Posts by SliderJeff

Hey gang,

I'm a huge fan of Frank's early stuff (post-Rockman tone on "Brave New Guitar") on "Thunder from Down Under" and "Noteworker". In particular, his pre-studio release version of "Leave Ozone Alone" off of his "Monster Licks and Speed Picking" really floats my boat. At the time, I believe he was using a Mesa Boogie 50 Calibre head into a Peavey 50/50 power amp ,all through Bag End cabs with EV speakers. If anyone has a profile that they think gets close to this, I'd love to check it out!

Rather than post a clip of the VHS version of the song I reference above from YouTube, check out this clip from the DVD version of his instructional vid that does a much better job showcasing the tone:

https://go.platformpurple.com/shop/1337?e=alfred

Thanks!

Hey gang,

I'm sure this may have been asked and answered several times, but my searching hasn't yielded a definitive answer with regards to this question. If I understand correctly, if I wanted an overdrive pedal that is not already included in the kemper, I would have to profile my own setup with said stomp either by itself to have a DI profile, or in combination with an amp/power amp and cab/mic to create a merged or studio profile, correct? Since the likelihood of me ever having the specific pedal and amp and cab that I want to hear is pretty low (hence my purchase of the Kemper in the first place so that I can take advantage of all the other user's gear and profiles), I was wondering/hoping that the new stomp overhaul would allow profiles of stomps only, and the ability to store those into a stomp slot so that it could be used in conjunction with any amp profile I chose to use. My gut says that perhaps this is outside the scope of what the Kemper can do, but if someone has alternative info, I'd love to know that.

Thanks!

Those look like narrow cuts to tune the PA to the room. It’s perfectly normal and required to stop feedback and acoustic problems in the room. You shouldn’t need to do anything just trust the sound guy.

Exactly. My first thought looking at those bands was that the engineer was trying to notch out resonant frequencies with floor, walls, etc... At some point you need to trust that the sound guy knows his room better than you do. That's not ALWAYS the case, but, in general, I think it happens more often than not. If you use a wireless setup, I'd walk around out where the crowd will be during soundcheck to try to get a sense of what your overall audio experience is through the house sound system. Ideally, you'd have someone messing around with your Kemper's EQ while you give them the thumbs up or down. Sometimes just a subtle adjustment with a parametric EQ can make all the difference in avoiding nasty resonances and attaining a better "cut through the mix" tone for a specific instrument. If you can't personally walk out there, yourself, have another band member (like the drummer) walk out there and listen critically while you and the bassist and keyboardist/horns/whatever instruments share your guitar's bandwidth, , play. That assumes your drummer can tell good sound from a hole in the ground. :) Hope that helps. There's a whole lot of science in audio, but sometimes it requires a bit of a artistic touch to paint the soundscape that you are looking for, particularly if your venue changes on a nightly basis.

DOH! Sorry. I can totally try to do that in between staring at this stupid spreadsheet I've been working on for days. :) Sorry if it was placed in the wrong spot.

PS - Glad you liked this one from Angel. :)

Digging Scale the Summit (first link with Angel again... he's a guest solo whore, it seems :P )

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Love some of the ethereal tones he gets on his clean and tapped passages.

LOL! I forgot ol' Seb did that. Totally forgot that the Dragonforce dude took over the reins after the amazing Tony Harnell left, too. Ah, the music of my youth still sounds pretty good to my old ears. :)

Can't say that I've had anything other than a positive auditory experience using either my Sennheiser HD580 Precision open air or my HD280PRO closed back headphones through the Kemper headphone jack. I'm still mid-reorganziation of my study/music room, so I haven't had a chance to hook it up to my MOTU Traveler or RME Fireface 400 audio interfaces connected to my Yorkville YSM-1p powered monitors. But once I do, I'm sure the eardrum nirvana will continue. Good luck in sussing out your issue, but I agree with Atlantic that you might benefit from a nice factory reset or wiping out the current global settings in case something got fubarred in there.

Welcome! Check out Guido's amazing Carvin V3 profiles for "the price of a cup of coffee" if you are thinking you might want to downsize your rig and sell the actual amp. You can find it here:

[Guidorist]The price of a coffee|New: Carve V Legend & clips

Have fun!

PS - I have no affiliation with Guido, nor do I get any compensation for talking him up... I just think his stuff is pretty great, well-priced, and he plays a mean guit-fiddle! :)

The question we should be asking is why we aren't out enjoying the Summer too instead of getting hot under the collar about an editor? It's sweltering outside! 8)

"Enjoying the Summer" in Houston, Texas is an impossibility. Now if you had said, "Enjoy experimenting changing your form of matter from a solid to a liquid ala Zan, of Wondertwins fame, turning into a bucket of sweat", I'd be totally onboard. Houston, aka "The Devil's Butthole", where it's pleasant to be outside 1 out of 52 weeks a year. #swampass #nutsweat #ewwwgross :P

Damn, my eyesight is getting worse. I thought that said "someway to profile your FAX" :D

Now that is old school technology. But if we can profile Valves why not Faxes 8o

Completely off-topic, but relative to your FAX topic, I literally had to FAX something for my wife this morning and texted her a response of, "1992 called... they received your FAX and hope that you've enjoyed your trip through the WayBack Machine™. Please enjoy this free subscription CD-ROM to AOL as a thank you." :P