Posts by Spid

I always have a really bad timing... considering I had the money ready for it for over a year.
    And now I spent it on something else, my dream Kemper Rack is finally coming.

Well, I need to find out some cash ASAP, because that's definitely my next purchase.

Since that even the bigger one might not be enough to be the main and only foot controller I will need, in that case I'd prefer to go for the smaller one.

However, I do believe that 5 switch is kind of odd number, I just hope we could use the 5th for an "anytime/anywhere boost", which means I could get a boost regardless the preset I'm using (clean, crush, lead, etc...).

But layout wise, yeah, the small one :)

Phil

Thanks Zerocrossing for your great feedback.

One constant I'm sure: I'm gonna get the Kemper when it will be available in rack format.

Another constant: I'm not quite convinced with the Pod HD500 pedalboard format. I do prefer the M13 (even if I loose the Amp & Cab simulation... no big deal, mainly later when I'll get the KPA), or even the Pod HD Pro.

I really love the Mesa Mini Rectifier and TransAtlantic... but I'm gonna still give a try to the DT25 because I really do love the concept (and Bogner stuff). But I'm waiting Summer NAMM... just in case, it's less than 1 month from now. It can't hurt... I still have to bring my PRS to the luthier for some mods (P-Rails, ToneStyler and some wiring :)).

So I guess, once again, I just need to be patient... (I hate to be patient :) :) :))

Phil

Unfortunately I very shamefully know this kind of problem... It's often happen with new company that announce a product that aren't developed yet, to get attention of potential customer and take pre-orders to generate enough cash flow to actually start the development (or even raise some investments).

I've been working in a company that did this (while I was in R&D). It's really not a pleasant situation, because once the investment is there, everything should be done for yesterday... and as we know it, engineering takes quite some time. Customers get pissed off, and nobody's happy.

I don't know if it's the case for DAR and I neither believe it could be the case with Kemper. Christoph is well known in the Music Industry for his serious and KPA are indeed selling like hotcakes. Regardless the situation, we can't know the roadmap and priority list for Kemper. Money doesn't solve everything, you also need to find the right people, good suppliers, etc...

I guess, we just have to be patient... :)

By physics swapping delay and reverb yields the same results.

By physics yes... but unfortunately only by physics.

The sound precision will not suffer.

In digital perfect world yes... but in real analog world with imperfect component and signal path... sound precision suffers and result is definitely not the same by swaping some effects.

Sometimes imperfections make it perfect :)

But without new customers a company can't grow and then can't continue to reward the first customers...

If tomorrow with a rack version, Kemper sell 10 or 50 times more products than currently, they might hire some new people, new engineer and programmer that could work on the firmware and then fix issues and missing things...

We can see it from each side over and over since it's an endless situation where everyone can see it the way they want to see it, from a very egoist point of view, without thinking large and big picture. Only the manufacture can actually do that, because they get the numbers from sales, marketing, R&D, tech support (and customer care), etc..

Only Kemper could really know what they think is the best for them for the next months. Every other comments (including mine) are just useless and not objective at all.

2 different Rig in the same time... to switch between one and the other or even run them together in parallel (with different pan, effects and settings)... I say: AMEN to that...

I'm used to use a Mark V and a Fender Twin in Parallel (with the G-System to control them) and it's so great to have sometimes a clean sound with some delay on one side and a little crunch sound on the other... Or sometimes even have one for the low aggressive sound and the other for the more kicking top ends, etc... Or even use the second amp as a "Boost" channel to bring a little bit more depth in the sound... Well, endless possibilities and interest.

If we can do that without buying two KPA... that would be awesome! (I don't buy twice a same product... if we can't do it, I'd prefer to have one KPA and another device (let's say a Axe)... to get most benefits of both products).

Phil

It's all about priority... even for users :)

I'm quite sure, the ones who already own a KPA "Head" would prefer more features, firmware update, bug fix, etc... while the ones who don't own the KPA "Head" and are waiting about the Rack (the guy just like me :)) might just prefer to get the rack first and then complain about features, firmware, bug fix, etc...

But in the end, it just depends of Kemper Roadmap and priorities... Like any manufacture (in our monetary system), they want as much customers as possible. That one way to get enough money to run the company, as well invest in R&D (or even consolidate some research done to make the product happen). And I'm quite sure they're not gonna comment on this subject and give any information about potential future product (or not).

I'm might be off on this one, but I'm quite convinced Kemper surely invest a lot of time and money in R&D for the "Profiling" system (algorithm, coding, etc...) as well as the current KPA parts (I/O and PCB design, firmware, etc...). So, they surely want to sell as much as KPA "Head" right now to help to consolidate their investment and grow to a point that will allow them to develop other project (regardless if it's the power-amp option, the foot controller, the rack version or even something they have in mind that nobody could think about *right now*).

So, unless they are very confident about their finance (or the product is coming very soon), they should have no chance for them to tell us if they're gonna release a rack version anytime soon... Because, it could hold some customer to buy it and then reduce their sales, and by definition reduce their finances... which could limit the R&D budget and their capacities to develop any next product.

I can't remember the name of the company, but it happens to a company that did announce too early that would release a "better" product in future... and then customer just stop to buy the current model and in the end the company just went bankruptcy because they didn't get enough incomes to complete the next product development.

In conclusion: Everyone has his/her own priority... but in this case, only the Kemper one if the one that matters and we're not gonna know it. So, the only thing we've got left is to wait and hope for something we want to come next :)

My 2 cents,
    Phil

It takes more time than you think. They have to design it. Think about logistics. Source parts. Tool up . Build the run.

Trust me, I do know how long it takes for both design, engineering, manufacturing, logistics, distribution, etc... it's my day job and has been for several years now in the Music Industry.

And from what I saw so far, I don't see why it would take over a year to get it done (unless it's definitely not a priority or they are completely redesigning the boards).

Phil

It can't be true... seriously?!

It doesn't take decades to design a metal chassis... mainly since I saw the inside of a KPA (from a youtube video), it looks like the switch electronic PCB is already mounted to the front panel and the DSP board looks to be on the bottom... so you don't need to change much to have it done in 19" rack, except if they are redoing it to improve some features... such connectors, or faster booting time (that I'd prefer to an additional battery solution), etc...

I just hope not, because it's gonna be a lonnng time to wait... there's no way I'm gonna buy the current "Head" version...

We'll see mid-july for the Summer NAMM... we might have some news... (let's cross fingers :))

Phil

If I were you though, I wouldn't buy a thing until you get your hands on a KPA though. The included effects are very good.

Thanks for the feedback but I'm not gonna buy the KPA "Head" right now.
    I'm waiting for the rack version and it might not happen before end of the year I guess (Winter NAMM?).
    If the Rack is available in July (Summer NAMM?), that's another story. It's typically a trade show more guitar oriented, so I'm gonna wait until then before to buy anything.

I'm also having a look on some small amps (Orange Dark Terror, Egnater Tweaker, Mesa Mini Rectifier and TA-15) that could be a good temp solution and "B-Rig". I'm also considering the DT25 just because I like the concept and Bogner (we have a Shiva at the studio and I like it too). But again Line6 and Amp... The only Line6 products I liked really so far was the DL4, FM4, MM4, etc... And that's why I'm looking at the M13, they're supposed to have these effects too. Does anyone actually tried and compare a DL4 and a M13/M9 for these effects?

If they worked well with the KPA like it might be the case from everything I read here, that might be a good solution (I like the 3x5 layout, very "stomps" approach, and not "foot controller" like the HD500 thought, but it doesn't matter much). Thanks for the feedbacks anyway, I appreciate it.

I'm still gonna keep some pedal, and even buy some new ones... I'm lately keeping an eye on the Strymon and the Tech 21 Sansamp series. (I tried the Oxford and Liverpool and I liked them). That's also because I'm gonna keep them (for sure for home and studio use), even when I'll get the KPA Rack, that I'm looking at them *right now*.

The main question is: Will I keep them for stage situation?

Sorry for being talkative, but it's really a point I'm struggling because now I know what the KPA is capable of, I wish I could use it live too and get some benefits we can get in studio. But I have hard time to be sure of it, for both stomps/effects, as well as the power-amp and cab situation (i.e. my other post). I'm a "modern" kind of guy, who likes digital, VST plugins and all modern technologies... but when it comes to guitar territory, I don't know why, but I always have been a kind of "tube amp snob" and "analog stomps only".

And from everything I tried so far, I had a good reason to be. The KPA is really the first device I'm really liking for "Tube Amp Simulation"...

I wish someone would release a "Stomps/Effects Rack" that can profile, clone, model (whatever technology would be used) to reproduce at 99.9% any stomps and/or effects on the market... typically, having what the KPA does for the Amp... but for the Stomps/Effects.

My 2.5 cents :)
    Phil

Thanks for the feedback guys... I indeed like the effects of the G-System, and that's why I would consider the Nova System in the Loops to get similar Reverb and Delays effects. It's cheaper than the G-System and more than enough since I wouldn't use the G-System as a Foot Controller, nor a Audio looper. So the Nova System might just be great for Post Effects.

