Posts by BulldogXTRM

Merged profiles should sound the same as their studio profiles if no settings were changed during the profiling. So if you purchase the merged profiles, that should be the mic'ed Studio Profile sound when the cab section is turned on.

You can then turn the cab off in the monitor output and send that to a regular guitar cab if you chose.

Creating merged profiles allows the Kemper to take the guesswork out of what is the sound of the amp and what is the sound of the cab that was used to profile. Hope that helps out.

No one thing people in the forums don't realize is the majority of people come here to post problems or seek help. The forum is not indicative of reliability. Even the new stage is very reliable considering it's brand new. If 5 people are having problems with the Stage, then 50 are in the public and not having problems.

This is why I couldn't be a Helix/Axe guy. Owned a Pod HD 500, and I got some good sounds, but I had to tweak the hell out things to sound great.

Kemper doesn't have this problem, it sounds like the profiled amp, simple as that. Want to play a Dumble, a Soldano, a Mesa, a Bogner, a Friedman? Download a profile and you're playing a great sounding profile with little to no tweaks.

Welcome to the Kemper Train.

Unlike the Axe-Fx units I've owned in the past which I think I spent 90% of my time tweaking and 10% playing, I feel like I'm satisfied with the Stage much more quickly and am playing guitar more! Looking forward to learning and contributing to this group of fine musicians and gear enthusiasts!

My last couple of shows, have been flawless with the Stage. I've used a powered PA speaker behind me for a "monitor/feedback". I've owned a Kemper since they were released and can say that it has been the most consistent piece of gear I've owned.

Thank you for sharing! My guess about profiling with reference Mics is that most people don’t do it, because they want to create a profile that would easily fit in a mix. Traditional guitar microphone technique and placement is designed to do that.

Yeah, I get that but I've been reading so many posts where people are whining about the Kemper not capturing the amp in the room sound that guitar players are used to so I was thinking this would be the way to accomplish that.

Today I've been making some in house IR's with my own cabs and a couple of borrowed cabs and I noticed that some of these IR's had some high frequency fizz when using them with a few merged profiles that I also did today. So I decided to start experimenting. One thing is that I've never used Pure Cabinet on my Kemper I always turn it off in the output section and make sure that it's off in my rigs as well.

After dealing with the fizziness awhile, and starting to get agitated, I decided to give Pure Cabinet a try. Well what do you know for me a setting around 3.5 was just great. The fizziness died down to more of what I heard through the live cabs. Well the I got curious and decided to use the looper on my Kemper Stage and record an input loop to play back and capture with and without Pure Cabinet turned on. The graph below shows an EQ match analysis using Ozone. So in case anyone was wondering, it smooths out the fizziness of your sound, effectively cleaning up your tone to be more of what you'd hear not only in the room, but also on lower setting just cleaning up fizziness from your input mic.

So it sounded better no matter what IR/CAB I used with Pure Cabinet on, and ever IR that I tested today, had the same issues whether they were the IR's I made or some of the commercial ones that I own. They all have a level of fizziness to them that I don't normally equate to hearing in the room. Then I started reading about not only the issues with the mic captures, but also the phase issues when making or mixing IR's.

Anyway this is the JUNK noise that Pure Cabinet gets rid of. Not musical and not natural at all. I'm leaving it turned on from now on unless there's a reason to turn it off.

Okay class dismissed,

Dang, not a single darn person want to talk about this???

Well I don't know how many of you use your own IR's so here's a couple I created. Import them to Rig Manager and you can drag and drop them to your profiler.

This is actually an IR of 3 cabs. A HESU V212 Demon loaded and mic with a 421, a Bogner UberKab with a R121 on the V30, and a Friedman BE100 cab with a SM57 on the G12M. I have 5 IR's that were mixed to get the sound in the room, my favorite mix, a slight mid boost, and 2 levels of high cut from the mid boost settings.

The IR's are thick, have some major thump, buttery mids, and screaming highs. If I were to explain it in as and EQ the overall sound signature is like a "W" EQ. These are primarly for high gain, but work well with crunch and cleans too.

BulldogXTRM IR.zip

So, I'll chime in... They just released 2.3.14 today so I give it at least 2 weeks before 3.0/Editor is released. There's a reason they're not releasing this yet, I think it has to do with the couple of bugs in the Stage that they're having trouble with. I know I submitted a bug that apparently got fixed in 2.3.13/7.10 beta update.

I'm sure there is a reason why and maybe someone can enlighten me... I'm just wondering if a lot of people are looking for the amp in the room tone... then why aren't more people profiling with reference mic's? I mean if you profile with a mic that is FR like a reference mic then you'd get the cab in the room sound. The same thing with these guys that are making cab IR's, why not use a reference mic and capture the sine sweep and generate the IR from that?

Am I missing something here? Has this already been tried and didn't work?

One way to achieve this would be if you knew what cabs/mics will be provided for the backline. You could then load an IR that matches - preshow. Then tweak your sound using the IR and a DI profile. Then when you get to the show, just turn off the IR and voila! That should match very closely and you could then minimally tweak the profiles during sound check to fit the room.

Bottom line I think is that if you're not providing your own cabs/mics/pa/FRFR your at the mercy of the venue. I always bring at least one 12 inch powered FRFR/PA speaker with me for my monitoring on stage, it only takes a power cable and a XLR to get the exact sound I'm looking to hear on stage, add some pure cabinet to the studio profile and you have your cab in the room sound which can then be mic'ed up and sent to the FOH if needed.

Okay I'm on the KPA Stage, just upgraded to 7.10 and it appears zero problems now. I'm not having the crash when switching between performance profiles quickly. But I've only seen that once since moving to 7.09. Backup and restore function seems to be functioning correctly.

Having gigged with the KPA for many years, here's some of the take aways and suggestions I can give on your situation.

You have to learn that you have to dial your amp tones in at every venue via your monitors and FOH speakers. The sound from the Kemper and the profiles you use will not change, but every FOH/PA and monitor setup is different. If you have a dedicated sound guy that knows your tone, it's a simple as having him EQ the FOH and your monitor setup. If you're doing this yourself, have some play some basic chords while you listen to the FOH. You'll know what you need for it to sound right.

My band uses wireless in ear monitors for every show, so we have our own mixer setup. So our connection is like this Instrument>Band-IEM Mixer>FOH via transformered Y This is the most consistent I think you can get, we mix our own monitors.

We send the FOH the same sounds every night and this translates that our monitor mixes are consistent no matter what. If we have to provide FOH sound then we have a live sound guy that knows us and he mixes it, but if the venue provides FOH then you're at the mercy of their guy and hopefully he'll listen to you about your sound.

CK,

This supports what I've been saying all along. The best way to run the Kemper is through FRFR/PA speakers. If you want the mic'ed sound then run the profiles without Pure Cabinet, if you'd like to send a more "amp in the room" sound then run it with Pure Cabinet.

The biggest thing that has to be done for a great live setup in my opinion is EQ the monitor out. You implemented this function a long time ago at our request and I really appreciate the ability to match the FOH sound with my monitors or vice versa. This also allows people that absolutely want to use a guitar cab with the cab turned off in the profile to do EQ a good match for the sound from the PA or to match the sound from the guitar cab to the profile better.

Keep up the good work, I'm a Kemper Profiler user for life!

Unfortunately, I can’t afford to buy an frfr right now since I am paying on the Kemper. I have no problem getting clean sounds I like, but distortion is proving to be more difficult for me to get a good beefy and present sound. I have seen videos online of people achieving great distorted tones running it through a regular cab, so I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I’ve tried adjusting several parameters like clarity, direct mix, definition, etc. There are just so many variables that it is hard the find the right combo of settings.

As far as having to eq for FOH as well, I would assume no FOH setup is the same, so it would seem like you would always have to adjust something. Can you have settings stored for both your monitor and FOH?

Sort of, if you're monitor always is the same then you can EQ the monitor out to compensate and get it matched tonally to the main out. Then any adjustments you would make for the FOH would translate better to the monitor out. If the FOH and your monitor are way off then you may have to adjust the EQ of the monitor in the opposite direction you EQ the FOH. Hope that makes sense.