Posts by PalleSchultz

Hi guys
    I have some feedback from Kempers support, after I send them the affected RIG. In short the solution seems to load an unaffected version of the same amp profile, save it, and load it into the affected RIG.

Here's their reply:

We investigated this issue and partly understand what's going on. We don't fully understand why the issue is affecting this Rig.

We think, the root cause of this issue might be in the OS version this Rig has been stored with before. Do you have earlier versions of this Rig or the amplifier included, which has been stored with an earlier OS version? Can you please check, if you load such an older version, is there the same issue? Potentially go back to the oldest version you can get hold of e.g. mounting an old PROFILER backup which includes an earlier version.

If you find such an old version not showing the issue, you can store an amplifier preset based on that Rig, then load that amplifier preset into the latest version of the Rig and store it afterwards. This should fix the issue. You would obviously need to repeat that process for each Rig affected. If you cannot find any unaffected version, send us the earliest version of the Rigs with such issues and we will try to correct those amplifiers.

Background: For future enhancements we need the original gain of a RIg as it was immediately after PROFILING independent of the current gain. We capture these seperately since many years. But very early PROFILEs didn't store that seperately. The current OS therefor calculates the original gain from other parameters and stores that for future use. There seems to be an issue in that algorithm, which is then causing the jump of Rig Volume. But this issue only appears if the currrent gain is completely different e.g. 0 than the original gain. Beside yours we have found only two of our old factory Rigs showing a similar issue.

Hi Paults.
    No. It isn't locked. I just tried to lock and then unlock it, just to see what happens. It made no difference unfortunately.

What confuses me, is that it is only some rigs that are affected.

I can test it by going into the RIG page and then just push the AMP section button. And immediately, the Rig volume goes from 0 db to -18,5 db... The crazy thing is that this happens no matter if the RIG section is locked or not.

Slowly getting to the bottom of this. The volume knob on the Kemper is connected to the Rig-Volume under Rig in the Rig Manager, not the Amp Volume in Amp section. But it still resets to -18.5DB no matter what I do.

And it also seems that the constant resetting to -18,5 DB which is annoying AF, might have something to do with either Morph or the way the Pedal is set-up. But I haven't found a solution to this problem, as I never had it before.

Next step will be disconneting the pedal and switching off anything pedal. Trying to get rid of anything Morph and so forth. If it continues to reset to -18,5DB I'll smash the thing with a hammer and buy a Quad Cortex... :cursing:

I just installed the latest 8.5.4 OS on my Kemper and discovered that a bunch of my presets suddenly are turned down, as indicated by the LEDs on the RIG volume knob on the Kemper.

The Volume that corresponds with the volume knob on the profiler, are almost zero. ((The "Amp Level" in the Rig Manager no longer seems to control this button) Kemper said that it never did, so that one is me being confused) .

So no matter if I turn the volume up on the Kemper itself and saves it on the Kemper, the next time I change back to that preset, it goes back to almost zero. Same if I save it in the Rig Manager, after adjusting the volume up, it just returns to -18,5db. This is of course a huge problem and renders the Kemper useless in a live situation.

(My question is: What knob in the Rig manager corresponds with the volume knob on the Kemper?) The RIG volume in the RIG section controls this)

Is this a bug or have I missed some info on the way? If it's a bug, are any of you aware of this?

OBS: Just discovered that if you on the Kemper turns the Pure Cabinet function on or off, it resets the volume to almost zero in the affected presets. And if you switch the AMP section on and off, that also resets the volume. This is most definitely bug.

Here's yet another video I did with Dancer Emilie Gregersen. Hope you like it.

The Soundtrack is quite heavy - I recorded it on my 1993 Musicman EVH, tuned in C or something. I used a profile I made of a Hughes and Kettner top, that was rigged for recording at my friends studio. I took a couple of minutes to set up the Kemper and again a few minutes to profile it. I have no clue what sort of top it was - It had a lot of buttons and was owned by a metal guy. But I came home with a pretty cool Hard Rock Profile :)

The clean sounds was made with a cleaned up version of the Marshal Golub Mod profile i think. I've been messing about with quite a few different profiles. So I've sort of lost track where that clean sound came from.

I put the Strymon Timeline in the loop, and that is the one that sounds like a keyboard.

Enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ-jbeG9vNk&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ-jbeG9vNk

I'm trying to remember, from where the profile came.

