Posts by SliderJeff

Why am I getting flashbacks to, "Less filling! TASTES GREAT!!!"

"You can call me 'Ray', or you can call me 'Jay', but you can't call me 'late release of the editor'" :)

I'm old and have a remarkable memory for stupid commercials of my youth,
    Jeffro

Using the word, "Logic", and having the opinion that "all high gain sounds the same" is either the thoughts of someone with severe hearing impairment, a lack of appreciation for anything other than clean tones, or the overwhelming need to troll internet forums so they can regurgitate whatever the latest quip is to put down anyone who attempts to play rock or metal. While YMMV when it comes to LIKING a particular tone, the science alone speaks for itself that there are inherent auditory differences in the frequency spectrum alone which would account for more or less differences between high gain amps.

All that being said, thanks for putting together the vid. I'll take a peek/listen this evening... though I have no doubt that my ears will tell me they are as different as apples and lawnmowers. :)

Regards,

Jeffro

Hey kids,

I was trying to track down any of the DV Mark amps that Greg Howe uses and saw that this place was supposed to have the precursor to Greg's signature unit, the Maragold, profiled, but it looks like all of their profiles on their store are "Not Available". Anyone know what happened to them or if there is someone else peddling a profile of that model?

Thanks,

Jeffro

Hey kids,

I just came across this issue where someone posted that they uploaded several new patches to the Rig Exchange, yet I couldn't see them in Rig Manager (2.1.76). Once I closed RM and reopened it, the sync of RE happened and I could see the newly uploaded patches. Is there a way to actually FORCE RM to sync with RE while it's open, or do I need to close and re-open it every time I want that to happen?

Thanks,

Jeffro

My usual go-to statement about Marketing and Sales folks... "Wait, it compiled? SHIP IT!!! I already sold 1 trillion of these (by promising feature(s) that were never in-scope) and I'm about to make the company zillions!"

Needless to say, I've been on both sides of that particular fence in my ~30 years of working for Texas Instruments and the small company I work for now. Some of the things said about engineers have been true... and some of the stuff that the engineers say about Sales and Marketing also have basis in the truth, at least in my experience. That being said, since I'm an Electrical Engineer by degree but a certified PMP, I tend to side with the sparkies more often than not, though trying to wrangle them, keep them on schedule, under budget, and within scope, is a full time job. :)

We now return you to, "When does Summer end for Kemper" and other riveting discussions, whining, excitement, whinging, drooling, wailing and gnashing of teeth. :)

Jeffro

Justin,

Thanks again. I believe there was still interest in this thread from others willing to pay for your profiles, assuming they come out well.

I needed to actually close and reopen Rig Manager to get it to see your latest uploads/re-uploads of the old patches. Thanks, brother!

Jeffro

8|8|8|8|

Have you tried a new set of valves? EL84 are awesome. If you don't crank the power amp the EL84 character shouldn't be quite as strong but still add some life to the pre-amp profiles. Failing that use the FX return on a head (borrow a mates if you don't have one).

If I was closer I would take the 20/20 off your hands in a heartbeat just to have one :)

And I would happily sell it to you. It's never met my expectations and basically just sounds like a blanket was placed over the cab when you throw any preamp single through it. Comparing it to the VHT 2502 or even Mesa's 2:90 is like comparing an AM radio to SACD recordings. :) As always, YMMV.

Thanks,

Jeffro

They can’t even pronounce their own language correctly. Much less criticize others. I mean.... they can’t say aluminum without adding extra accents and an i to get al-you-min-eee-um.

Ohhh... I thought you you were saying Americans said it that way. LOL We now return you to the actual topic.... I'm super jazzed for the Kone to be released to market so I can pop one or two of those into my Mesa Boogie Oversized Recto 2x12 cab and pair it with whatever power amp I end up getting for my Kemper rack. :)

Try getting them to explain why they pronounce processes "processEEZ". bwahahahaha

Wait, who the heck says "ProcessEEZ"? As a native-born American, I've never heard any "English as a first language" person say it that way in the States. It sounds like something you would hear one of the nerds on "Big Bang Theory" say if they were giving a lecture and affecting an English accent; "The processEEZ of protein synthesis within the gestating hippocampus takes place within the male species of this particular fauna." :P

Jeffro

You should be fine without a DI box but just remember that the preamp often sounds pretty lifeless without a power amp attached. Where possible I would try hooking your pre amp of choice up to a valve power amp and profiling with a DI Box on the speaker out of the power amp. The results are much more convincing and dynamic.

You might notice there is one commercial vendor with lots of Pre Amp packs like Triaxis, ADA MP1, Marshall JMP1 , Soldano etc. All of them were profiled with a power amp though for good reason.

Thanks, Alan. Unfortunately, the only power amp I have is a Mesa Boogie 20/20 power amp with EL84 tubes which basically, IMHO, "suck the life out" of every preamp I've ever used with it, hence my question. I have a couple different preamp packs from commercial vendors for the preamps you mention, but was hoping to do my own (Digitech GSP-2101 Artist, Mesa Boogie Triaxis, ADA MP-1, Fractal Axe-FX Standard), if for no other reason than my own curiosity. Plus, I thought it might be cool to offer the GSP-2101 Artist profiles, since I haven't seen anyone do those, yet.

I appreciate the feedback... I'd love to do as you suggest if I had a nice EL34 or KT88 power amp like a VHT 2502 or Engl or something. The EL84's basically have zero high end or "sparkle"... but if you want to do jazz with a 335, I'd imagine it would kick ass.

Jeffro