Posts by Steeldom

Of course I want this feature to be implemented in lets say the next two month, max! If not I will never touch it again, leave this forum and never talk to any of guys again... EVER!!! :P

Just kidding, I just thought this is a way to widen the use of the "profiling concept". Of course it would require a lot of work. Personally if such a tremendous feature would be implemented I would have not a bit against paying for it.
    Like a modular system. You have the normal profiling (which is excelent itsself) and many effects already onboard. Additional features can be bought from kemper.

I could also see a "kemper profiling stompbox". A counterpart that exclusivly profiles different stompboxes. This could of course be used with traditional tube amps as well as with the kpa.

I admit, most of this is probably not a "feature request" more like ideas for the future. :)

@guitarnet: so from now on I will ask you if I want a stompbox added to a certain profile :thumbup:

I can see why CK wouldn't do that. It would resolve in a lot of negativ feedback, since the editor would probably take its time to work properly, especially if its not from Kemper itsself. So people would blame Kemper that the editor isn't working, which they then obviously couldn't do a thing about.

I also think the Kemper is still a bit like new born baby, or lets say a really young infant. As pretty much every technology it needs its time to overcome "teething troubles" and get to its full potential. And in this critical time I think it's understandable that Kemper doesn't want it to get into contact with Windows/Mac yet, since that would open a whole world of new issues.

And last I think, pods didn't came with editors in the beginning, the axe needed a long time before there was an editor. So whats the hurry?
    It's been requested many times and I'm pretty sure it will come sooner or later.

As for his second idea, IMO it can't be done without serious HW/SF modifications to the KPA's structure and/or logic: stompboxes in the KPA are modelled, not profiled, and lie in a completely different logical "part" of the machine.

Due to the tenths of requests for new functionalities and/or modifications which flow in the same logic path of the KPA's philosophy, this is something so far from the intrinsic nature of the machine that it seems very remote to me :|

I don't think it is so completely off what the Kemper already does. We can already profile a preamp alone. The new function would be to save the amp part of a profile as a stompbox with reduced settings. (Which is what I meant. Reading my first post now I think I just wrote much to much around what I wanted to propose in the first place ;) )
    That would of course only work if the Kemper is capable of running two profiles at once.

6 buttons, bank to the right, preset in the bottom row.

But if you decide to put the bank buttons in a third row the preset buttons should be in the middle and the fx in the bottom row, since they shouldn't be seperated by a line of fx button IMO.

Guess I will write an email to thomann and see what they say about it :)

Ok I got an answer and the answer is no...
    I could do it myself but I was never satisfied with my own soldering, I don't trust myself enough to take it on stage....

But I just thought about something else. I could just use the POD HD effects before the Kemper. That would save me 4 cables. I think I'll go down this road. I'll use the MIDI functions to have access to the post-fx of the Kemper itsself.

I'll give you guys feedback once i tried that out completely.

I read that a lot of you guys use this combination. I want to too but I'm not yet sure if I should use the HD only as a midicontroller or as the FX unit and the Kemper only for the ampsound, because that would include a lot of cables and I don't like to have too many long cables.
    At the moment I power my unit with a pa poweramp into two fullrange speakers. On top of it is my rack with the wireless system and racktuner. If I want to use the HD for fx i'd need 6 cables from the rack to the Pedalboard:
    - Power for the HD
    - Midi
    - Wireless to HD 500 Input
    - HD 500 FX send to Kemper Input
    - Kemper Main out Stereo - HD 500 FX return
    And since I use Inear I'd have to return the HD 500 main outputs back into my rack, so thats another 2 cables making it 8...
    If I use the HD only as a midi controller it would only be 2 cables (power and midi).

I'm really unsure about this. On the one hand I want to use the HD 500 FX like filters, synths, whammy, octaver which the kemper doesn't have. On the other hand I don't think a cable tree with 8! cables over 9m, with the signal going back and forth so many times is a really good solution...
    What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

I think that the fact that C Kemper hasn't shown much presence in this forum in the last time means, that there are things going on, instead of them making a holiday in the carribean. ;)

I also think, that it is wrong to "demand" new features, especially if they're for free. Bugfixes of course are another case. But you bought a product, for what it is and what it does. If there are new features and if they are for free, well great! If there are non, you still have everything what you paid for. Maybe companies should stop giving major updates to the customers for free. (bugfixes of course should always be free) People tend to be less happy about what they get for free, than what they pay for, profiles included...
    You are right about the performance mode though. Still, I rather wait longer and have a good solution, than having it at once and it doesn't work.

My 2 Cent ;)

The first question is, if stomp-profiling can be done. And since a stompbox is a kind of preamp and preamp only profiling is possible, I think it could be done. Maybe not easy and maybe not at once but the guys at kemper could figure it out I guess.

The second question is, if the kemper has enough dsp to handle two profiles of any kind at once. If yes then dual-amping could also be possible in the future. If no we don't have to talk about stompbox profiling. ;)

Definitely not the way I would use
    it... Tweaking a sound at home and then discovering it's not good at all
    on rehearsal or in studio and not being able to "work" properly... and
    be able to try something else the next time I'm gonna be "home" or
    somewhere with my laptop and internet (hotel room or so where I might
    even not have my gear with me... no thanks!)