I've profiled an old Master Volume Marshall and been tweaking the Marshall Golub Crunch profile to death. I have ended up with a bunch of different tweaks, some extremely heavy and some more in the crunchy domain. I've also changed the cabinet profile several times, but as in real life, I always end up with a combination of Marshalls and Vintage 30 speakers, sometimes with a little low end added with an EQ in the stomp section. That little trick makes the stereo perspective of two similar guitar tracks wider.

The sound for the clip, was actually a quite distorted solo sound, but with the volume knob on the guitar turned way down. To me, that always sounds better, than a super clean sound. Maybe it is the dynamics, I don't know - But I tend to go in that direction, whenever I play some clean parts. The Solo part, that is doubled, is the same profile as the clean, just with the guitar turned up...

This is the best i can do, because I've long forgotten what profile i used, and I change them all the time anyway. But take the Marshall Golub Crunch and dig into that. It sounds amazing :)

Are getting a bit more familiar with my Kemper. Spend quite a lot of time tweaking it. And are getting much closer to what i like: A very present and full sounding guitar. :) I'm much more satisfied with the dynamics now, after working with the in and output levels, and this Kemper thingy, is proving itself to be quite a genius piece of kit.

The track is a bit odd, fusion like, emotional stuff, to fit the video and the dance moves. Artsy fartsy you could say. But I like it :) For the track, i used my Rahbek guitars. Those are very nice :) I've lost track of what profiles i tweaked. When they went too far from their origin, I renamed them, so i could remember what profiles to work on.

Vittoria Lasorella WarmUp routine

Next up, I'll start recording my solo album. I bought the Kemper for that, and I'm happy I did. It's worth every penny :)

Wow - Thanks guys, I didn't really expect such a reaction. Thank you :)

The Kemper is very new to me, and I'm trying to get to grips with it.

I had it at Tue Madsens Antfarm studio the other day, and tried to profile a 5150 and a Marshall Master Volume, It went quite well, with a small but noticeable (for geeks) compression difference. I had some replies on that, after posting it in here, and will try to do better, when we meet next week, for another session. We will try to make profiles that fits good in a mix. As i think that is the strongpoint of the Kemper. Making it as record-ready as possible. Cool thing, is that we can do whatever we like with the Kemper, and that is its strong point IMHO.

The reason why i bought it in the first place, was because of one youtube video:

http://youtu.be/7qs4arEelwM

It convinced me that the feeling and response was right. And boy it was. It is as playing the real thing.

My next move, is profiling a handful of great amps, and then record an album. It will take some time, and I have no clue how it will end up. But with the Kemper, it is now possible for me to record at home, in my small flat, without waking up the neighbors or my flat mates. Originally my plan was, recording with plugins, and later re-amp. But i couldn't stand the lack of response in those. So you could say, that Kemper came to my rescue ;)

I tweaked the Marshall Golub Crunch profile in the direction of a more Kings X like twang. (I have a thing for the early Kings X ;) ) And then did this quicky recording, without too much thinking :)

I'll post the next one, and hopefully a much more refined and finished song, when i get further into the process.

Thanks for being supportive :)

I've had a black Kemper for a couple of days. Initially, I am very impressed, and this amp, will certainly be used for my next projects.

Today I brought it to Antfarm studios and scrutinized the unit, with producer Tue Madsen. We profiled a 5150 and a Marshall Master Volume. There is a lot of good things to be said about the unit, but here it is about, what could be improved.

We noticed that the Kemper, has some sort of master compression, it sort of keeps the sound from crashing the ceiling. But it also makes the profiled sound a little bit less dynamic, than the original. It does sound good, but it makes the Kemper profile, sound less like the real amp.

It could be massive cool, if it was possible to set the compression a bit lower. A bit less 'mastered'. In my mind, that would make the Kempers profiles impossible to distinguish from the real deal. It isn't much, but it would make a big difference.

Maybe implement it as a negative compressor value, in the amp settings menu.

It wouldn't be a problem, if the overall volume had to be lowered a bit, to compensate, for the higher peaks. The overall dynamics would feel more real.

It is actually our only 'complaint'. The Kemper is awesome, but it would be perfect, with a bit less, 'master compression'.

I would keep, the current compression level as default, and just add the possibility for negative compression, for people with big ears ;)

Another thing.... Selling the Kemper profiling amp with a logic/pro tools plugin, that could run the profile files, would be top notch. It didn't have to be as advanced, as the Kemper. Maybe just some sort of very simple Kemper Profile player, with simple controls.

It would make the life easier for many producers, and would be a great addition to the profiler. You could profile great amps at home, and when traveling, use the plugin on a laptop, for tracking or just doing pre mixes.