Posts by Steeldom

Btw Radley, I might have overread it, what do you use besides your axe 2 and the mfc. I mean things like, amplification on stage or inear. That kinda stuff.
    I am really interessted in what a touring pro like you uses on stage. :)

Count me in!

It's kind of funny, David Gilmour needed big racks, with tons of stuff that cost bazillions, for the "Marooned" sound. Nowadays all we need is a toaster :thumbup: (well, AFTER ck grants our wish :whistling: )

Um, do any of you who are against the idea actually know about the development process for IOS? Development is $99 per year.

Not wanting to get political here but, can't you see whats wrong with this?
    That is the same as if Kemper would decide that you are only allowed to share profiles over its own database. And only the profiles Kemper approves are allowed to be shared at all. And on top of that, they will charge a regular fee from anyone who is wanting to share a profile.

*C Kemper steps into the room, carrying a basball bat*

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.
    Enthusiasms, enthusiasms... What are mine? What draws my admiration?
    What is that which gives me joy? Baseball! A man stands alone at the
    plate. This is the time for what? For individual achievement. There he
    stands alone. But in the field, what? Part of a team. Teamwork... Looks,
    throws, catches, hustles. Part of one big team. Bats himself the
    live-long day, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and so on. If his team don't field...
    what is he? You follow me? No one. Sunny day, the stands are full of
    fans. What does he have to say? I'm goin' out there for myself. But... I
    get nowhere unless the team wins.

If an ipad editor was possible without a afflicting anyone who hasn't one, I'd say: "Yeah, why not. More possibilitys." But in this case, afaik, ck would need a developers-license from apple, which would make him kind of dependable on the good will of that company.

I can of course totally understand your need to be able to capture ideas AT ONCE, if they strike your mind. I recomend a mobile recorder (like the Sony PCM-M10). For capturing an idea in any situation this is just perfect. And the professional recording has to be done after that, no matter on what device you stored your idea.

I have used an ipad but I found, that I used it for stuff that I could do much more satisfiing with any other gear I have, as an excuse to use it at all and therefore keep it,. So in end I got rid of it. Don't get me wrong I think it is a nice little tool for some situations, mostly surfing, reading and that kinda stuff.
    Believe me, I would never want to talk you out of it, as long as your happy with it. :)

But I'm really concerned about my first point.

I also think a pc and a mac editor are enough. Even that can be troublesome. Look at the Fractalforum. Apparently the axe 2 has connection problems with a mac (seems to be a problem on apples side, not fractals) and fractal is forbidden to make any statement about this. I sure hope that ck won't maneuver his company into this kind of situation.
    Any pro would be furious about this kinderkarten behaviour of a big company like apple. (I'm using a macbook, so I'm not a hater, just a realist.)

I for one hope to be never able to download any kemper editor from the appstore (since I don't like the whole idea). Just a normal installation, like any other software to. And to those, who will use mountain-lion and its (switchable but default) function to only accept software that comes out of the appstore... well sorry, I can't think of anything but: "Only the dumbest calfs choose their slaughter on their own." (don't know exactly how this translates from german ;) )

Hi guys,

heres what I thought of:
    What if the Kemper could profile its own sound? This way you could "add" a stompbox like a screamer or something to an existing profile. Now I know, that you can always make a second profile of your favourite clean amp with a pedal engaged, or use an internal pedal.
    But what if your favourite clean amp is one inside the kemper? And the pedal you have at hand is not? I think this combination is not so unusual as it sounds.
    For example, I have an Engl Tubetoner, which is a tube preamp with multiple chanels. I tried to use it with different tube and solid state poweramps and was never quite happy until I simply plugged it in front of a Marshall JTM 45. That is one hell of a Rock-Sound and a BBE Sonic Stomp in between makes it even better.
    Now I don't have a Marshall JTM 45. To be honest, I don't have any amplifier worth mentioning but there are lots of great clean amps in the Kemper (and on this website and yet to come ;) ). So If I could profile one of them again, with my Engl engaged, I'd have that sound. And it's definitely different, from profiling the Engl itsself and adding a cabinet.
    Other Pedals would work like this as well, there are tons of them out there.
    So you could save your already tweaked profile with whatever pedal/preamp you put in front of it.

