Posts by Spid

Well, more CPU power is only needed for running more CPU-hungry algorithms.

Axe II has got more CPU than Axe I because Fractal needed to write more complex algorithms for improving the sound quality. Unless Kemper discover a more CPU-demanding algorithm that noticeably improves profiling or playback performance, there's no need for more processing power.

Again, it's nothing to do with comparing the Axe and the Kemper (it's a non-sense comparison just like Apples and Oranges).

As said, it all comes down to the only one question: How close and accurate do you want it and can hear it?
    (not between the Axe and the Kemper, but between a real Amp and the Kemper)

From some demo I heard, there was still some distinction from the original amp and the Kemper (of course, don't get me wrong, it's very tiny... and actually it looks to be the tiniest one I heard so far... but it might still be there. To really confirm it, I'm waiting to test it in real situation). Chasing the very last percentage of accuracy is always requesting a lot of efforts (from very complex algorithms and then DSP power). That's for this unique reason we might see in a future an Axe III, an Eleven Rack II, a Pod HD II, a Torpedo II, and even a KPA II, etc... several years from now.

However, even if there's still a place for improvements right now, it will pretty soon reach maturity because technologies are catching up with human beings; By 2020, a regular consumer computer will got more processing power than the human brain...

Well, you misunderstood what I wrote. I haven't say you will need to buy (or even there will be) a new Kemper every 18 months. I'm saying that technologies increase and double the power every 18 months. That's Moore's Law.

As you said yourself, the Axe might allow to have more effects, routing, etc... it's mainly related to the DSP power (so related to Moore's Law).
    With more power you can get more stuff and/or some more complex stuff (which ends with more accurate). Hardware is one thing and talented software programmers is another one... of course. So it's not about to compare one device to another one... But to compare one device from a manufacture from a next device from the same manufacture.

Your example about the Line 6 products is great. And sorry if it will hurt some, but I do think the first Pod just doesn't sound good at all to me and to my ears, even if it has been used for several years in studios... just like has been used also some old stuff such Art, Digitech and Zoom. It doesn't mean it was replacing a real amp. If it's used for some chorus, flanger, delay... it's all good, even some 80's devices were already good for that. But when it comes to distortion, tube, that's another story.

Then, has said, it all comes down to one question: How close do you want it and you can hear it?

If you can't hear any differences, you will probably use the device for a long time... but you aren't satisfied, you will try the next thing that might sound better to you. I personally haven't been completely convinced by the Axe 1. It's great for effects though, but it was still missing something.

But I'm a very picky guy and that's why I haven't buy the Kemper Amp yet and I will prefer to test it in real situation in my studio to know if it's really as good as it seems to be in video. But regardless how picky I could be, one day or the other, a digital device will be so close than no human beings on earth could tell the difference between the original and the copy, even for tube amps.

And at this point, regardless how technologies will still continue to increase, it will bring nothing more for the users. What would be the point... running 100's of Stomps and dozen of Amps in the same time... that would be just useless, so the technology will come to maturity and will "well enough" to remove any need for a new hardware... only software updates will be sufficient. It's already starting to be the case with product like the Axe, KPA, etc...

I don't know if the Kemper Amp is already this "Perfect" device thought, but if it is not, we're pretty close and just few years away to discover it.

Phil

PS: And regarding the Virus Synth, that's another story. It doesn't try to reproduce a current and existing analog synth, so it doesn't matter how accurate it could be, there's no reference point. The TR-808 was nothing like a real drums and drummer... and it's what it was supposed to reproduce thought. That's what was used at the time because it was limited by the technology and it became its own sound category by now, just like the Rhodes or CP80 weren't very close to the Piano sound, the Mellotron wasn't close to the strings and flutes sounds, etc...

Oh, it's not about how solid it could be and last... but more about the sound. For in that domain, it's a very simple equation.

A digital device needs resources (DSP) to produce and/or reproduce an analog signal. The more accurate we want to be, the more resources we need. That's the reason why a Pod HD does sound better than a Pod 1 or 2, because they include a more powerful DSP. That's also the reason why the Axe-FX II sounds better than the first model because they include a dual DSP, one for the Amp modeling and another one for the rest (cab, stomps, etc..).

Back in the first digital devices, they weren't that much powerful, and then not as close as an analog signal (real tube amp), because to sound *right*, you need to include imperfections because Tube (as any Analog device) aren't perfects and do have variations behaviors that makes the sound to be non-linear.

