Posts by mhguitarist

What I see in this short vid is the Gain parameter appears to be controlled by an expression pedal. This hits both my happy and sad receptors. Happy, because I spent a good deal of time developing a stand-alone pedal (gain/distortion type) that could migrate from pristine clean to over the top distortion in by simply engaging the pedal in the same manner as a volume pedal. Sad because it kind of negates the need for my pedal research. Think Boston's "Foreplay/Long Time" build-up and you can start to imaging how useful this can be. Or, think of how Jeff Beck so masterfully uses his volume knob. Jeff's rig is set up with gobs of gain but he rarely goes flat out, instead preferring to use the gain to help punctuate the mood of his solos. Using the expression pedal to control the gain allows for a HUGE amount of variable in a single preset. Rather than switching from a clean preset to high gain preset, we would now be able to gain the full range from one profile. Pretty useful stuff!

I've been using the FC-300 for some time now. For my needs it is perfect. Did not want to have to carry around/set up additional expression pedals. Also don't have a song in my setlist that exceeds 5 presets. I assign a midi preset to every profile I use. If i want a specific effect I will set up a specific profile. The front row of 5 buttons make it very easy to navigate while playing without having to concentrate on the pedal board. Ex: Song 1 may use presets 1-4. If I am switching to another amp profile and different effects for the next song I may program that song to 6-10, etc.

Awhile back I profiled a Fender Blues Jr and Vox AC15 at the same time. My method was pretty primitive: I set each amp at a variety of settings, put both amps facing one another with 1 mic in the middle, threw a few blankets over the top to control the bleed and let it rip. The profiles are on the rig exchange, titled something like Fender-Vox. I'm sure some other folks have done some more high-tech dual amp profiles. I used to run a Mesa Boogie-Marshall stereo rig. As much as I still like the idea of running two rigs (1 effects, 1 dry, etc.) I find that the Kemper tweakabilty factor negates my need for a multi-amp setup. Wouldn't mind running 2 KPA's at the same time..... :thumbup:

I've gotten over my "wish we could run 2 amps profiles at the same time" phase but had another thought while recording today. Would it be possible (easier?) to set up the Main Outs with a different cab for each side? While it lacks the versatility of dual profiles (like a Roland Chorus on one side and a Diezel Herbert on the other.....) it would definitely open up some more tonal possibilities and allow one guitarist to add a lot of dimension the their live rig. Again, not sure what the tech limitations would be but I would think it would be more feasible than the multi-profile option. A boy can dream.... :thumbup:

I appreciate the feedback. I'm using the Roland for the specific reason that it is built like a tank and has everything built in, no need for additional pedals. After doing a run of shows where load-in/load-out was like a NASCAR pit-stop, I decided to make everything as time/space friendly as possible. Maybe Roland will run a future upgrade to combat the issue. Or maybe Kemper will introduce an upgraded FC with attached expression pedals...... :thumbup:

Hi Folks,
    Have been reading the various threads on using a MIDI controller to utilize the KPA's looper function. Have not had success with the Roland FC-300 accessing the looper. The Roland has the ability to send multiple MIDI and system messages but appears to not go beyond CC#95. If anyone has experience with this specific unit and can offer some usable tips I would be very grateful. I thank you in advance!
    Mark H :thumbup:

Hi Guys/Gals,
    I need some help. I'm running a Roland FC-300. It appears that the highest available # in the Roland is CC# 95. Currently not able to test the looper functionality without being able to program a CC#98 into the FC. Don't want to hack around on the programming for fear of disabling my FC. Any experienced info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mark H

No he utilizado un cable LAN con él, pero yo creo que va a trabajar. Recomiendo ir al Manual Kemper (en línea) y buscar "conexiones LAN". Se le debe dar una buena información sobre la forma de controlarlo a través de LAN. También, echar un vistazo a la información de los ajustes de LAN en el manual de Roland también. Actualmente estoy pensando cómo utilizar la función Looper con el Roland FC-300. Originalmente fue catalogado como un único elemento controlador de pedal KPA. Recientemente alguien publicó una lista de números MIDI y comandos que permiten un pedal MIDI estándar para hacer el trabajo del garfio. Hay tanto que aprender! Un paso a la vez.

