Posts by fretboardminer

No, Sir. I am not trying to patronize you. I am just trying to bring your awareness to the fact that in the whole dispute about expression pedals and KPA you never, ever answered to any comment concerning the problem of inertia in pedals.

Certainly inertia will never be cured by custom curves. So you can draw back on saying that it is a problem of others, of the manufacturers of those pedals. And would be right in saying so.

I just stated it in the humble hope I might stir up your estimated attention to the idea of really pristine expression pedals made by the KEMPER company itself.

I explicitly repeat again that is was never my intention to insult or patronize nither you nor your company.

And now, Christoph, I have to prepare myself and my equipment for playing two festival gigs this weekend. So I won't read and certainly not answer any KEMPER-FORUM stuff before next week.

sincerly
    Olaf

Dear Olaf,

I have read the full communication now, and I remember I was involved. Since Burkhard does not have deep knowledge about technical facts, that don't belong to the FAQ, he forwarded this question to me back in February. It was on my desk for a few days, before I answered. I am bringing this topic back, because you seem to be a quite demanding guy, and you linked to this thread from an actual thread. I haven't been aware of this thread yet.

"I have read the full communication now" <=> "I remember I was involved" <=> "I haven't been aware of this thread yet."

Dear Christoph,
    I do certainly not believe, that you might ever have read any "full communication" at all. What. So. Ever. !!!

If you don't hear back from our support immediately, it might be that your request was lower priorized compared to questions of other users for instant trouble shooting or improving our product in general.

Thanx, HAL, I love you!

In this case it was my personal priorization, that you got an answer not before a week. Other companies would not have answered at all to a question, that is technically trivial to those, that have skills to make their own expression pedal.

We are talking about a support issue that I stated half a year ago and that, from my side is solved long time ago!

I just stumbled over this misleading statement. In fact we have been and are actively working with various other companies' experts to develop complementary products. Uno4Kemper is an excellent example.

When you raised your request back in February you were mentioning, that you are no techncial expert, I transmitted clarifying comments and questions from our engineering team on Feb 25th and after clarification you got the following documented answer - in native language - on Feb 27th.:

nach Auskunft steht der KPA default auf "Roland", d.h. Schleifer auf "TIP" und Potiende auf "Ring". der Widerstandswert sollte 10K - 100K betragen und linear sein. Generell ist die Zuordnung am Klinkenstecker frei definierbar und der Range kann kalibriert werden.

Some clarifications just for the records of whoever is interested in this:

1) It took a week indeed from my first email to KEMPER support until your first answer. I still have the emails here.
    My first question was Feb 19th, the first human answer came in Feb 25th, the solution (with the values and pot-contacts) came Feb 27th.

2) My statement "the KEMPER company is not willing to support the development of "complementary products"" is not a quotation from any Kemper personel. It was just my personal interpretation of the situation. I should have made this clearer.

3) Yes, later, after a bit of to and fro per email (and after another frustrated post on the forum) you ultimately sent me all the info needed by email. I forgot to mention it here on the forum. But you could have done it yourself – if it is so important for you?
    Well, now you did.
    Period.

BTW: I put those values in the wiKPA. Maybe someone else will build the KPexp pedal.

Do you get the bumps on your FV 500, when used as an expression pedal with the profiler?

Yes, EXP controlling the volume at post MOD. 1) Sudden bumps in the middle of the pedal curve. Plus: 2) a very unmusical, sudden start of the fade in, which means it does not come in smoothly but stumbles in quite suddenly. (No, no zero point problem: heel-down is zero)
    1) can be cured with contact spray, 2) can't, it is always there.

Btw: I have a Yamaha FC-7 I used it as a musician, now for tests. I used it for about 20 years, but it runs flawlessly today.

Your should try a HILTON pedal just to know what a flawless pedal is. There is no other with such a low inertia. (Maybe the optical GOODRICH. I don't have it but it should be mentioned.)

It might help if we stopped adding features and parameters by firmware updates. Then we could fix the page numbers and sync it with the manual forever.

On page 21 the Reference Manual says:"At the minimum position, the pedal performs the swell from zero level, just as you would expect from an analog volume pedal. When you turn “Volume Pedal Range” to the left half, the volume pedal turns from an attenuation pedal into a booster pedal."

I reported this typo a few weeks ago and got no response what so ever.

Even adding your custom curves would shift some of the submenu positions :)

I don't see it as "my custom curves". In recent time majorities are starting to shift. There are more and more other players having problems with the feel and response of expression pedals.

Problems with inertia and dead spots have nothing to do with lin or log pots – they appear in volume pedals as well as in dedicated expression pedals. I tried to convince Keith Hilton to build an expression pedal but I failed. I still do cherish hopes that KEMPER will produce a pedal that is as musical and well done as the KPA is.

Hilton's curve seems to be neither lin nor log. It is a very musically designed colour gradient between the LED and LDR. This makes the producer independent from the components you can find on the market. You don't have to buy any pots with certain caracteristics, because you produce your own gradient that exactly fits your needs.

Custom curves in the receiving unit would admittedly not solve the problem of inertia either. But they would help a bit with other problems such like dead spots and reactivity.

I have the Boss FV-500 here. It is incredibly inert! And after three months it started to produce really irregular bumps in the middle of the curve. They can be cured with contact spray for a while but then always reappear again after two more weeks of use.

But obviously the other makers of these nice pedals don't have digital players on the radar.

