Posts by crhfish

I profiled one of my cabs and used it and I also used some old cabs. Using the old cabs worked, there are not any of the new cabs up yet to use that I know of. I'm going to try some IR's also but just have not had the time.

I guess this is a good place to make this comment. I had been out of town for a while and did not have a chance to try the direct profiling until tonight. (I downloaded 2.8 a few weeks ago but had not installed it. My first one was a complete dud, I mean it was not good at all. My second one was pretty nice. I used a THD univalve that has a line out that is not speaker emulated. Part of my problem is that I am color blind, so using the little light as a judge of volume is completely lost on me. I might as well be staring a a twinkling star. Anyhow, my take is that the new firmware leaves more of the sound (nature) with the amp. I found changing cabs to be slightly more subtle, but that seemed to make more of the cabs more usable. I did not have to go to my usual cabs to get a good sound. I profiled two 12au7's into an old KT88 trying to get and old marshall, hells bells like sound. It sounded good tonight but I need to let my ears rest and check it later. AC/DC does that to me.

I'm still going to wait and see if Kemper gives us some guidance or at least see what real world results tell us. The H&K old Redbox pro has a speaker simulator bypass to allow its use for keyboards and bass, it should work. The ProCo DB1 looks good and those folks made the famous Rat pedal. I would think some of the others designed for bass, keyboards and electric drums should work also. I'm still going to wait to see if we get any further technical details.

It looks to me like the Palmer PDI-03 filters or shapes everything that runs through it. i don't think you will get a clean DI profile using one. it also has an 8ohm load resistance internally. I'm not sure how you would use this if the amp required either 4 or 16 ohms.

Now that I think about it. a speaker simulator with a allot of choices that could be switched of would be cool. You could do DI profiles or regular profiles with no mic.

If you read back in this thread you will see where someone contacted radial and they do not make a di box that will work in this situation. I think you want passive because the actives to me are like little amps being introduced into the signal chain. I also agree with some of the other comments that it can't be to cheap to do what it is supposed to do. I'm thinking at least $100 perhaps more.

I don't know if anyone else saw the report from NAMM, but Kemper made their own little DI box and they showed it in the video. They said they did not have plans to sell it, but they might. I will say it again that I think you need to be careful with cheap DI boxes. If they are passive then they really are just a transformer. Its a small version of the transformer in your amp. With these you get what you pay for. I'll give the Behringer a try, its cheap enough to see.

Thanks for the kind comments. I know I have to many and I plan to give some away. Many of these are rescues, guitars that had been mistreated and needed a new paint job and some TLC. Allot of them I paid around $100 for them, but that was a few years ago. It is hard to go from guitar to guitar. Anyone who is really serious should probably focus on just a few. I'm just doing this for fun. I have more on the wall behind me in this pic and I'm sad to say I have an overflow room. The little short door goes to an attic space that is full of cases.

My new thing is amps. I've learned a little about repairing them and I'm on the prowl for old tubes amps. I know in the next year or so I'll find some good ones. This part of Texas is good for that. They will all be profiled and shared.

What I think we are going to need is a passive direct box without speaker emulation. There may be a good alternative out there but its probably not sold as a guitar unit. I can't find one designed for use after the amp that does not have speaker emulation which makes sense because who wants to record an amp sound before the speakers. Seems this situation does not call for an active DI, it would be to easy to overdrive it. I think a good passive DI is going to cost at least $100 if its got a good transformer in it. I'm going to wait and see what Kemper recommends. From what I can read a passive box is all about the transformer inside, if its cheap, its like a cheap mic. It may be better to pay a little more and get a good unit.

I would love to try an old Supro 1624T but as I understand it, there were four versions. Most of the ones out there are versions 3 and 4 and those apparently do not have quite the tone that the first two version do. No to mention that they have gotten very expensive. I am thinking about building one.

I am going to redo that particular profile tonight. I tried it last night and it was to bright. Its a weird profile, much more sensitive to the guitar than most that I have done. I've learned that I need to be patient on these profiles. Your ears can get tired and you think you have a good sound, but when you come back a day or so later, its not what you though ti was.

I have been interested in how Mr. Page got some of his early sounds for a while now. Over the years I've read as much as I can find on the subject and I know he has not specifically revealed many of his secrets. It seems obvious he did use a small amp on many of his early songs. It sounds small, but is engineered very well into the mix as they say. I've tried a few old Silvertones, Airlines and the likes over the years and some of them sound cool but just seem to small and not jangley enough. These are as close as I can get to a vintage Valco here in Texas without paying up. So I have been trying different things to see if I can get the "jangle" ( best term I can come up with at the moment) that is in Houses of the Holy. I've been using my Univalve multi tube capable amp to try out some weird configurations. Today I tried 2-12aty's as the preamp drivers into an old KT88. For speakers I used some old Webers but changed the result into something that fit the sound I was looking for a bit better. I think this is close but this profile is the most sensitive I have made to the guitar used and the cab selected. I always though he might have used a slightly cocked was on this song or some pair of pickups out of phase but this profile has that sound without that. To me and the guitar I am using its close. This profile is probably not that usable but its fun to use on old Zeppelin. Its labeled Univalve - Holy House.

I also put up some H&K switchblade profiles. Its a cool amp and I'm still playing around with it.

I'm glad you guys like these. After christmas I plan on going through the speedster and making sure its in perfect shape. It had a bit of a hum and I suspect the filter caps may be going bad. I also need to check the tubes, etc. The Kemper has made me buy more amps to the point that I'm repairing amps now. Its something I thought I would never get into, but I like it.

I put up three Silver Face profiles tonight, one clean and the other two are ode to the Dobbie Brothers. I think they have a cool old school sound. I also put up three profiles from a Speedster Amp. I had never heard of these amps before I found this one. Designed to have a 50's look. Hardwired and the chassis is signed by Mike Soldano and built in 1997. One of these is clean and the other two are cranked up pretty loud. The Speester amps were apparently a short lived project, but this little thing has some serious punch. Messing around with what it can do it reminds me of a JTM 45.