Posts by r3tex

I thought I read somewhere here on the forum that somebody had tried to connect it to a computer and found a webserver?

If the RJ45 port is a serial port then it shouldn't be hard to build an RS232 adapter, and perhaps connect a null-modem debugger? :D
    Darn. I won't get my hands on one until I get back from the US in a few weeks. X(

You can get hard rt kernels for Linux, even standard kernels now provide soft rt.

Linux will never be able to do real-time. It's nice that it has a few agressive schedulers to choose from, but the only hard real-time option you have with Linux is to add a sort of hypervisor under that round-robins the kernel and your code. If you're going to code your own interrupt handlers, drivers and so forth, what's the point of using Linux? It has other nice components that don't need to be real-time? Speaking of which, how fast is patch-switching on the KPA?

Also, I'm still waiting for Kemper to post the source code for the KPA.

Get your feet wet here:

I remember we used these as reference in my VHDL courses. Never made any useful chips myself though.

Hmm, makes sense that they need a separate DSP chip for audio.
    Linux isn't a real-time OS! You usually have to overcompensate the hardware to make guarantees about frame timings.
    Linux is only cheap if your time is worthless. ^^

I just saw a post saying that there's a webserver on the KPA. Someone should nmap the sucker and see what kernel it's running!
    Speaking of which, IF it's running Linux, Kemper Amps would have to release the source code to be GPL compliant. :wacko:

Not sure what you mean by Motorola environment.. :wacko: sorry
    I'm just a K&R C and kernel development fan :)
    and would love to hear the reasoning behind including a huge general-purpose kernel like Linux in the KPA.
    It must be expensive, both hardware-wise and developer-wise?

I'm wondering what OS kernel is used in the KPA firmware?
    I'm asking because I noticed in job postings that Kemper is looking for an embedded Linux engineer familiar with ARM.