That was the first solution I thought of. Now for those of you who already think I'm nuts, it won't get any better :D

The second idea I had was:
    What if we could save an ampprofile as a stomp box? Taking one amps preamp section into another amps preamp or poweramp, I've seen crazier stuff. ;) The settings could be cut down to a minimum, of course we don't need "powersagging" or "pick" in that case. Just basic controls like on the other drive pedals.
    This could be as followed: We can already choose between profiling a dirty or a clean amp. "Drive Pedal" could be the third option. If you choose it, the kemper tells you to choose an existing profile, like a clean amp, which the kemper puts behind the profiling signal chain. (The amp is only so you have something pleasant to listen to) You can then tweak your pedal until it sounds fine. Do the profiling. After this you can compare the new modeled drive pedal to the one you got at your foot, maybe refine it and safe it to one of the user slots.
    This way we would be able to not only get our most loved drive/distortion/fuzz pedals (even a wah-wah at middle position ala "money for nothing") into the kemper. We would also have the ability to do all sorts of crazy preamp-amp combinations.
    We could even "invent" new drive pedals like "A bit of Tubescreamer, into an Engl tubetoner channel two, into a BBE Sonic Stomp". I think I call this one the "SUPER-SONIC-STEELDOM-SCREAMER" :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now what do you think?

Ive mounted mine in a 4 rack SKB case (Mr Pollocks idea) and setting it on an amp stand. Ill post pics tomorrow.

Hi, if you find the time, could you post a pic of your kemper in a rack? I would really like to see what it looks like! And how you mounted it.

If you want to use both the pre/post options of the hd 500 looper you should use its fx loop. Setting would be:
    Guitar -> hd500 guitar in -> hd500 fx send -> kemper guitar in -> kemper main outs -> hd500 fx return -> hd 500 main outs -> Pa

Then all you need in the hd500 is an empty patch with only an fx-loop anywhere in the signal chain and mix of course at 100%.

Do you use the monitor-output of your kemper with an amp to make it loud? Because if you do the setup would be, that you go the other way round. You put the hd500 into the fx-loop of the kemper. And i'd put it after the amp in the X block. Signalchain is as above, only switch "kemper" and "hd500" ;) And in this case you can leave the hd 500 patch totaly naked.
    In this scenario you only have one option, pre or post (no matter what you press on the Hd500) depending on whether you put the fx-loop in the X-Block of your kemper or into one of the stomps.

I hope that helped! I'm from germany so maybe my words are bit messed up on this one... :P

EDIT: Ah I just thought the "4 cable method" should also work. But its a bit more complicated:
    Guitar -> HD500 guitar in -> Hd 500 Fx send -> Kemper guitar in -> Kemper fx send -> HD500 FX return - > HD500 main outs -> Kemper FX return -> Kemper Output (no matter if main or monitor)
    You again need a HD Patch with nothing on in but the fx-loop (mix 100%). The fx-loop of the kemper MUST be in the X-block. That way you'd have both pre and post options of the looper and could still use any output setup the kemper, that you prefer.

I get a similar effect with a volume pedal being in the fx-loop of an amp. You set it, depending on how great you want the gap between rhythm and solo and heel is rhythm, tip is lead. I also have the feeling that it makes the rhythm sound a bit smoother, but that could as well be my imagination :)

Has your KPA frozen on you when playing live?

It's interesting how many guitarists have "imagined" the KPA freezing on them whilst playing live, and how many guitarists have "actually" had the KPA freeze on them whilst playing live. :)

Have some faith, my son, if G-d wants the KPA to freeze on you live then so be it, it was meant to be, it's all pre ordained. :D

Unfortunately thats not the point ;) As a pro touring guitarist Radley has to consider a lot more into his gear than "Oh well, I guess it will work..." If your a hobby musician, semipro or even in the studio, a crash and a long boot afterwards is not the best thing to happen, but one can live with it. But when it comes to playing in front of thousands of people who have payed a lot of money, the game changes a little. Up to a point where your boss (in his case Diamond) can come to him and say: "Well you really are a good guitarist, but on stage I want a reliable guitarplayer with reliable gear." And even if nothing happens, is he supposed to pray in every song "Dear lord, please don't let my gear crash, when I play my next solo" ;)
    So I can totally understand him for not choosing the kemper live yet, since it yet has to proove it's totall reliability. And as I said, as a pro he has to put the interesst of his boss and his music over the fact that he might have different personal preferences. Although I'm pretty sure, from his posts, that he enjoys the unit just as much as everybody else ;)

Of course there is a lot that can go wrong, even the simplest setup can let you down. But on stage I'd try to minimize the risk. And IF there is a total powerdown, PA, stage, everything goes out and dozens of speakers, on a PA with 100000s of watt and 100s of meters of cables are booting faster than my little guitar unit, well then something is wrong.

