that amp, only that I want it distorted in one way or another. Maybe with a bluesy pedal, maybe with some highgain stuff. Adding compressors, eqs to combinations of gainpedals gives you in the end the kind of distortion that you want in that particular sound.
    Maybe I'm totally alone on this one but before using modelling stuff I often used combinations of 2-4 pedals to get ONE specific sound. The same combination put before a different amp of course gives a totally different sound.
    What I'm suggesting is that you can capture this whole chain (which can even include the preamp of an actuall amp) via profiling and be able to put it before any amp you like, just like it was a single pedal.
    Lets say you take a tubescreamer as the basis, you add a sight compressor to give it a little more punch but there are certain frequencys that behave unpleasant, so you put an equalizer into the chain, et voila. But you have to use 3 different pedals, just to get this one sound.

Of course we can already profile it with an amp. The only difficulty is that you have to profile each amp again, with the pedals and no way to change only the sound of these pedals but not the amp, once its profiled. You can only profile it again, with changed settings. And again, and again.

The feature I'm suggestion would enable you to "create" your own gainpedal, with all the components you like, to get the exact kind of distortion you like, that no single pedal can provide you. And of course we could exchange our custom distortion pedals, als well as we could exchange boutique pedals, like we do with boutique amps.
    There are about 20 (afaik) different kinds of tube screamers since they were first made and everyone has a different tone, that doesn't even include all the possible mods on these pedals. Again just like a marshall jtm 45 is not like a marshall jtm 45 if you know what I mean. ;)

I really hope that you can understand what I mean, because my english is not the best sometimes.

You are right, up to a point it is your own fault. I don't buy a product without doing research first, not even a coffeemachine and especially not something worth 1450€. If in the process of research I find out, that there are some features missing, that I'd like to have, I balance them against the features I get. And if I think it's worth buying it, I do. If not, I don't. But if I do, I don't complain afterwards about the things I KNEW I woudln't have.
    Of course I would probably make some suggestions, even support the request of those features. But I'd not make someone else responsible for the choice I made.

I do agree with you that those things would/will be handy. I do not agree with you that you can't do professional work without them (which you haven't said so but indicated).

Please don't be offendet because I don't mean it that way! I'm all for criticism, constructive criticism that is. :)