Posts by Webb

Hey John, the actual Aldrich amp cleans up slightly better than the profiles but still not to the extent of some of my other amps (Cameron CCV, Wizard MCII, etc). As I mentioned before, it's kind of a one-trick pony. I'm also using a guitar with higher output pickups so maybe something like a Strat would work better when rolling the volume knob back.

On my Sony headphones I definetely liked the Cameron one better, it had less fizz and a bit more low mids. In the car (where I like to evaulate sounds because it's familiar and I don't prefer headphones these days), I would say the Cameron still edges yours out by a bit for the same reasons. However, they are very close, and it comes down to does someone want a little more high end or a little more low mids... Either way, I really like all of your Cameron and Aldrich profiles and I play them as much as any purchased profile. For $5 i'd defintely buy the Cameron profile (singular) and maybe even $10...but not $40. I'm really after that Dokken/80's sound I hear in my head (which isn't always what i hear when i go back and listen to the albums :) But the sound is what i heard from some old Cameron CCV Youtube clips or Mark Day's Friedman clips on youtube.

Thanks for the feedback. I think my clip was using the T2 DI profile from 5/7. It has a bit more high end than the others. But now I find myself going back to the first one I posted (Aldrich 5/6 01 DI) as I think it sounds a little more balanced. I may try to reamp the above clip using that one to see how it sounds in the mix. Also, I plan on making a few more profiles of the Aldrich with different EQ settings and a bit less gain. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

In the end it's a matter of personal preference I suppose, but I like the clarity of yours much more. It still has some of those fizzy static mutes, but less than the Cameron upon being less saturated. Articulation over gain is optimal for my tastes.

Also, this is an honest, sincere opinion. Some, including Jason himself, might think that I'm just trying to say Webb's is better because of Cameron's thread, which isn't the case.

Thanks. I think they're both usable but I do hear a boominess in the Cameron profile that seems to be baked in. Obviously I might be a bit biased but I don't care either way. Whether someone likes my free profile or the $40 profile comes down to personal preference.

I concur.
    However, it would be interesting to see how each profile reacts to EQ and gain changes on the kemper. After all, this has been one of the selling points of the "official" cameron profile.

I haven't tried adjusting the profile's gain level directly on the Kemper because then you're getting away from the actual amp's gain structure. I will say that I don't think either profile cleans up that well with the guitar's volume knob, which was one of the selling points of the Cameron.

I had a chance to do a quick test mix comparing my Aldrich profile to the Official Cameron profile. Tried to make all things equal - 2 guitar tracks left and right reaamped straight through the Kemper. Both use the same Ownhammer IR with no added EQ or post processing.

Mine -

Moderator Notice:

In most cases, Soundcloud uses a bandwidth of only 128 kbps. As a result, what you hear isn't free of artefacts, especially the high end. For critical listening and also product comparison, please keep that in mind. Users who setup a comparison should use linear wave files and supply dropbox links.

Cameron -

Moderator Notice:

In most cases, Soundcloud uses a bandwidth of only 128 kbps. As a result, what you hear isn't free of artefacts, especially the high end. For critical listening and also product comparison, please keep that in mind. Users who setup a comparison should use linear wave files and supply dropbox links.

Thoughts welcomed.

Well curiosity got the best of me...

I bought the $40 Aldrich DI profile. I have some initial thoughts but first I'd like to record a comparison demo between mine and Mark's. I'll be out of town for a few days later this week so I may not get to it until sometime next week, but I'll definitely throw up a link here once it's done.

really diggin the first di you made can you make some di,s of the other camerons you have like the first 5.06 one you made thanks and peace

I have posted a couple DI profiles of the CCV but plan to redo them using the Kemper DI box. Also, just as an FYI - I'll most likely be releasing a complete CCV commercial pack in the near future including both DI and studio profiles (with various mics/cabs/speakers).

@Webb, did you just do a regular old DI on yours? Perhaps the Kemper DI box? Just wondering how it compares to the 6 month refined "secret proprietary method" used in the Official Cameron DI that, to my ears, doesn't sound as crisp.

I wish I could say I stumbled onto some top secret profiling method, but the truth is I spent about 10 minutes total on the DI profiles. Amp to Kemper DI box to KPA return. It was actually my first DI attempt with the Kemper DI box since I just got it last week. I like it better than the Neve DI I was using previously.

the DI is great and also having mark's, i can give a little comparison. Marks has a low mid that seems to be baked in, webb's is a little more open on the top end and has more grind where Mark's has more thick. the DI really works well into a cab or i used it with various celestion ir's and it works great. (cant say enough about the celestion ir's) the studio aldrich is good but i prefer the DI with celestions, its a little more punchy and in your face. these profiles are as good as any paid for profiles out there

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Appreciate the review.

Webb what an effort brother, to me they sound great!! I suggest messaging Jason he may give you the DI test profile to compare :)

Ash

I like the last with added cab a tad more. I have tried the others with cabs from Tills, Celestions, etc and sometimes the result is great.

Hi! I've just tried your DI profile with many Two Notes and Ownhammer cabs and it's an awesome profile.

Thank you very much for sharing it!

Thanks guys...glad you dig it. Cheers!

Anyone care to share any feedback? Either on how it compares to the $40 profile or just in general?

I keep going back to the one with the added cab (Aldrich 5/7 T2 Marsh). I think it does the 80's metal thing great but then again I might be biased and my ears are probably shot. Someone please confirm or deny what I'm hearing because my ears are still ringing from all the profiling I've been doing lately. :D

Thanks. I gave them a quick go (only in headphones unfortunately). The low end is a bit more clean, it's still really high gain at least on my EMG's, i can try another pickup tomorrow. I'll also let you know what i think it sounds like when i hear what i played through my car (where i can tell better than the headphones). Do you have any clips of the actual amp recorded for comparison to the profiles you recorded?

I don't have clips of the actual amp but could probably record something next week.

Anyone have a chance to try the one with the cabinet added?

Here's a quick (and by quick I mean QUICK) test mix using the Aldrich 5/7 T2 Marsh profile. 2 guitars left and right straight to the Kemper through the same profile with no post processing. Pretty much just put the levels up and bounced it out.

Moderator Notice:

And here is an excerpt with guitars only...

Moderator Notice:

I probably need to get better at this but I tried a few different IR's from other profiles, including the one Ash suggested (from the merged Tonehammer profiles), and the low end is just too round for me. It's making me wish I had a traditional cab lying around to try and plug it in direct.

Did you try it without the EQ? I like to boost the low end a bit when playing through a guitar cab to give it a little more punch, but usually disable the EQ when playing through FRFR. I'll add one of my cabinet profiles to the DI and post it in a few.