Posts by zerocrossing

I would think adding fx would be preferrable to giving up what the KPA has, which is the ability to deliver the best rendition of great amps.

As for an eq section that models how each actual amps tone stack works? I don't see the advantage. That might be because the eq section of most tube amps aren't all that good. To my ears, the eq sections in the Kemper are far more usable for dialing in or out something which is missing.

Then again, I was never the sort to adjust tone knobs on any amp I really like to use, once I had the tone I wanted. Once it was in the zone for me? I'd never touch it again unless the acoustics of the room or venue were really odd. YMMV.

I used to be like that when I used real amps. I'd set each channel up as a "preset" and just switch between them in conjunction with some sort of effects patch change to sculpt the sound.

Then, when I started using modelers I found that you can often get some really amazingly varied tones by messing with the eq sections. Is this true to life? Not sure, but useful. One some amps more than others, but still useful. I imagine when profiles are made, several tone setup variations are made per amp? I hope so! So much variation between guitars and what not... it would make sense. In other words, if I found an amp I dug and profiled it, who's to say you'd use the same settings? Same mic? Even the same mic placement.

Of course I may find this is all silliness and be fine. I just thought I'd throw it out there as I've read reviews that said they missed this feature that modelers have and the Kemper does not. Knowing how much I lean on it I was wondering if people did things to fill this gap.

After a lot of deliberation I went ahead and ordered a KPA. I'm pretty excited. I had been contemplating going with a POD HD500/DT25/ISO cab set up (it needs to be silent to quiet for my living situation) but I came to the conclusion that the isolation cabs under $1000 weren't worth considering and that would push me over my budget.

I've been using alternative guitar amp tech for a long time. I think my first set up of this nature was an ART SGX2000 with a couple of Peavey KB60 keyboard amps. Somehow I got some crazy sound out of that rig... some even good! I think from there I went to a crazy system that used an Ampeg SC140 amp with a Digitech 2120 in it's effect loop but I took one of the stereo outs and ran it into a keyboard amp for extra "stereo" fun. Next rig was a Vox Tonelab SE into a Lexicon MPX-1 into Mackie powered PA speakers. Actual tube amp? It's been a really long time... (and I guess that's going to continue getting longer) I also did the Roland GR based synth thing for years, but I finally gave up on that as failed tech and taught myself basic keyboard skills. I love synths and I have a few analogs at home as well as a VST folder full of goodies. These days I mostly jam around my home studio using Ableton Live and some software loopers like Mobius and Augustus loop.

Hi,

Well, I've only just ordered my KPA and I'm already considering what it can't do. ;) Mostly I'm thinking I'll probably need a foot controller though I could probably utilize my spare Behringer FCB1010, but floor space is tight and I thought it might be nice to add in some sort of pedal based guitar effects to the mix that could also be used as a controller and even possibly pick up where the Kemper leaves off in terms of a preamp model who's tone controls are actually representative of the gear modeled. Maybe I'm unjustifiably afraid of this limitation. I'm wondering if anyone uses something like a POD HD 300-500 with the KPA and how that went.