Posts by fretboardminer

I could do without buying a MIIDI controller if there is a way how to assign the first expression pedal to volume between the stomp- and the amp section. I see it only fixed assigned to the wah-wah. I need the second expression pedal for overall volume all at the end of the "chain".

Is there a way I can do this, or do I just have to be patient until future updates will cover this?

@ fretboardminer - perhaps you're just a terrible speller :D

Yäs, spilling is allso not rally my fävouritt sobject. :D
    Especially not now, sitting in the Swiss alps typing on a small netbook keyboard.

By now I decided to stay with the KPA because I think it is a really innovative tool worth to give it a more thorough try. But it also might take a while until I dare to play a solo gig with it ...

I am mostly for crunch sounds and I am still not really definitively decided about my KPA. But what I can tell you is: for a nice power amp overdrive you either need some power attenuator or (like I did) a small amp (my Fender EC Vibrochamp) in combination with another, bigger amp. And both of this definitively takes away much of that natural high end shiny chimes of a nice amp on its own. Also: I want that power amp overdrive sound so that I can control the volume after the poweramp distortion with a footpedal. There is no powersoak in the world that can do this - the KPA can.

On editing rigs I found out that the chimey brilliance is best to be controlled with a studio EQ in the stomp section, that means BEFORE the amp module. To boost the highest frequences before the amp module is way much better than dialling up the presence control which is placed after the amp. With a modestly narrow boost as high as 6K or even 8K you can handle this whithout sounding harsh on the louder attacks. This is quite realstically brilliant on soft, clean notes and more "woody", muffled on stronger notes that go into overdrive, because the overdrive kind of ducks down the high end.

I know for a mayority of players it does't matter if the footswitches do loud mechanical clicks or not, but if there is the slightest possibility to find footswitches that are rugged and sensitive, but yet operate silently this would do a big favour to those players (like me) who also want to use the electric guitar in concerts with lower volume range (for instance a duo with a cello ... ), where audible klicks can be quite annoying.

Four jacks for external expression pedals - that's awesome!

Man, I should be sitting on the computer working for some of my freelance jobs - instead I spend the whole day playing guitar...

And I just now tried out to plug the KPA again into the instrument in of my Twin Reverb Reissue.

• Software updated
    • that new profile from Andy
    • cabinet switched off
    • your proposals for settings (mostly presence and treble down a bit did the job)

and you now what: it is amazing!!! Just ridiculously good tone!!!
    That Kemp thing scares me more and more!!!
    8o

Was that the 57 Twin that came in AND44's first pack?

Yeah!
    I don't know which is the number of the pack - I got it from >> here >> .
    It is a great profile! And, most important of all, it is really dry and tight. I am still new to KPA but I think this is decisive, that the profiles don't bring you another "room" into the room that you play in.

You need a good profile to start with. But that is not all why I am so fascinated about the KPA. If you have a great ("real", hardware) amp standing before you on a stage at soundcheck that does not mean that you will have a good guitar sound later in the concert. There is always the volume problem of dimed amps and even with the best of the best attenuators you still have one fixed volume setting for the hole gig. And so many other settings, that all in all can bring you very far away from the tone you like...

How can I determine where the volume pedal (my expression pedal plugged into switch/pedal #2 at the back of the Kemp) is in the whole signal chain? I want it to be all at the end. Now it seems to be somewhere before the amp - I don't want the gain to go down together with the volume. I think I have read it somewhere, but can't find it. Could anybody please give me a hint.

thnx
    Olaf

I don't want to make the Profiler a complex tool

Well when there will be a power amp to fill that hole in the back, all these monitor problems will probably be solved (i.e. avoided).

BTW: Today I found a Tweed Twin setting that sounds better than any real amp I played until now. That Kemp is scary!!! :D

You could solve all these problems by playing your Profiler studio sound FRFR, or PA or in-ear, as the majority of pro's do. Singers and keyboarders have always done that. Your FOH guy will love it!

It is always a wise to avoid problems instead of solving problems later. On larger gigs the PA or a FRFR speaker is certainly the way to go but I sometimes have (want) to play also in smaller venues where there is no PA and they just have any kind of amp for me. I could use my Empress ParaEq between the KPA and the monitor amp but why carry hardware (and another power supply) when it already is all there inside the Kemp?