But there's one major rule in technology: The Moore's Law that said that a processing device double its power every 18 months. We all know that in computer systems, more and more powerful. Digital Amp Simulator are exposed to this exact same rule. And the more power we get, the closer to a real device it will sound.

So the only last question in the equation is: How close do you want it?

Because, it comes to a point that a users can't hear any differences because he's limited by the human being's own limits. Even the best of the best musiciens or sound engineers will have a point he can't make a difference between two signals. It's like if you have your screen to read this message, you can see differences between each words, now step back 10 feet, can you still read it? Some yes, some no... Ok, now step back 100 yards from the screen, can you even see the screen with your naked eye? I don't think so...

Digital devices (from Analog Synth, to Amp simulation, etc...) will go to a point the embedded power will be sufficient enough to be as close to the real devices they're reproducing than any human being couldn't tell which one is the original and which one is the copy.

I think the KPA is really close to this point... and if sometimes we can still hear some differences, there's no doubt than 18 months or 36 months from now, it will be even better and even closer that will eliminate the last tiny things we could still hear now.

And no worries about the evolution of the human being, the human genome is progressing over millions of years, not 18 months :) So Technology is progressing way faster than the human being and we're standing just right at the moment where the technology is catching with the human being.

So with this question out of the equation, there's absolutely no any difference regarding the future of an Analog device (such a Tube Amp) and the future of a Digital device (such the Kemper).

Sorry for being long, but I wanted to bring the whole explication instead to just affirm it.

Phil

Great solution for the Boost... it would be more than enough.

just to keep track, this is what my favorite kemper green (uni-sex) controller would look like now... and to warm up an old thought - a modular system (OPTIONAL!!!) with one or two expression - pedals would be cool for sure...

[Blocked Image: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8557148/fotos/_transfer/temporary/KFC_c3.gif]

Nice design, but I have one thing that bother me...(the same way it bother me to only have 3 Loops switches on the G-System that have 5 Audio Loops)

I want to independently turn on/off stomps pedals with the I, II, III, IV switches, but how can we do it for Effects? (I do believe that 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 are for Presets, right?... why 5 btw, it's really odd). I do believe we can have several control behind the I, II, III, IV switches, but I need independent controls for Stomps and for Effects.

Is that something you plan to have or not at all?
    If not, in my case that's a no-no.

Phil

Don't get frustrated if your idea seem not to fit The Plan: like Guitarnet wrote, keep good ideas coming if you have any! :thumbup:

Be assured I'm not frustrated at all... It doesn't change what I think about the KPA which for the Amp Profiling, already convinced me.
    All Stomps, Effects and "side" features are just a bonus. Having a Rack version would be very important though, as well as the optional Amp module.

No problem neither lilihahn, you haven't been rude at all and I didn't take it that way. I understand technical limitation for the looper, so as said: let's forget it :)
    I will probably have some ideas in future (and probably even more when I will get my KPA). I have some already now, but they are related to "memory" such Step Sequencer Gate... I wish to know the limitations to perhaps focus my ideas on what's doable, but I do believe it's probably confidential.

Phil

Spid: don't get me wrong, that was just my opinion. I respect your ideas and believe a lot of people would like something like that, just not me. No bad feeling and you're not bothering me, new ideas are always welcome. :thumbup:

No hard feeling at all. We're all here discuss as perfect gentlemen (something I appreciate in comparison to a lot of forums).
    Trust me, I do understand musiciens are all different with different needs. So, I'm listening and understanding everyone.

And I even more respect people who already own and use a KPA. Which is not my case... yet. I just want to be sure, it will fit my needs (for the Amp and profile point of view there's no doubt) but as well as maybe the fact to be and become my center piece, and remove the need for anything else. I was seeking for the G-System (that I already use at the studio) with a M13 or Pod HD Pro and I was lurking on the Axe-FX II... So the KPA got my attention and could probably change things (such a G-Major 2 instead the G-System if the KFC can fit my need or if I use something else, etc...).

So, I'm just thinking out loud about current and potential (future) features of the KPA (which anyway I would prefer in Rack since I already have other stuff such the Eleven Rack and old stuff such Art, Boss and Digitech in rack).

Regarding ideas, Kemper Team probably likes better to have their own as mentioned in kilihahn response. As a manufacture point of view, I do understand why, mainly if you have a roadmap and need to stay focus on your current "wish/to-do list". So once again, no hard feeling ;)

Phil

Oh, ok... I was just trying to bring and share some thoughts and ideas (that I thought could be good) and maybe help to make users even more happy than they already are. Apparently, that's not the case...