And for Pre-Stomps, I was looking at the M13 for drives, chorus, flanger and so other "creative" effects to complete the Kemper. Since I'm waiting for the Kemper Rack, I thought I could still buy the effects first and still use them later. But if they're not good at all, I'd prefer not buy it at all and consider the Effect Gizmo with some pedals, or even considering the Axe-2 as I was thinking few months ago (using 4CM). But it's considerably more expensive than the Nova System & M13 :)

In any case, I would like better the M13 over the Pod HD, because I like the form factor better and I don't care much about Amp&Cab simulations. I do think the Kemper does way better in that category. I still have few other effect racks (11R, Digitech and some old Boss, Art, etc...) but I might just keep them at home for a smaller and lighter rig :)

If I could do so with the pedals, that would size down the stage setup. I wish someone would do a KPA video to review the different effects :)

Just thinking out loud...

I was wondering how good or bad the Line6 HD-500 / M9 / M13 effects could be?

Typically, I don't really like Line6 stuff to be honest. But it seems that the M-Series and HD-Series look to have good reputation for some effects. I don't care much about Amp and/or Cab simulation, I'll get the Kemper for that, but I was wondering how good it could be to have a M13 in-front for some stomps (such drive, chorus, etc..)... in addition of a Nova System in the Audio loops for the Effects (such Reverb, Delay, etc...).

I know the TC quality (I've been using a G-Sytem at the studio), but does anyone have any good (or bad) experience with the M13/M9 or HD-500 effects?

Thanks!

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your feedback.

I just think you missed a point because you can have 4 presets and have another 4 with the Rig X/Y, and still keep using the stomps & effects switches.

If you only want to use preset, you can just go on the next page and have up to 12 presets for a Rig and up to 2 Rigs per Bank if it's really what you really want. Other guys that would just love to have access to a large number of stomps & effects switches, could still use another page for 12 stomps, or another page for 12 Effects, and even some custom pages...

So you can get your "sounds" by using presets (like the modern multi-effects), or by simple audio loops on/off (like the old school pedals).

4 expression pedals could be connected to the controller and will be mounted as a "modular" attached bloc like already talked on another thread :)

Phil

...but as CK says, technology can't improve the algorithm.
    A more powerful processor can't improve the algorithm.

A more powerful processor might allow another better algorithm... even if the "current one" can't be improved, it doesn't mean there's no room for improvement.

It neither means the current KPA is not good at all. I can see few areas where it could be better... some might be fixed by firmware update, some might need a hardware upgrade.

Few exemple? The first one is the booting time... I want something that is starting in less than 5 or 10 seconds max. Also, I would like a Stomps audio loops and an Effect stereo loops for better integration with other gear. I also which it would include a loadbox to be able to Profile an Amp only without any external tools.

Nonetheless, if they want the KPA to be used live (and not only studio / home-studio), I need some features such dual amps (X/Y) Rigs.

There's also some areas perhaps not possible today such: profiling of stomps or even cabs... that could perhaps be possible in feature with new algorithms.
    After all, what we could not profile any stomps since we can analyze input signal (that reproduce every nuances from a guitar) and output signal... You like a great chorus pedal, just plug it in, profile it and you can use it... done. It might sound "no doable" today, with today's technologies and thoughts... but nobody knows about the future.

10 years ago, we would hear someone talking about "profiling Tube Amp", we would have say: it's not possible... So, it might take quite some time, but there's no thing I'm sure: there's absolutely nothing in the analog world that can't be reproduced in the digital world.

However, even if I'm convinced new products could happen in future, I'm still gonna buy the KPA Rack because it will still be good for what it is. And I choose to wait for the Rack version, because I don't want to spend twice the money on the "same" sound/product. I prefer instead, invest on some stomps, some external effects, etc... When I will have everything in my racks, I will have no problem to use it at home, in studio, or even on stage...

Due to the current economy, I clearly doubt people will buy both...

Phil

I don't think it depends on the audience size, BTW.

Well, I did reference to the audience size, because in front of thousand of people, (in my head) I think you have more chance to play a structured setlist of songs... and not only do half a hour of blues jam with some friends and few drunk people in a bar (well, you get the picture :)).

I might be wrong, but people who wants more than 4 stomps are probably the ones who think about their Rig and ideal Kemper Foot Control like a traditional pedalboards, with half a dozen or more of stomps pedal (maybe 2 different drive, a comp, octaver, wah, flanger, phaser, chorus, delay, boost, etc...).

