Posts by SliderJeff

I'm hoping that whenever this does come out, it has enough bandwidth to allow for full use of a 5-string bass in standard or 1/2-step down tuning. My gut says that I'm dreaming for that type of frequency response in a 12" speaker, but one can dream.

Jeff

Relistening to a bunch of the old Shrapnel Records catalog that I have. Decided to hit some of the 90's era stuff, today. These guys are ultra talented on every instrument. Vocally, think Alice In Chains for the 1995 self-titled release here:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And from their "2012" release, with Daniel Tomkins (Tesseract) on vox.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And a very cool instrumental from the same album:

Enjoy,
    Jeff

And, at least the general rule of thumb from most well known producers of this genre is, "turn down your gain". It will allow for better note definition without the loss of brutality once you've got 4 or more tracks playing the same tight rhythms.

Any chance you have fluorescent lights in the rehearsal space? Many times those are the cause of unwanted noise. You can also do the grounding issue test to see if touching your strings, output jack, pickup pole pieces, etc. cause the noise to disappear.. or at least attenuate.

Jeff

For reference, here's what he used on the title track:

“I was using that Black Boogie Strat into a very early Chandler Tube Driver. I had three or four of them at the time, and I would go right into an early-'70s Marshall 100-watt head, into a 4x12, and that's how we pretty much did that particular song. And we just made adjustments to the amount of distortion that was generated from the Chandler Tube Driver.

I hadn't plugged in a wah-wah pedal in five or six years. And I'm leaving my apartment and I'm looking around like, ‘Shall I bring something else?’

“When we went to do the melody, there's a funny story with that. We were looking for a sound, and the day that I was leaving to go into the studio, I hadn't plugged in a wah-wah pedal in five or six years. And I'm leaving my apartment and I'm looking around like, ‘Shall I bring something else?’ And there's the dusty wah-wah pedal in the corner and I just looked at it and I thought, ‘Maybe I should bring that. Maybe that's what I need.’

“I got to the studio, I remember I said, ‘I've got this wah-wah pedal.’ And John looked at me like, ‘You haven't played a wah-wah pedal since I've known you.’ But I said, ‘Well, let's just try it.’ So I plugged that into the Tube Driver and that's going into the Marshall, and then we said, ‘We need something else.’ So he goes, ‘Well, we've got this Eventide 949 [Harmonizer] here.’ And John dials up that weird stereo sound where it was like a straight signal on the left and I think on the right it was like minus 11 cents or something like that.

“We had 20 minutes left of the session that afternoon at Studio C in Hyde Street, and we were so excited with the sound, we did this one big pass from the beginning all the way to the end while people were standing at the door, the client with their arms folded looking at us like, ‘Stop playing guitar and get out of our studio. We've got four o'clock.’

For Ice 9:

“On that one, I'm using a Boss DS-1 and the overdrive, OD-1, I think. I'm playing my ’60s P-Bass, but I think that's where the rhythm guitars are the DS-1, so they're a bit crunchier. For the solos, I believe it's a Rockman [headphone amp], and we just used one channel of the Rockman and put it up on the middle, flat and dry. I mean, that's about as dry as I've ever recorded. Simple legato technique and just crazy all over the place.

Satch Boogie:

“That’s the Kramer into a DS-1 into the Marshall 100-watt. The main head of the song John used a shotgun mic, and then when the solos come in, we use a 57 right up against the grille cloth - that's why it becomes more in your face.

Midnight:

“But that's what I did. So I played my black Boogie Strat direct into a mic preamp, right to the tape machine and then we used some sort of stereo chorus and some beautiful reverb, and I recorded all the pieces. I used a little Casio CZ-101 to record the flute, if you can believe it.

Echo:
    “We used a [Roland] JC-120 for almost all of Echo. John had a very clever way of recording the JC-120 with six different microphones, an [AKG] C12A and this and that, and using the DS-1. It was just really interesting how we got a lot of mileage out of that amp. It was the perfect antidote to the Marshall stack or the little Silverface Pro Reverb or Princeton that was there that we used for a lot of the album, too.

That should get you started. Based on some other things I've read, Boss DS-1 into a clean Marshall 6100 is the core tone.

HTH,
    Jeff

Have youy checked Rig Manager? There are at least two Surfin' era rigs on there. You can also search for key words in RM like "Satch", "Satriani", "Surf", etc...

HTH,

Jeff

BTW, can someone explain to me the "that guy" reference? I don't think I have a clue who TJ is... unless it's the resurrected corpse of Thomas Jefferson, in which, case, WELCOME BACK, ZOMBIE TOMMY J.! :)

I remain,

Clearly off my meds

Thanks for the heads up, BulldogXTRM! With 21419 profiles currently in my Rig Manager... I haven't had a chance to even make a minor dent in auditioning profiles to find out what I like, but this definitely made me want to push yours close to the top! Thanks again!

FWIW, I'm more of an "In Search Of Truth" lover when it comes to EG tones.

Jeffro

Sorry, Chris Duncan , I'm afraid that neither was the correct preference we were looking for. It was, somewhat suprisingly, "steam-powered marital aids" that was the only true preferential answer. Watch your naughty bits, kids... steam hurts. ;)

Jeffro

Why am I getting flashbacks to, "Less filling! TASTES GREAT!!!"

"You can call me 'Ray', or you can call me 'Jay', but you can't call me 'late release of the editor'" :)

I'm old and have a remarkable memory for stupid commercials of my youth,
    Jeffro

Using the word, "Logic", and having the opinion that "all high gain sounds the same" is either the thoughts of someone with severe hearing impairment, a lack of appreciation for anything other than clean tones, or the overwhelming need to troll internet forums so they can regurgitate whatever the latest quip is to put down anyone who attempts to play rock or metal. While YMMV when it comes to LIKING a particular tone, the science alone speaks for itself that there are inherent auditory differences in the frequency spectrum alone which would account for more or less differences between high gain amps.

All that being said, thanks for putting together the vid. I'll take a peek/listen this evening... though I have no doubt that my ears will tell me they are as different as apples and lawnmowers. :)

Regards,

Jeffro

Hey kids,

I was trying to track down any of the DV Mark amps that Greg Howe uses and saw that this place was supposed to have the precursor to Greg's signature unit, the Maragold, profiled, but it looks like all of their profiles on their store are "Not Available". Anyone know what happened to them or if there is someone else peddling a profile of that model?

Thanks,

Jeffro