In English:
    Have not used a LAN cable with it but I would think that it will work. I recommend going to the Kemper Manual (online) and search "LAN connections". It should give you good information on how to control it via LAN. Also, take a look at the LAN settings information in the Roland manual as well. I am currently figuring out how to use the Looper function with the Roland FC-300. Originally it was listed as a KPA Foot Controller only feature. Recently someone posted a list of MIDI numbers and commands that allow a standard MIDI pedal to make the looper work. So much to learn! One step at a time.

Yo uso un Roland FC-300, que funciona muy bien. Yo uso las siguientes conexiones:
    Roland salida MIDI a Kemper MIDI In.
    Roland Exp Pedal 3 a Kemper Switch / Pedal 1.
    Roland Exp Pedal 4 a Kemper Switch / Pedal 2.
    Para mis necesidades asigno un Kemper MIDI # para un preset y recuerdo que preset con el pedal de Roland. Hay algunos ajustes que se necesitan para establecer en el Kemper para asignar los controlllers pie para la función que le gustaría. Esperemos que esto es algo útil. Solía traductor Google, por favor perdona cualquier cosa que no tiene sentido.

In English:
    I use a Roland FC-300, it works very well. I use the following connections:
    Roland MIDI Out to Kemper MIDI In.
    Roland Exp Pedal 3 to Kemper Switch/Pedal 1.
    Roland Exp Pedal 4 to Kemper Switch/Pedal 2.
    For my needs I assign a Kemper MIDI # to a preset and recall that preset with the Roland pedal. There are a few settings you will need to set up in the Kemper to assign the foot controlllers for the function you would like. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful. I used google translate, please forgive anything that does not make sense.

I would like to see it independent of the looper (on the front end at least, what goes in inside the box is Kemper's business). Again, able to utilize without the KPA foot controller. Hence, no tapping.

Curious if we could see a Reverse Echo. I would think that the Looper algorithm would have the capacity to cover this. Specifically, a Reverse Echo that could be utilized by all KPA users, regardless of foot controller.

Forgive me if this topic has been addressed previously. I would love to see an additional delay slot that could accommodate a short/slapback type delay that could be in the signal chain before the existing delay algorithm. I used to run a 50 millisecond delay to thicken the sound. This was an independent delay that ran before/into my standard effects unit. As it is I could run a 50 millisecond delay if it is to be the only delay I use. I understand it might be difficult to add a huge delay algorithm but I would think a slapback in the stompbox section would be a possibility.

I run a pair of Mesa Boogie 2 x 12 slant cabs (closed back) stacked on top of one another. Toaster running through a Carvin DCM1000L power amp. The sound is very large! Nowhere near as heavy as a pair of 4 x 12's but still punches me in the back of the head on a big stage. Running direct out to FOH for main purposes but the 2 x 12's cover me on stage.

My hand was forced on the foot controller situation as my trusty Dunlop DVP3 took a dump on me. It turns out there is a metal band that runs around the potentiometer. The band is very flimsy (and sharp, as it sliced my finger when I reached under to see what was impeding the pedal's movement). To make a long story longer, I have a Roland FC-300 on the way. I'll still keep an eye on the KPA pedal progress but I need an immediate fix and the Roland is an all-in-one that fits my current needs. I have a CAE Ground Control Pro and 2 rack junction boxes to go with if anyone is interested..... :thumbup:

By chance do you have the MIDI file for that to share?

Hi zneels, I keep it simple by saving a chosen profile (with effects added to my liking) and assigning the MIDIPrgChg# (System button, page 5/9) to a location that works for me. Ex; I have a song with that utilizes 4 profiles. I'll assign a rhythm preset to 71, verse/effected preset to 72, lead fills to 73, primary lead to 75. On the GCP I will name the presets to correspond to the specific song I am playing. Not sure if this answers your question but let me know and I'll try to clarify further :thumbup: