Posts by crhfish

I added four more profiles of the XXX. These were done differently, out in the open. Two use the Crunch channel and two were done on the Ultra channel. The Ultras are pretty high gain.

After trying several different things to get a good EVH first album brown sound I finally have one that I think is good enough to post. No, its not as good as a real plexi, variaced down and dimed, in the right place at the right time, but I thought I would put it up here to see if anyone could use it. I used a wampler pinnacle pedel into a Marshall SL-X amp. Part fo the drive is from the amp, part is from the pedal. It was loud and my ears are still recovering. The more I listen to the first VH record the more I realize each song is a bit different and true to a good amp, this profile sounds different with each guitar. If anyone out there has dialed up a good brown sound, please share. I'm going to call it SL-X Brown.

Chuck

Its a medium sized closet and I face the amp towards the door. The clothes are on the back side. I turn the cab slightly and tweak the mic position until it sounds good. I have it cranked pretty loud. I only have two mic's an akg c1000 is what I use most of the time. I have the little plastic filter thing on it and the wind screen. Usually mic about 2 inches away dead on. When I profile i use headphones and some cheap monitors that I have and try to make sure it sounds good on both. I finally bought a mic stand, that makes it easier.

I am totally new to this. The only thing that I do that may be unusual is that I put the amp in a closet to keep the sound down and under control. I do this at home and its my daughters closet and with her cloths it works like an iso box. I'm glad you like these. The little Rivera's are great amps!

I've got it set up just like the manual shows. Guitar into the Kemper, the direct out/send of the kemper into the pedal, then amp for the profiling signal, a mic that returns to the return/input. When I did this with the pedal the signal coming out of the kemper going into the pedal/amp was muddy and it profiled that way. At first I thought the battery in the pedal was bad. I changed it and it still sounded bad. Then I though the pedal must be bad, I had just bought it. Its a wampler and they have a good reputation. Then when I tired the pedal straight it sounded great. So I tried again hooked up ready to profile but this time I started with a clean tone on the kemper side (tab). When I say this the tone or amp coming from the Kemper, not the reference tab was clean. When I did this the pedal responded correctly. I tested it again just to be sure by starting the profile again with a distorted kemper amp cued up. Same thing, the peddle was muddy.

I noticed something yesterday and thought I would pass it on. I was profiling a pedal and started the profile by selecting a distorted sound that was close to what I thought I would wind up with. When I did this the reference sound was muddy. It was like the signal coming from the kemper to feed the amp/peddle was acting as a boost not just passing the guitar signal on to the amp. When I tried again and started with a clean sounding amp, the results were much better. The peddle sounded like it should and the profiled sounded much better.

I have put up five Rivera 30-12 profiles. On this amp there are two channels. Both channels have a boost or "ninja" as it is called on channel two. So I have 5 profiles, two of each channel, with and without the boost engaged. Channel one has a british edge, channel two sounds very much like a Fender. All of the profiles were done with the tone knobs at 5. This is pretty good amp, small but loud in real life. I hope someone can use these.

Perhaps removing the stars rating and adding a link to a sample would work. I would be willing to do a quick sample for each profile I did. I think most everyone could do this and it would be nice to go through the profiles, click on a sample, and decide if it fits your tastes. I came from the eleven rack world and we did not have this many presets/profiles to deal with on a daily basis.

I redid my profiles for the Laney GH50L amp. These are fairly high gain profiles. I did two, one on the main channel and one with the lead boost engaged. These are fairly bright. They are under the name HAYS.

Sorry for the late response. I've been out of town for a bit. Its a Combo amp. The lower gain was on the drive channel. The two higher gain were on the Ultra channel.

I did something weird tonight. I have two profiles up with the results. I have a Univalve, its the amp that lets you change tubes, pre and post. It also has a built in Hotplate. I decided to try and and use the direct out of the unit because I still have company in the house and have to be quiet. Hooked up the amp and dimed it and turned the hotplate all the way down. Could barely hear it in the speakers and it did not sound very good. Now, the direct sound in the headphones through the Kemper sounded pretty good. Did a profile with an EQ applied by mistake. Tweaked it a bit and then added a Cab. I profiled direct without a cab and added it later. The results are two profiles THD 2 and THD 3. One is a bit darker than the other. Both use an EQ and a Tills cab. Both have huge dynamics IMO. But, my ears are tired and I could be missing something. Still on my mission for the brown sound and this surprised me.

I hope everyone takes this as a testament for the Kemper. I only have one mic. I don't even have a stand. I have it taped to a stick in a beer bottle. I'm using my daughters closet as an isolation box so that I can hear the Kemper for comparisons. I think her cloths help control the sound a bit. When I did these and the few others I have done, it was the first time I ever mic'd a cab. I have some more mic's on the way and I will attempt to improve these. I'm glad some of you folks like them. Guess I should buy a stand for the mic too.

I added three higher gain profiles tonight from the Peavey XXX. I did one that is a crunch setting and it has a little of the JTM vibe. The other two were on the higher gain channel. One is darker and one is brighter using the body and edge controls to go from one to the other. I used one of Tills cabs to liven one up a little otherwise they are just as they profiled, no tweaks.

After a few false starts, I finally have a few profiles up under the name Hays. I have an Marshall SL-X, a Rivera and a Laney profiled. I'm learning how this thing works and hope to able to contribute some more. I still have a Peavey XXX, a Blues Jr. and a Univalve to profile. The univalve with tube changes can get some pretty good cleans but I have noticed there are so many good ones here already. In time, In time.

I am a previous 11R user and really love how the Kemper sounds and feels. I really look forward to its progression.

Chuck from San Antonio