Sigh!
    That's ecactly the problem! :(

Is there a 'screen' somewhere on the KPA that will show the values returned from the expression pedal?

It's somewhere in the System Menue, where you also can calibrate the pedals. I don't have my KPA here right now so I looked it up in the Manual and (as often) only find a big mess: on Page 20 it says "You can monitor the changing swell value of the pedal on soft knobs 2 and 4." but it does not bother to mention where in the numerous submenues of the unit this is hidden. Who knows what they were drinking when they wrote that manual.

Now I used my favourite sound in Performance Mode for a while and want all the new little tweaks and changes that I made in the meantime, to be stored as a new Rig in Browse Mode. And was surprised to see that this is not so easy. Pressing the Store button only stores the Performance once again.

Does anybody know how I can store one Slot of a Performance as a completely new Rig?

I use the Dunlop Volume X. It is built like a tank and has functionality beyond a typical expression pedal. Check it out:
    Dunlop Volume X :thumbup:

Sounds interesting! I have googled a while and can't find any more detailed description than: "Pat. Pending Dunlop Steel Band Drive for frictionless, highly reliable action". That's more a promise than a description.

Can you describe it better? Does the mechanism really keep to this promise?

which one is ... "the best"

If you don't have high demands with regards to ergonomics, sensitivity and electronic stability, any of the marketed ones will do.
    If you do have high demands and think of expression pedals as musical instruments, none of them will do.

Basically they are all similarly insensitive crap. Only the exterior mechanical robustness improves with higher prices. But this higher robustness will also involve higher inertia. So actually it is even better to buy a new cheapo pedal every three months.

My all time favourite analog volume pedal and benchmark is the HILTON . Sadly it is not possible to use it as an expression pedal.

It is on SYSTEM menue page 8/9.

You probably did not find it because you used the wrong magic word: it is not "Delete all but favorites", but "erase non-favorites".

BTW: if you open the manual and search for "erase non-favorites" you will read: "Dokument wurde durchsucht. Keine Treffer". Which in english means "The user manual is a big inconsistent mess"

Sorry, I can't tell you more about that process because I never used this feature. I can recomend Total Commander for managing your rig-fleet.

A volume pedal has a different curve than an expression pedal. If you connect an Ernie Ball volume pedal directly to the Profiler instead of an expression pedal the response is suboptimal by design.

I have tested quite a few volume pedals and expression pedals and I can't agree to this. IMHO there are only minor differences between them, they are all more or less "suboptimal by design" which means: coarse, inert and insensitive.

The best way to solve all these issues with varying pedal-sensitivity is to offer custum curves in the KPA software. Until then the only solution for players with higher demands on the performance and ergonomics of a volume pedal is to hook a good, analog volume pedal into the effects loop of the KPA.

BUT the OP is describing a dead spot of more than 50% of the pedal. Even a really bad expression pedal should deliver better. I don't know the FCB1010 but there seems to be some other problem too.

In slang words of any languages positive appraisal is the field with the broadest variations. This leads to funny creations. My personal favourite is the french: "Le KPA sonne vachement bien."

My second favourite is the german: "Saugutohmanechtoleckey!"

I am looking for a footswitch that switches stomps momentarily. Which means: when you push the switch the stomp is ON and when you release it, the stomp goes OFF again. This could for example switch a Reverb that acts like the right pedal of a piano.

Technically this is tricky for a footswitch because it needs a switch that quickly closes and opens again when it is pushed down and then, when it is released it quickly closes and opens once again. Haven't seen such a switch anywhere. Do you?

passed two days ,, no one answers (((

Summer is sooo short in Berlin ... 8)
    I for instance was recording accoustic guitar.
    No Kemper last week...

The pedal range can be set in the RIG menue page 3 the second knob.

i don`t find any solutions on forum and manuals

It is in the reference manual page 21.

But don't let it confuse you, IMHO there is a typo: "When you turn “Volume Pedal Range” to the left half, the volume pedal turns from an attenuation pedal into a booster pedal." just makes no sense unless you read it as: "When you turn “Volume Pedal Range” to the right half, the volume pedal turns from an attenuation pedal into a booster pedal."

Anyway what you want to do, volume from -3/4 at heeldown until maximum at toedown should be somewhere around -3,5 or so.

"added: continuous pedal calibration " - in the latest beta firmware

I also never understood what exactly this means. I guess it means that the pedal calibration does not have to be done again after a reboot.

1) Needs

buy an amp which should satisfy my needs

Dr. Z Maz 8, TwoRock Studio Pro 35, Bogner Goldfinger, Bogner Duende

so you have already quite a fleet of good amps. If you know exactly what is missing - get it. If not, the Profiler might be helpful, because it is very versatile. Maybe what you are missing is not a new amp but the possibility to taylor the sound of your existing amps. That is another point where the KEMPER is realy great at. I don't think of the KEMPER as another amp, to me it is more like a recorder. Or better: a "Profiler". BTW: I would never sell any amps just because I have done a profile of it. There are so many different ways of how to do a profile...

2) Sweet spot
    Another big problem when playing at home is that most amps only sound good at their sweet spot - which is usually quite loud. Unless you are really independent from noise-sensitive neighbors the KEMPER Profiler is perfect for playing the sweet spot sound at any volume. I have tested a lot of power attenuators and other stuff - and nothing comes close to profiling your favourite amp and then playing it through the KEMPER.