But this is not about freezing or not freezing. The topic was if the boot time could be shortened :)

Someone in this forum (I don't recall who and where) stated, that the amount of rigs has only a minimal impact on the startup time. If i remember correctly there was about 1 sec difference between 200 and 800 profiles. I'm not 100% sure with the numbers but this has been discussed.

A quicker boot would really be nice. But it has nothing to do with the rigs I guess.

For live use I think it would be helpful if the Kemper would reboot the last setting in a very short time and while you play it, the rest is loaded in the backround. It could display "loading" or something, what would tell you, that you cannot switch rigs or anything else yet. But you could play with the last setting the kemper had before powering down (or crashing down :D )

That would solve a lot i guess...

I think what they were considering was the price. If I just want a simple, small solution to practice at home, there are alternatives. Of course, the kemper is an option. But not everybody can afford a 1500€ bedroom practice amp :)

The one thing that I really love about the KPA and I never noticed with any modelers or digital equipment is how differently it reacts with various guitars.
    Taking a Pod X3 Live as an example, or I could even bring up my Axe Fx Ultra, (which I sold a long long time ago) everything you throw at it more or less sounds the same or very similar. The KPA on the other hand sounds just like an amp would sound with a given guitar.
    So, as of today, the KPA made me change my mind and sell my Ibanez Universe. It helped me to remember how much I hated the tone of guitars equipped with a Floyd Rose or similar solution, and how much I love the tone and feel of fixed bridge guitars. Therefore I'm getting a Gibson Les Paul (possibly a Classic but a Standard would be nice, too), a Fender Strat (probably mexican as I can't really afford a better one) and some random Floyd-equipped superstrat (could be some cheaper Ibanez or a Jackson, I don't know yet) just to have it if I need it.
    Thanks, Kemper, you've just ruined everything for me ;( :D

Instead of fenders you should check out G&L tributes. They are in a similiar price range with Fender mexicans, but IMO still a lot better. (although even they aren't what they used to be)

A digital device needs resources (DSP) to produce and/or reproduce an analog signal. The more accurate we want to be, the more resources we need. That's the reason why a Pod HD does sound better than a Pod 1 or 2, because they include a more powerful DSP. That's also the reason why the Axe-FX II sounds better than the first model because they include a dual DSP, one for the Amp modeling and another one for the rest (cab, stomps, etc..).

I think dsp is only an indicator of what a unit MIGHT be able to to, but not, what it actually can do. Axe-fx and Kemper. As far as I know, the Kemper hasn't got a dsp that is as strong as the axe-fx IIs (and that thing even has two of it). Of course the Kemper can not compete when it comes to fx-quantity or routing possibilitys. But soundwise they are in the same league (with people arguing about which ones better).
    So I think it depends on what the programmers do with the dsp, not only how much it has. In case of the Kemper, it has less than others, but sounds incredibly accurate.

I think sometimes a manufacturer developes a unit that is so unique and powerful, that it will be used, just the way it is, many many years later. POD 2.0 is such a thing, which is still used in studios, many people have one at home. TC Electronics 2290, which hasn't changed a bit since the 80s, because it was just great. (Although unfortunately it is not continued, because they couldn't get the original parts anymore...)
    The Axe-fx as well, up to a point. Since there will be a new version every now and then, it's not exactly the same. But there are many people who are satisfied with the axe 1 and probably still will be in years.
    The Access Virus synthesizer, is another example.

And therefore chances are good, that the Kemper will be one of those units you buy NOW and will still use it with pleasure in 10 years. I certainly hope so.
    I was pleased with my POD x3, then I bought the hd 500 and thought "yes its better, but is it THAT much better?" No! Do I want to refresh my hardware every 18 months, like you stated? Hell, NO! I couldn't afford it and even if I could it wouldn't want to.

And with all the money saved from upgrading every 18 month and buying 1 kemper instead, you might add a delicious tube amp to your collection from time to time, which will increase your kempers value. :thumbup: