Posts by radaget

hi

I have an unpowered kemper toaster and two powered kabinets which I'm looking forward to using.

A couple of questions have come into my head..

1- is it possible to play through the kabinets in stereo and at the same time as through Studio monitors at the same time? I'm not entirely sure why I would want to do this other than create a wall of sound but it could be fun.

2- using the 2 kemper kabinets, it is possible to create the doubling / thickening effect somehow by having a very slightly different signal to each of them. I have this idea in my head that that would sound awesome in the studio.

And If anyone has some other cool way of setting up the kemper and kabinets, feel free to give me some advice please.

Thanks

Thanks for your replies / guidance.

I'm not particularly technical. It appears that it's not ideal to use other modelers.

With the clever stuff going on in the Kemper amp, I thought that using the Kabinet would be no less predictable than say using another modeler with another powered frfr cab.

But the Kone itself I imagine has been designed specifically for the Kemper Amp so it makes sense that it would add some kind of unwanted or unmatched flavour to different tone generators.

It's a bit of a pain. I do have the unpowered Kemper amp but didn't want to have to double up on the whole ecosystem to be able use other technologies.

Hi

Just a couple of questions about the new Kabinet. I bought a very early non powered Kemper and quiet eager to get myself a couple of the Kabinets to use in stereo. But I don't know what's best to power these or whether to wait for the powered Kabinet. So in summary....:

- Does anyone have experience or have a view on what the best power amp would be to power the Kabinet available now? I was wondering if there's any reason to go down the Fryette LXII Stereo Tube Power Amp route or whether the intelligence in the Kemper makes the 'tubeness' of this amp redundant or if in fact it would enhance the experience and make it even more awesome than it already is. I know it's expensive but I thought I'd ask :-).

- How far are we from getting a powered Kabinet?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Hi all..

I love Brendan Bensons live sound with his Vox AC30HW2, Guild M-75 Aristocrat with P90's, and a Spontaneous Audio Devices Son of Kong pedal (that's all he uses). So much so that I am thinking about attempting to mod my Michael Kelly Velor with P.90 pickups, acquiring a Son of Kong pedal (sounds incredible) and routing them through a Laney VC30 amp (I know this will have limitations but I really like the amp).

But I was wondering.....could I do this through the Kemper even better? What would I use? The SoK pedal is a high quality clean gain pedal with parametric eq, buffering and DI.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Andrew. Thanks for the heads up. I had seen And44's alias when I was searching for a 'best AC30' profile so I will definitely hunt those profiles out. I went to see Brendan Benson (Raconteurs) recently and the sound that he managed to get from his AC30 set up was truly staggering. I had never heard anything like it before. I know that the venue, guitar and other equipment will have a huge impact on the end result, but to me, the sound he produced was stomach churningly awesome. If I could ever get the Kemper to sound that good - would need power amp and cab me thinks - I think I would consider retiring, sitting at home and listening to that all day. Just basic chords sounded so emotion tuggingly good.

I've never heard a Lazy J amp. I imagine most people haven't given their boutique status and price. But in my imagination, I hear it sounding like the above but even better.

I feel extremely lucky to be getting back into music and music recording at the age of 44 and after so many decades having forgotten why I loved using multiple tape recorders just to add additional tracks. What you can achieve these days with technology is amazing. The Kemper is just another huge step forward on that path. Who knows where it will end up.

Andrew - when I bought the Kemper, do you know it actually didn't cross my mind about the advantages in terms of computer performance and cutting down on the need for some VST's on tracks. For me, using a 5 year old Sony Vaio trying to utilise current VSTi's, you're right. That is a massive additional bonus.

Thanks again.

Tim

PPS
    I know that people and markets dictate what will happen regarding profile provision etc. My initial point was that given this is so much in it's infancy, we have the chance to drive it in a certain direction. I fully embrace the new technology and user profiles being uploaded. That's part of the fun if you can do it. It's just that it would be best in my opinion to try to group / class these properly and not get to a stage where there are millions of profiles and no way of knowing which are best. You wouldn't be able to try them all. I don't want to just 'stumble' on a good one. That's for the users / forum to drive.
    More importantly, for the 'market' chargeable side of things, my point was that I would much rather get Kemper to do it so that it's more organised and has a known quality of control. Users could vote and pay for certain models knowing that their money was going to be pumped back into development and future updates / releases. Once enough users embrace this, it would be more difficult for lone opportunists trying to milk and take advantage of profile hungry users.
    Tim

Hi both..
    Thanks for the replies.
    Neil - I have Amplitube 3 too. I haven't had chance to compare the two. I am fully expecting the Kemper to be way better, but then I never really used Amplitube to it's fullest potential. I quite liked the Fender version as that's the kind of tone I like. I'm truly hoping the Kemper does this better. I'm also wondering if Amplitube will have any merits now that I've bought the Kemper or if I'll never launch it again.
    Thanks
    Tim
    PS - I really would like a Lazy J profile. We always want what we can't or don't have!!

Hi
    Apologies if this has been asked before...
    I think if I was to buy a tube amp and I had the money, it would be the Lazy J 40. Are there any profiles of this boutique amp anywhere?
    Also, having read a number of threads, I agree that the number of profiles could 'proliferate' and become unmanageable. Is there any way of scoring them. Better still I'd be in favour of the majority of profiles being produced in-house. That way quality control would be gauranteed and you would know that it was pretty much as good a profile of a particular amp you could achieve. It wouldn't mean Kemper owning the gear, just hiring it. I'd pay a small sum so that collectively we could request profiles of such good quality. I know this would take 'some' of the fun out of it (personal profiling would still be an option) but for me, I'm not going to be in a position to profile gear to a good enough standard (in terms of finance and technical knowledge). I'm definitely NOT in favour of others setting up sites and charging for profiles. That to me is very much different. Yes they've gone to the expense of getting the gear but it is opportunism. I would rather pay Kemper so that the money could go into further developing what is very much a product / technology that is in it's infancy.
    Hope that makes sense.
    Tim

Greetings all,
    Firstly, I must say I'm EXTREMELY excited to join the Kemper Revolution.
    It arrived last Friday and through reasons beyond my control, I still haven't been able to plug in and play as yet. How awful is that!
    I took my time before taking the plunge. Although very good value for money, it's not cheap for most people. Me being one of the most.
    I don't think I've read a single bad review about the unit in the months of scanning the net. Quite impressive. I loved the Nashville profiling sessions video on YouTube. It may be just me, but it seemed as though the engineer, guitarist didn't want to be impressed and mocked it (inwardly) for as long as possible until the realisation hit that, actually, this piece of equipment is awesome. By the end of the video, sheer musician enthusiasm shone through. I will have to watch that again.
    Anyway, I'm connecting for the first time. I have a Novation Nio 2|4 interface which is quite basic and unsure what the best way to connect the Kemper to it is. I thought about taking it out of the loop and connecting to my KRK RP10-3 monitors (also awesome!) but would obviously need it for home recording. This Nio only has one guitar cable input, one 3 pin input and a stereo phono line in input.
    Do I need another interface??
    Thanks in advance.
    Tim
    PS - My next questions are going to be around live use and which power amp / speaker cab is best :-).