I guess what I will do is to use only one rig. I could be happy with just one ampsound for a gig if it is really sensitive and expressive. Then I would use the studio EQ in the X position.

I don't want to make the Profiler a complex tool to correct the individual flaws of the surrounding equipment. We will not go beyond the four band eq for main and monitor eq.

It also helps a lot if your equipment is able to sound good in tougher environments on the road. Maybe a solution could be to stay with the four band EQs on main and monitor and add a second page with just one full parametrical band? Or a button to choose between four band and Studio EQ? Press the button: Studio EQ, depress it: regular four band EQ.

BTW: this is my fourth day with the KPA. The more I play it, the more I love it!!!

What's wrong with the monitor eq?

The four controls have nice frequencies for general tuning of the sound. But I would love to have also at least one full parametric band that could help me

1) cure sharp spike frequencies that some shitty backline amps have. These are narrow band resonance peaks in the upper mids. I can't explain where they come from but I had it often on old, badly cared for amps in clubs. It sounds like a nasty metalic tone but it actually is just one howling frequency. Rusty silberface Twins really like do do this and a little bit of narrow band attenuation can do magic to the sound.

2) iron out some booming low frequency resonances in the room that appeare some times on narrow, crowdes clubs when the amp can only be placed in an awkward position.

3) maybe it also helps to find a better way to connect to an instrument input with the cabinet switched off. In my Litte-Big-Amp setup with a real Champ > DI-box > Twin I used an Empress ParaEq between a fullrange DI-Box (no cabsim) and the Twin to attenuate the 3000Hz at a narrow band. That often did the job quite well.

But I still don't really understand how the KPA is able to take out the cabinet from a profile that is recorded with a mic and speaker. Seems like a kind of reverse engineering. Need more time to try out different setups with different monitor amps ...

depends..if the original cab is saved by itself you can just select it

That is exactly what puzzles me: in my KPA there are just a few of all the cabinets used saved. So it can happen that you check out a new Rig, you just want to try how this new Rig sounds with a different cabinet and then there is no way back. Except the method that and44 proposed:

simply turn the browse knob to a new rig, and back again

So I guess the only way is to store a cab that I find interesting first as a cab so that it is available in other rigs. Well that's ok. I was just hoping there is something like a ESCAPE button like on my computer, that you can hit and it exits without saving the changes I made.

I am new to KPA. There are so many rigs preinstalled, but when I want to browse the cabinet (or the amplifier) I only find just a few of them in the list that appears there. Am I doing something wrong or do I have to save myself those cabinets and amps that I would like to have in the amp- and cabinet browse list?

Another (stupid) beginners question: when I browse the cabinets the autoload activates it immediatly. Thats fine, but how can I get out without having this one stored? Is there an ESC-button?
    Is there an easy way to reload a rig, discarding the changes that I made since last store?
    Is there an indicator that shows me that changes have been made to a rig?

many thanks
    Olaf

Sorry didn't see this for a while.... did you plug into the guitar input....
    I'l have to try this tomorrow... so you went monitor out, cab off straight into input...
    thanks
    steve

Got my Profiler only yesterday but I shurely will have to face this problem often: when I play in smaller a venue that only have the choice between a trashy PA system or a blackface Fender Twin I would be happy if I find a way to connect the KPA to the Twin. But these old amps don't have POWERAMP INs.

I checked exactly this today with my Twin Reverb reissue - with the levels it is quit possible to handle this. But the problem is the cabinet of the KPA. With the cabinet ON it sounds phase-shifted and muddy, with the cabinet OFF it sounds a bit too brittle.

Well I am very new to KPA but I hope they will soon update the software for the EQ in the monitor output section. Could be useful to have the STUDIO EQ also available there.

Another good idea might be a MIX control in the cabinet section. Like the PALMER PGA04 has it. I had the same problem when I was trying to connect my Champ (as kind of preamp) with INSTRUMENT IN of the Twin. With a speaker sim DI (between amp and speaker of the Champ) it was too muddy and with a linear DI it was too brittle. With the PALMER PGA04 I could get a nice sound by just adding a little bit of linear signal to the cab signal. Maybe this could solve this problem here with the KPA too.

Just dreaming ...