The reason I wish an "All-in-one" solution is dictated by one of my main concern regarding the KPA and usage.
    I don't mind to have external devices (for the Looper or anything else), but only if I could get let say 4 or 5 external loops I/O like the G-System.
    Without, the KPA can't be the main center piece, so it means I will need something else and use the KPA as a "Amp" only... What about the integrated Stomps and Effects then...

I'm just a bit confused about that and that's also why I'm seeking for other Foot Controller (from the G-System I already know well for having it at the studio, to the Ground Control, Liquid Foot and others...). And if I need a more advanced Foot Controller, Audio Loops Switcher, etc... why should I care about the KPA Foot Controller at all then?All I need is a complete and full Midi Integration, just like someone (I can't remember the name) already mentioned it. All I thought is that having everything in a single unit, would simplify a lot... Less gear, better integration, easier to use and even cheaper in the end. That's the reason of my thinking.

But don't get me wrong, I completely understand you surely have another thinking and vision (that I don't know and perhaps even don't share) for the future of KPA. I respect them, you surely have good reasons for.

Sorry then, let's forget it and don't worry I got it and won't bother you with my ideas...

Phil

Hi guys,

Since the discussion for the Foot Controller, I'm thinking about the "Looper" feature and how it could be include and make the KPA even better.
    Everyone is different, so please, don't toss me a stone if you don't like the idea, just elaborate on why it wouldn't be great for you and what you would like better :)

Just to illustrate my thinking, I attach the draft I did (because it has 3 rows instead). Note it could also work with 2 rows of switches.

[Blocked Image: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7088/7130461811_8b1915b9f6.jpg]

Let's say we have a "Looper" switch on the Foot Controller as well as the Stomps, Effects and/or Presets switches (let's called them: 1, 2, 3, 4)
    On the LCD screen we could see the feature of these switches (Intro/Chorus/Verse for the Presets and/or Pedal type for the Stomps, etc...)

If we simply press "Looper" (Maybe Press-hold for 1 second if you prefer??), we will enter in the Looper Mode, and we will get on the screen: Record, Stop/Play, Back to Zero and Undo and it will be used by the 1,2,3,4 switches.

The Looper will get 8 "Tracks" with the XMDR and ABCD switches. Let's use the first track and press Record, you play the guitar and press record again (just like any Looper) now it goes on for ever until you press Stop/Play. You can start it again if you Stop/Play again.

You can of course undo a take by pressing undo. If you want add more stuff on this track, just press Record and it will over-write (non-destructive with the undo button).

Back to Zero will just help you to "play from start" on-the-fly... (maybe we could use the Tap for that feature if you want another important feature I forgot).

If you select another of the 8 Tracks, you can record something else. If you want change your sounds (or even presets), you can just press "Looper" to go back to your Rig setup, add a stomps, add some effects, etc... and go back to the Looper (even if it's playing).

So what's the point to have 8 Tracks would you say?

The point if that we could build some Sequence with the Bank/Song switches. If you press "Bank/Song Next", the Looper will go on, but we can remove/add some Tracks and have another Loop. If you have 2 Tracks on the first Sequence, and 3 Tracks on the second one, you can just go from one to one by pressing the Bank/Song switch and then have different Loop with different stuff... and even build different kind of song structure.

(For the ones who knows, it would be similar of Ableton Live)

To turn on/off (Mute/Play) a Track we can just press-hold one of the 8 Tracks switches... (or use the Booster as a Mute page and then simple press on one of the 8 tracks switches. You tell me what you think is the best)

In few words, it wouldn't be a simple Looper, but an advanced 8 synced Loopers, with different Sequences where you can mute/play the Loopers.

What you think?

Phil

In my first thought, the "Boost" was an overall configurable volume you can setup for each Bank/Song.

For instance, you can have a +5 db for one Song, but for the other one you might need a +10 db boost.
    And the boost is acting regardless the "Presets/Memory/Channels" you are.

Since it would have an option menu to adjust the value, why not having the other 2 options for the Amp Gain increase and/or Distortion pedal on.

I haven't thought about it, but having the boost that could allow to switch from a 9 o'clock gain to a 12 o'clock gain on the Amp Profile, that could be very useful too, I can definitely see it. So now it more depends on "how hard would it be to implement these options".