I think our ways to work are different and thats ok, since it seems to work for you, as it seems to work for me. ;)
    But everywhere I want to have an editor to tweak my sounds, there is my laptop. And where its not, I don't need to tweak that much.
    And in a hotel room, where I don't even have the kemper beside me... why would I want to tweak a sound there, when I can't even hear, what I'm doing? And even if I wanted to, again, I'd have my laptop with me.
    I'm not a touring pro, so I'm not that often in hotels. But if I am, I think I can think of other ways to spend my time, than tweaking my equipment. :P

Wow, you're definitely off on this one... and I give you less than 3 years to know it (And you can mark my words :)).

Haha ok! We'll see about that :thumbup:

Spid, your arguments are reasonable and I also think, everybody should buy gear depending on HIS PERSONAL needs and not any hype whatsoever. I think the Kemper is an extraordinary piece of gear and while I also would like to have some things in it, that will probably not be possible, I think I will just build a rig around it, with it only doing what it does best: Reproducing great amp sounds.

I would also like to say, that I think OPs question has been handled very good, especially since this is the Kemper forum! No clash of fanboys vs haters in any way. :thumbup:

I can totaly understand being curious and wanting to try out every profile possible.

My cousin recently got his first laptop. And he was very impressed, very happy and wanted to try out everything. A few weeks later he came to me and said: "It's strange, my laptop is so slow, I can't seem to find stuff anymore, could you take a look at it?" So i did and I guess you all know what I found. Hundreds of small freeware application, his whole desktop was full of icons. The laptop was hardly doing anything. His browser was full of toolbars etc. He has downloaded pretty much everything he could, not because he really needed the stuff, just because it was available.
    I'm not an IT person but anyone who has worked with computers (and the kemper is a computer) knows two things: Too much data makes your computer slow and unclear.

That does not mean, that there isn't room for a rig organising software. But you can avoid to be overwhelmed by... well... not overwhelming yourself ;)

Well I might be wrong but isn't this the most usual way:

At home: loading new profiles, editing them. Comparing them, decide which ones to use, arrange them, setup midi-stuff.
    ---------------> Here you'll need pretty much every aspect of the Kemper (depending on how much you want to tweak sounds)
    Rehearsal: Finetuning rigs to sound good in the band context.
    ---------------> All the controls on the frontpanel will do the trick.
    On stage: very few things to setup like master-volume, maybe the master EQ and little FX-stuff
    ---------------> The controls on the kemper are enough

If I'm on stage or in the rehearsal room, I would not want anyone to wait for me, while I try out new profiles, which I downloaded to my phone on the way to the gig/rehearsal.

Maybe it's just me but extensive tweaking has to be done at home, where you have the time to do it. And if I feel the urge to go into the rehearsal room alone, to programm my sounds there, well then I can take my laptop with me.

Spid: Maybe someday you can do everything with a tablet, that you can do with a PC right now. As well as one day discs of any kind might become obsolete. But none of this is going to happen in the next 5-10 years.

As the original poster asked for an opinion:
    I made an informed decision here: http://kemper-amps.com/forum/i…page=Thread&threadID=4017
    KPA sounded significantly better to my (then totally unbiased) ears.

For new users, wanting to click on this link, it will produce another "forum" in the adress, which you have to delete. This is a bug in the forum, which has been discussed around here. Just don't be irritated, that it won't work.

Hi, thats not an easy decision! It mostly depends on your needs and the way you like to work.
    The advantages of the Axe II
    - USB Audio
    - nearly endless high quality effects and very advanced routing posibilitys
    - Dual Amping with quad cabs (two in stereo)
    - PC/Mac Editor
    - available footswitch (Kemper will have one too)
    - tonematching lets you match your sound to an isloated guitar track of your favourite artist
    - rackmountable

The advantages of the Kemper
    - profiling actuall amps sounds better than tonematching (IMO)
    - easy and userfriendly interface
    - steady growing library of high quality profiles
    - lower price (1000€ difference in germany)

Of course you will always find someone who will argue over these points, but I think this sums it up quite ok. Depending on how important some of these points are to you, I would make my decision.
    If you choose the Kemper you will need some kind of interface to your mac, since it won't support USB audio, since its hardware is not made for that. The interface could be USB or Firewire. Presonus makes really good interfaces and if you choose the Kemper, you will have some money left for that. ;)
    I guess there will be a PC/Mac editor of some kind, there are many threads in this forum about it.

The Axe is probably the better "All-in-one" unit. Since you can do anything with it and don't need aditional hardware. But its much more complicated to dial in really great sounds.
    If the Amp sound is the most improtant thing to you, I'd go with the Kemper, since no matter how great an axe 2 patch sounds, a great kemper rig, sounds better IMO.
    Stability is a main concern if you're planing to do midisetups of any kind, mostly a live problem atm. The Axe also has some crashing issues with every firmware. Just keep yourself informed online on the "dos & don'ts". (e.g. don't use "&" in a rig name ;) )

Since the Kemper is the less expensive unit why don't you just give it a try? You have money back, so its no risk at all. (If the prices were switched, I'd suggest to try the axe first)
    I can also pretty much guarantee you, if you take the time to get to know either of these units, you will be satisfied with either one. Since they're both great.

Either way, welcome to the board :)

We use the Aviom in-ear monitoring system with a 16 channel mixer box for each musician.

Nice!! Must be one of the advantages of being a pro :D

I actually prefer inear in little locations, where a decent monitoring is nearly impossible. On stages where I'm able to move around I'm a bit torn. Although I really like the advantages of the inear, it feels a bit more rock n roll to hear loud speakers all around you. ;)

But thats a really nice and simple, still very flexible setup you have. Maybe on your next tour you will use the Kemper for the ampsounds and then have the probably ultimate rig :thumbup: