Posts by BulldogXTRM

Have you seen the Thon case on Thomann that houses the Stage + EP-1? I’m sorely tempted by it. By the time you’ve bought a Pedaltrain large enough, with hard case, you’re in the same territory price-wise.
    https://m.thomann.de/gb/thon_c…htm?o=5&search=1569268244

Yeah but it's 4-6 weeks before available according to what I see and the Pedaltrain has an actual board that I can remove from the case and use to combine the Kemper Stage and the EP

I used my Kemper Stage and Mission EP this weekend through a ZLX-12P for a rear monitor (we use wireless IEM's but I like to have the feel of something behind me and plus getting the controlled feedback). The setup is glorious in sound and feel, the Kemper stage sounded fantastic. I think I'm going to get me a pedal board to mount them both eventually though. Looking at a Pedaltrain classic 2 with flight case for $229 US. I think that would be a perfect fit, but I'm also looking at the Temple Audio boards as well.

When using a guitar cabinet instead of a FRFR monitor you HAVE TO EQ the guitar cabinet to compensate. The way to do this is to use the monitor out of the Kemper and makes sure the Cab emulation is turned off for the monitor/speaker out. That way you can still send the main to the FOH with cab emulation on into the PA.

Setup up a good FRFR/PA speaker with a flat sound from the main out and then from the speaker out of the Kemper into your cab you'll EQ to match the FRFR/PA. If the profile uses a 4x12 with V30's and you're already using a 4x12 with V30's then you shouldn't need to EQ much. But if your using K12-100's then you're basically going to EQ the output of the Kemper so that it makes your 4x12 with K12-100's sound like it has V30's loaded... Every DI/Merged profile you play from that point forward should sound like it's being played through a cab with V30's.

This quirk of the profiler and other modelers is why FRFR/PA speakers are the better choice over guitar cabs for monitoring. It can be done but it's not ideal for the sound that was profiled or being emulated. This is also another reason a lot of users are moving towards using their own Impulse Responses. Once you setup an IR that closely matches the sound of your guitar cab and begin using this in your profiles, you'll tweak the profiles to taste then when running the Kemper through your real cab, it will match. This is what I do for all of the profiles I use, that way no matter whether I use my cab for monitoring live or a FRFR/PA I still get the same reliable sound.

Hope that helps.

An example of what I'm talking about and yes you would need to EQ for your cab. But only once.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

"Try those using your powerhead straight into your cab". Isn't it always the case? ... Like, also with the powered Kemper? ...

Not sure where my other post went but I answered this. No I'm not using my Kemper theough my amps power section for anything but creating the profile.

After creating a DI or merged profile, turn off the cab on the Kemper monitor output. Then EQ the monitor out while playing through a solid state power amp and your cab while at the same time sending a mono main out to good FRFR.

The sound from the FRFR is what your profiled amp sounds like through the microphone you chose to profile with. Use this sound to help EQ your cabless monitor out to the power amp and cab.

You should be able to get pretty much a spot on match to your amp played through your cab. You have to EQ a guitar cab to get an exact match, guitar speakers color the sound. It will be close without the EQ and likely usable but not exact until you EQ. The Kemper was always intended to be used with FRFR or flat stage monitors, but they listened to the users to allow a way to use your own guitar cabs so people didnt have to spend good money on a FRFR cab or PA.

Hopefully that makes sense and explains what I do and what I'm talking about.

BTW, FWIW I've found a slight boost in the lows of .5 and then the mids a boost of about 1.5 and a boost in the highs of about .5 - 1.0 to be pretty much spot on for a V30 4x12. YMMV depending on the manufacter. I do play metal and hard rock so I understand somewhat of what you're saying. Look in the Rig Exchange for my Uberschall Merged profiles. Try those using your powerhead straight into your cab. I use this setup live all the time and the tone is spot on to what I actually get from my Uberschall with my 4x12. If you find that you're missing something with your cab then EQ the output to adjust to taste. Use your ears.

My point being that it might not be the profile only, but the ability to play that profile correctly at live volume over a guitar cabinet.

Might be worth keeping a direct link to the downloads page on/in your desktop/bookmarks - It's easy to miss announcements (if they are made).

Seems like things are moving quickly at 'head office' I saw (yesterday) a mention of an imminent 7.0.9

https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads

Yep, there's a bug that causes a random crash when changing rigs too often while connect via USB to RM. It's crashed my Stage several times and the fix should be rolling out with 7.09

First of all I understand what you're saying. The issue is that you are taking the reactance of the speakers in the original cabinet and the power amp that was used in profiling out of the equation when you use a DI profile. Whether you are creating a DI or a Merged profile, when you remove the tube power amp with the original cab out of the equation then of course you're going to get a difference. Kemper has known this for a long time and listened to some of us early adopters and provided a solution via a monitor out EQ.

An excerpt from the Addendum manual, 1.5 so that should tell you how long there has been a fix for this.

"Of course, we can never anticipate the exact sound of the speaker cabinet you use, so a little fine-tuning on the global Monitor Equalizer might be necessary to achieve the perfect “amp in the room” sound"

When you adjust the monitor EQ out to match the sound of your profiled cab, it doesn't get any closer than that. Simply turning the cab off in the stack and pushing through a clean solid state amp into your 4x12 isn't good enough. You have to EQ it for it to be right. Kemper can't possibly know what cab or monitor situation you'll use.

Not all FRFR solutions are equal either. Some give great results, some give bad results. But if you EQ the monitor/cab to suit your setup then you have the AMP IN THE ROOM sound and it will totally destroy any other digital solution out there. Too often this is missed by the new guys.

Now how do you know what that sound is for a profile you didn't create? You don't so you have to let your ears guide you. But if it's a profile that you created, then you can nail YOUR TONEZ!

I hear you. I've done the same thing, but I've kept the profiles and stored them away to listen to what I did wrong I guess. Funny thing is that for instance my Uberschall profiles... My best ones are my last ones, but if I rated the 2nd best, that would be my first ones.

I'm curious about you saying you hear a difference, because the profiles I've made are indistinguishable from the original during the process. That's using studio monitors, studio headphones, and mics on the guitar cab in another room. The Kemper for me captures the soul of the amp with the settings and other variables at that particular moment. No change anything on the Kemper including the EQ and all bets are off. But zeroed as it was profiled, I hear no difference. What's more is I've analyzed the noise print/sound match data using Izotope Ozone 8 and RX7 and they're an exact match there too.

The problem with sorting in a universal way is that Kemper would likely be getting into sticky territory with trademarks. If Kemper labeled profiles based on company names and amp models, it opens up a litigation window because the company is using them without permission. Not doing so allows for the consumer to label things in any way they like, the drawback being uniformity is impossible.

Kemper has grown to the point that there are so many profiles and profile sellers. For Kemper this is a good thing since it's the customer who is actually adding value to the product and doing the legwork, so to speak. Its methodology allows for so many variables, so the possibilities of unique profiles are seemingly endless. The downside of that is you're going to get a ton of garbage with it.

That's the problem, too much garbage. Most of the profiles on the rig exchange are mediocre at best. Some are just downright bad. I'm not sure why, I've profiled quite a few amps including my own and have been able get relatively good results and in the case of my Uberschall profiles excellent results.

I've owned a Kemper since 2012, shortly after they were released, back then I remember the rig exchange being a great place to find decent profiles without having to buy a professional studio profile pack. Now it just seems that the rig exchange is cluttered. I agree guys that taste is subjective, I suppose I'm just frustrated that there isn't a better way to filter the rig exchange. Profiles of real amps, Profiles of modelers, profiles of stompboxes, and presets... Okay I'll hush now about it I guess

Okay, let me say it this way. If I'd wanted sounds from the Helix, I would have bought one. If I'd wanted the sounds from an Axe Fx I'd have bought one... the profiles of those modelers IMHO trashes up the rig exchange.

If someone profiles a modeler, the Rig Tags should indicate it. You can see all the Tags in Rig Manager before auditioning a Rig.

No, not everyone puts rig tags and I'm sure there are some that aren't honest. I've seen amp names of B. what the heck is that?

The Kemper is such and amazing piece of gear, it really captures the essence of an amps tone... real amp tone. Why do people insist on profiling the modelers? When I go through the rig exchange I'd like to be able to know that what I'm getting is a real amp profile not somebody's interpretation of that amp. Okay rant/gripe done.