Note: Regarding the "edition", I was thinking we could use one of the external pedal as the "Value Pedal", which means you can adjust value of things you're selecting. For instance, if you select the Distortion, you could adjust the drive... Or, we could also have a foot switch/knob like the G-System. Nonetheless, the configuration of the Boost feature could be setup directly on the KPA and saved with the Song...

Just thinking out loud :)

Phil

Am I alone? I don't want to keep buying controllers for every device that comes out. Line6, then AXE and now Kemper. Enough.

What a great question... I'm gonna just give my own case, that's the only one I really know :)

I don't own an Axe FX II, neither a Pod... I do have an Eleven Rack though, but that's mainly because I bought it for my small ProTools at home (right before version 9 that can work with any interface now). I never bought a foot controller for it, since I never really use much the Eleven Rack for anything other than my ProTools rig at home...

So now, I'm seeking for the Kemper Amps, for few main reasons:

1) I think it apparently does sound freaking good and very close from the real thing
    2) It's half the price of an Axe-FX 2
    3) I already have a bunch of amps at the studios and I could just profile them and use them at home
    4) I could profile any amp setup for any recording session and have a solution to quickly do some reamping, new recording, etc...
    5) I love the looks... it's not the prime criteria (sound is), but it's always better if you like the look of the product you use
    6) I have been using Virus Synths on several productions I did (including one for a pussycat doll's kimberly song) and I love them, great quality, very serious and effective... so I believe Christoph will have the same professionalism about the KPA that he had for the Virus so far...

It's surely and probably not your criterias, but that's mine and that's why I want a KPA now. Since it will be the amp I will use everywhere (home, studio, stage, etc...), I even hope to have the Amp option, reducing the need for any external stuff.

Since I don't have any foot controller yet, I did look for the Liquid Foot (from FAMC), the Ground Control (from Voodoo Lab) as well as the G-System (we have one at the studio)... and there's with any doubt, probably a dozen more models.

But I don't want to spend as much for a Foot Controller as for the KPA by itself. I want something affordable, easy to use (efficient on stage), that work seamlessly with the KPA. I won't use it to control anything else, so an affordable and reliable solution for the KPA would make sense to me.

I'm sure a LF+ 8 or 12 would probably be a killer solution and it might be a better solution for the guys with a lot of gear, very complex rig, etc... Who knows, it might be the case for me later (I doubt since I'm more a keyboard player and I'm not such a great guitar player though), but for now, a very simple but complete, efficient but affordable and designed to work in perfect symbiosis with the KPA... yeah!

However, I do agree a good bidirectional communication to have foot controller such the Liquid Foot to have full integration with KPA, that would be great... Or even something such the Line6 M13 and be able to see the Stomps Pedals info and values and edit them from the foot controller... why not :)

Here's why, some people, could be interested by a dedicated KPA Foot Controller, at least that's my reasons and only mine. Everyone's different and I understand why people would prefer a full blown Midi/HUI/EuCon... or even CopperLan integration :)

My 2 cents,
    Phil

All I hope is an Amp option, let's say between a 30W with a 5 and 15W mode; that would be great for me.
    In that case, I wish we could just remove the Cab in the Profile...

Then the top bonus would be to profile Amps only, without the cab and without the need of external loadbox... (I know, users always want more, more and more features for less, less and less money). But I'd accept to pay a little bit more the "Amp option" if it also be used as loadbox... and then complete the concept to be the Amp you can use the way you want without the need of anything else... but an Amp to Profile :)

My 2 cents,
    Phil

Hi Don,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I really appreciate some feedbacks like yours.
    I know the Andertons video and already watched it... twice :)

What I was indeed trying to know, as Zappledan clearly explains, is to know if the profile will respect the different pickups and if the profile will be close enough with another guitar.

From what I heard so far, the Kemper Amp looks to be very very close to the original amp, probably close enough for me to use it in a mix, even for a major project. I was just hoping the profile is made in a way there's no need to redo a "refinning" for each guitar. Apparently not, and that's a great news.

I hope to get my hands on a unit as soon as possible and test it in real situation in the studios, even if I'm already convinced I want one :)

Phil

Hi guys,

I'm not _yet_ a Kemper Amp owner, but I will be with not doubt. It's the very next thing on my wish list.
    But until then, I spend a lot of time on the internet to watch all videos, to listen some demos, etc...

I wish I could find some HD videos or audio of A/B files between the real amps and the kemper profiles... but I was also wondering, how close a Kermper profile could be from a real amp with a different guitar?

Apparently (correct me if I'm wrong), the refine process depends of the guitar? So, how close is the kemper amp with different guitars on the same Profile?

I'm quite sure a lot of (potential) future owners would love to be able to download some 24bits/44.1kHz A/B files to listen and compare them :)

Any thoughts?

Phil

Hi Elvastinen,

I'm exactly in the same situation than you. The Kemper Amp is actually the very next thing on my wish list... (I just bought a new guitar first :))
    So, I'm spending a lot of time to watch videos, listening demos, etc...

I found a very interesting 1 hour video made by the guys from Andertons:

[YOUTUBE]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/YOUTUBE]

Phil

Well, I completely understand the need for Performance organization that makes a mix between the "old school" method (with Channel and A/B Rig Selectors), and the "new school" method with tons of Bank/Presets.... mainly because we don't want to be scared to use something "too new" and want to keep some familiar usage, but introduce some "new features" to progress...

I will use the little draft I did for the Foot Controller to illustrate my words (but it could probably be true to any other foot controller).

My idea behind the layout is based on a classic Rig with your channel selector (most of the time 2 or 3, but since I don't like odd numbers I used 4).
    On any channel you can use the "Boost" (you can adjust for the song, +5db, +10db, etc...)
    Each "Channel" (Memory) can have different settings, as well different pedals turned on/off... but with the same Amp, EQ and Cab.

So you can get a B Rig with the A/B Rig selector, where you can have the same, or a different Amp, EQ, Cab, with 4 new memories and a boost.
    And that would be saved as a "Bank/Song". So you could typically have up to 8 Presets per Bank/Song.

To keep the Midi CC compatible and easy, we can bet on a 127 Banks/Songs (well enough for a concert)... that makes up to 1024 Presets/Channels, but with an "old school" approach with a selector, a boost and an A/B switch.... and a "new school" approach with the Bank Up/Down (combined with the Preset Selectors).

I have no doubt, some of us might just use only 1 Bank/Song for the entire concert, and use the Stomps and Effects On/Off Switches, as well the 8 channels... It might sound very "dinosaur way", but it might be the best solution for an easy and smooth transition from the "old school" to the "new school" :)

My 2 cents,
    Phil

Well, the foot controller is just a bunch of switches... All features (Rig memories, A/B Stack, ABCD/XMDR, Tuner and even the Looper) are features in the KPA. So there's no reason to have an important price increase between a model with 15 switches and a model, let say, with 20 switches.

The Foot Controller would be expensive if it would have audio path I/O, etc... but that won't be the case (even not midi), so it shouldn't be a problem.

You don't want to come up with a looper function a year from now, but have sold 500 foot controllers with layouts that won't work for looper controller.

Makes complete sense... But since the KPA can receive so much new features in future by firmware updates, and since maybe "new functions" might come with the time, we can't know everything that we really want.

That's the reason why I think and propose it could be great to use the "Looper" button for basic start/stop the looper... and if we hold it then the 4 switches under the screen, normally used for XMDR Effects could receive features about the Looper. The features name will appear on the screen... By doing so, you can ever add/remove/change some features on the screen without redoing the foot controller design (and/or labels marking)

This is a kind of Alternative features for the top row switches when you press-hold another switch :)

What do you think about that? Would it work for you?

Phil

In a similar idea, I did a little draw for a KPA Foot Controller proposal (I don't know if I did post it in the right thread thought).

I only had my graphics, but it could of course be made by using the current black draft, it doesn't matter.
    And I used the ABCD and XMDR names to an easier understanding to refer to what KPA users know and can read on the Amp front panel.

The big difference is the fact to have the dedicated row for the Stomps and another one for the Effects. I would like to turn on/off a delay and reverb, independently from the compressor, tube screamer, etc... I also had the A/B to easily switch between two rigs, a Loop to always be able to start the Looper or a Sequence.

And when you hold A/B, you can actually turn on/off the Amp, EQ, Cab and Master of your Rig Stack.

The Boost could be active on any of the 1,2,3,4 positions.
    Inputs would allow to change the Input (Strat/Les Paul) and if you hold it for 2s you're in Mute/Tuner.

You could access to most on the far right side, most of the important features such: Mute/Tuner, Loop, Next Song, Tap
    At the bottom you will get your Clean, Crunch, Solo, etc... (or Intro, Verse, Bridge, Chorus, with the Boost for Solo)

I hope you like it... because I do. And I might not have the KPA yet, but there's no doubt I will get one... ever more with a Foot Controller like this one :)

Phil