Of course, there's almost no chance to use all of them in the same time... that's why I like the approach of the Line 6 M13 (12 stomps, with 4 in the same time, with a very simple layout). I just don't know how good or bad it could be... typically I don't like much Line 6 (sorry :)). But if the sounds is good, it might solve some problem and I might just use it with a Nova System (in the Kemper Effects Loop).

(I saw the new Vintage Revolution PedalPro, but the pedalboard looks like a crap and it's way over-priced... but the concept is nice to have 14 analog pedals).

In the other hand, it would be stupid to not use the Kemper for its potential for the stomps and effects...

Just thinking out loud :)

Phil

Well, I agree with you bd. In any case, I'm gonna buy the Kemper to be use in the studio and at home... but I was also thinking that if I can just purchase the poweramp and a cab, it would be a perfect device to be use for small venues, bars or even to jam with some friends and would light me a lot to not carry-on heavy stuff :)

However, due to my past experience with isolated box, I know that's not what I'm looking for... So if it's the case, I better to not invest in the poweramp and FRFR cab.

Since I'm doing 90% of studio work, I do know the impact of mic choices, placement of the mic or even the cab in the room, etc... That's why I think the Kemper will be PERFECT to "capture" the sound I want on the record, and I will do a Profile for every single session. That way, if an artist wants to re-record some part of a song we did 2 or 3 weeks ago, I will just load the profile. So don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the KPA at all.

But since I never had any real success with modeling (11R, Pod, Digitech, etc...) with real amp, I'm just more sceptic about the sound you get "in the room".

In any case, I'm gonna run some test (with loadbox, IR, etc..) when I will get the Kemper Rack (The KPA is arrived at my friend's studio, but I'm waiting myself for the rack version for home).

Anyway, thanks all for your comments and suggestions and your very important feedback.

Phil

I don't want to be disrespectful, but you react just like the Kemper would be different from having a real amp with a mic'd cab on stage (such the AxeTrak or equivalent). I personally don't know how it could be possible.

So in that case, in few time for very small venue, we already tried to have Monitoring (RCF) only for the guitarist with the amp running to a closed mic'd cab and it was good for the audience, but not at all for the guitarist. The feeling wasn't there and it was missing something...

That's the reason why I'm asking for the cab situation for "live usage"

I cannot imagine that you will use 8 buttons for effects and a boost in a single rig.

Because you're not thinking the way other do. I explain myself:

There's some people (like me) that don't necessary want 500 Profiles and Rigs in their Kemper. They might wish to have less than 10 Rig that will be the 10 Amps we would like to use.

And then the only thing we would need is some good Stomps and Effects we can turn on and off depending what we want, just like we could currently do with regular Amps.

I know it might sound "vey old school" but not everyone play gig in front of thousand of people, with a setlist of songs. During an evening, I don't go to the amp all the time to change settings, I don't try to change the drive of my TS, etc... I just turn on and off the pedals, switch between Amp channels, and sometimes switch from the Mark V to the Fender Twin, etc... but that's pretty much it.

In that case, having the most control on what we can turn on and off is important. That's why :)

Phil

Well, I don't think it's that easy... having the mic'd sound is what the audience hear... on large venue only. On a small gig, there's no need for mic at all and the audience get the full sound.

Then, a keyboard, drums, singer, etc... don't get their sound from the cab. For a guitarist, the cab is almost as important as the amp for the sound. If you'd capture just the amp without the cab, it would just sound like crap.

Nonetheless, the Kemper Profiles are the results of mic'd sounds... which is perfect for studio use, because it's what you hear on the record.

But when I play a real amp in a room, it doesn't sound at all like what you hear on a record, because there's not only 1, 2 or even 3 mics to capture the sound.
    So I'm not familiar with the FRFR cab, but I just find hard to understand how the Kemper could capture and re-create all sounds definitions you get from an Amp & Cab when you play in the room, when the profile has been done with only a portion of the sound.

From my understanding, it's like if you sample 4 seconds of a song and you say you could re-play the entire 4 minutes of the song... Well, I guess that would be true for these 4 seconds, but you'd miss some parts.

And it's not because it's the one of the solution most pro for large venues decided to adopt that it's the best one... I'm not playing for 25,000 people, never did and will probably never do. The only real solution I see is to profile the Amp only with a loadbox (such the Torpedo or so). I've been thinking about it. That way I would understand... full signal from the amp. And then we could use a real cab on stage... That would make more sense in my head :)

I might be completely wrong, but that's how I understand it and that's why I'm asking the question :)

Phil